[SOLVED] 5800X OR 3800X in a non-gaming environment?

Feb 4, 2021
What's the best option between Ryzen 5 5800X vs Ryzen 7 3800X in a non-gaming environment?

I will use the CPU for plotting CAD layouts, generates reports of thousands of pages etc. In short - I need a power horse.

I see 3800x it's a lot cheaper than 5800X.

I would say
a) I would need a CPU suitable for multi-tasking - so should I choose 3800x

OR

b) but maybe my workload is not that multi-tasking oriented and MAYBE I will benefit more from a single core performance oriented CPU (5800X).

Decisions, decisions...

Solution
What's the best option between Ryzen 5 5800X vs Ryzen 7 3800X in a non-gaming environment?

I will use the CPU for plotting CAD layouts, generates reports of thousands of pages etc. In short - I need a power horse.

I would say

OR

b) but maybe my workload is not that multi-tasking oriented and MAYBE I will benefit more from a single core performance oriented CPU (5800X).

Decisions, decisions...

You've overthinking it.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_7_3800x-930-vs-amd_ryzen_7_5800x-1747

The 5800X is the better single core and the better multi-core chip. The 5800X is the...

DSzymborski

Titan

I would say

OR

Decisions, decisions...

You've overthinking it.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_7_3800x-930-vs-amd_ryzen_7_5800x-1747

The 5800X is the better single core and the better multi-core chip. The 5800X is the better gaming CPU and the better workstation CPU.

Whether the price is worth the 15-20% boost is up to you. But the 3800X isn't a superior multitasking choice.

Reactions: Makaveli
Solution

kanewolf

Titan

I would say

OR

Decisions, decisions...
You need a BALANCED system. From your other post you have a B450 motherboard. So you should look at if this CPU upgrade is balanced with the rest of the build. CAD layouts and 1000 page reports, benefit from fast storage and large memory. 2x16GB of fast RAM might improve your performance more than the 5800. Same with storage. If you have spinning disks, converting most of your storage to SSD could provide more benefit than the extra CPU. You need to look at the system, not just the CPU.

Reactions: alexbirdie
I really see no big dilemma here: 5800X is in average up to 20% faster than 3800X. If that difference in performance is worth the price difference for you, then get 5800X -if not, get 3800X.
Horse power for printing... ok, don't consider myself as an expert in this, but printer/plotter is among the slowest peripheral devices and so I can imagine even 3700X would suffice. There's probably a reason why no CPU benchmarks for printing exist.

Just sharing my thoughts