[SOLVED] 5800x or the 5950x

I already have the 5800x but I just got my income tax and I want the 5950x but I don't want it if you all know what I mean, Maybe some of you can help me decide, I could use 16 core 32 threads but not all the time, and if I did buy the 5950x I can always sell my 5800x pretty quickly with another x470 board I have laying around.

I got a 6800xt and well the 5800x does pretty well for the most part but like I said I could use 5950x is some cases with video ending and I do run VM's from time to time, be nice but not really necessary I guess.

Im still leaning towards getting a bigger m.2 and just completely retire from using a HDD for games I don't play often and use the small SSD I have for another PC, and going.

What are some of you thoughts, help me make up my mind. lol

Solution
Depends entirely on if you feel you will need those 16 cores/32 threads of the 5950X....

If primarily just surfing and gaming, all those cores/threads are pretty much wasted/not needed/not advantageous...; in other words, the 5800X is plenty.

Running a few VMs for fun at home lab playing is not all that taxing...so I'd not let the desire to run a handful of VMs convince you that you 'need' a 5950X.

If you intend to run apps (editing/encoding) that will benefit from more than 8 cores/16 threads, then the 5900X and 5950X are certainly serious options.

(Assuming you are pondering only the AMD options because you already have an X470 board? You certainly don't want to rule out the 12900K, which is at the apex of...
Depends entirely on if you feel you will need those 16 cores/32 threads of the 5950X....

If primarily just surfing and gaming, all those cores/threads are pretty much wasted/not needed/not advantageous...; in other words, the 5800X is plenty.

Running a few VMs for fun at home lab playing is not all that taxing...so I'd not let the desire to run a handful of VMs convince you that you 'need' a 5950X.

If you intend to run apps (editing/encoding) that will benefit from more than 8 cores/16 threads, then the 5900X and 5950X are certainly serious options.

(Assuming you are pondering only the AMD options because you already have an X470 board? You certainly don't want to rule out the 12900K, which is at the apex of gaming performance currently, and even challenges the 5950X in some core dependent /thriving apps)

Solution

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
With the launch of amd's new line of processors just around the corner, upgrading from a 5800 to a 5950 doesn't sound appealing to me. Even the unreleased 5800x3d wouldn't appeal to me right now.

With the launch of amd's new line of processors just around the corner, upgrading from a 5800 to a 5950 doesn't sound appealing to me. Even the unreleased 5800x3d wouldn't appeal to me right now.
Yeah I agree, But It will also not be at a compelling price for a while for who knows what kind of performance gains aside from marketing from what I've seen so far, Not even sure its going to be worth it yet.

(Assuming you are pondering only the AMD options because you already have an X470 board? You certainly don't want to rule out the 12900K, which is at the apex of gaming performance currently, and even challenges the 5950X in some core dependent /thriving apps)

I have a Asus x570 Tuff board for my system and I have a spare Asrock x470 board I picked up in a trade for other stuff I had in November, See some things like video editing, and rendering, I gave up on that when my threadripper system motherboard died, it was cheaper to buy a used x570 and a 5800x then it was to replace the board, But now I've been getting back into video editing some of my gameplay footage, and I've always played with VM's but sometimes the 5800x isn't quite a enough to lets say play a somewhat demanding game like Forza Horizon 5 while waiting for a long update on Linux or in my case Windows 7, takes ages to install updates even on a SSD for a single program I need it for lol.

I think i'm leaning towards a 5900x, I have Store credit at Micro Center anyway. and it'll pay for around 25 - 30% or so of a 5900x if I did go that route, leaves me with more than enough for a 2tb m.2.

I just wanted idea's I know for single core performance and gaming, yeah not really worth it, I agree, I can make some money back by selling the 5800x with that x470 I have laying around and a 250gb sata SSD, I may even have some DDR4 laying around, so it would nearly pay off the 5900x on the used market.

Thanks guys!

Makaveli

Splendid
I already have the 5800x but I just got my income tax and I want the 5950x but I don't want it if you all know what I mean, Maybe some of you can help me decide, I could use 16 core 32 threads but not all the time, and if I did buy the 5950x I can always sell my 5800x pretty quickly with another x470 board I have laying around.

I got a 6800xt and well the 5800x does pretty well for the most part but like I said I could use 5950x is some cases with video ending and I do run VM's from time to time, be nice but not really necessary I guess.

Im still leaning towards getting a bigger m.2 and just completely retire from using a HDD for games I don't play often and use the small SSD I have for another PC, and going.

What are some of you thoughts, help me make up my mind. lol

unless you need 8 more cores it will be side grade and not worth it.

Reactions: Why_Me
unless you need 8 more cores it will be side grade and not worth it.

Yeah, ended up going with the 5900x, ended up selling the 5800x yesterday to my brother and a x470 board for $150, ya know family, and got his old build that was mine prior to even my Threadripper machine that died (I need to update my sig), Evga x99 Classified with a i7 5960x, So I can sell the board for a good chunk of change but not sure about the i7.

Overall, yeah the 5900x isn't much of an upgrade, but rendering a video that once took around 30min on the 5800x takes around 15 -16 min, and My VM's, I haven't played much with them yet, but them 4 extra cores should help in some cases.

Ended up going with a Inland 2TB gen 4 m.2 as well, if I got the 5950x I'd probably pass on the 2tb m.2, not the fastes in the world but it still plenty faster than a sata SSD.

Last edited: