Question 5800x suddenly can't use OC it's been using for nearly a year, nor anything past 3800MHz

CastledCard

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Today has been a giant headache completely out of the blue. Here's a quick spec list to get ya'll up to speed.

Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X-570 Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X OC'd to 4600MHz
GPU: RTX 3080
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G+
RAM: 4x G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16GB

My computer has been on a loop of restarting over and over again. It started very slowly. I was in Vegas Pro editing a video and I left for a few hours and came back and saw that my PC was on the login screen so it restarted while I was gone. Didn't think much of it and logged back in. Edited for maybe another half an hour and my computer randomly restarted (thankfully I'd just saved).

I thought it may have been EVGA Precision causing a bad overclock on my GPU since the restart wasn't instant for a while, and occurred about a minute after I got to the desktop, but that wasn't it. The computer then entered a phase where my PC was stuck boot looping where it would get pass RAM, but couldn't proceed past CPU, and it would cycle between the two, so I took out my CPU, cleaned it, reinstalled it and that fixed the boot looping issue.

Now, I can only have the motherboard at factory settings with the CPU clock at 3800MHz. I then enabled DOCP to get my RAM up to 3600MHz, and my other auto OC settings in the BIOS that sets the CPU clock to 4200MHz, but the auto OC to 4200 causes a crash shortly after the desktop. DOCP is fine though, so I'm pretty sure the RAM is fine as it's still currently at 3600MHz and I'm not crashing.

Temperatures are fine so nothing is overheating.

At this point idk if my CPU, or motherboard went bad, or what's going on.

Edit: I had a stable 4200MHz while going around the the desktop and in browser, but when I did a multi-core Cinebench benchmark it immediately crashed, but not when doing it with 3800MHz.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS