[SOLVED] 5800x Windows 10 update always fails

wzis

Commendable
May 3, 2018
I recently got a 5800x+B550 PC, using an SSD from my old laptop with Windows 1903. It's running stable but has a problem to get Windows 10 update: every time when I ran update, no error is reported, but when reboot, it will get into a state that it will ask for the keyboard layout, and then will ask whether you want to exit and continue to boot into the Windows, or choose another OS to boot, etc. If you select choose another OS, you will see there were 2 entries that can be selected from, one is the Current Windows, and the other one with no name, but if you select it, the machine will still go into the Windows. But no matter which one you choose, once logged in to Windows and check, you will find the Windows is still at the original 1903 level.

Solution
I want to keep the apps I have bought the licenses that's the reason I can't re-install the new version.
You can try to do what's called a Repair Install with an in-place upgrade. You're installing Windows on top of an existing install. It will retain the settings and installed apps you already have while detecting new/changed hardware an installing only drivers and settings appropriate for it. After doing the install let it do all updates as there may be a few. But fair warning: it doesn't always fix a horribly mangled setup so you might still have to do a full-on clean install. So try to get your files backed up first, and all your passwords, licenses, keys and activation codes.

Here's the complete instructions...
you can't just move an installed OS disk with drivers for one chipset over to a new computer, reboot, and expect it to work.

(Not the least of which, if it was an OEM laptop, that OEM-licensed OS dies with the laptop and is not transferable...; not catastrophic, as you can download the latest WIn10 installation media, and simply use it inactivated if you have no product key)

Colif

Win 11 Master
That depends
if old laptop was win 7 updated to win 10, he can move license (though not how he did it)
if old laptop was win 10 originally, then its likely to deactivate itself over time.
if licence linked to his email address, he can move it - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

but just getting windows working is different to getting licence working. Both are related though.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The Windows OS is on the old SSD disk, I put a new key to enable it on the new PC.

The next step is to properly install Windows on your new PC. Unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install (and you'd know if you did), it's not intended to be modular in this fashion. It frequently can work if all the drivers get along becuase Microsoft is aware people like to cut corners, but a large percentage of the time, you'll encounter significant problems, whether it's a complete failure to run at launch or nagging hiccups you'll have to hunt down for months or years.

So to eliminate it as a source of the problem, the first step is to install Windows correctly. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

wzis

Commendable
May 3, 2018
I have bought a new License for the Windows, and did clean reboot, so the Windows is working fine, only when I used the "Windows 10 Update Assistant" to try update the windows, it always fails to update and without showing an error, just when the reboot, it asks for keyboard layout selection.

D

Deleted member 14196

If you installed windows cleanly you would have the latest version and wouldn’t have to update anything. so that let me know you didn’t do a clean install

That SSD needs to be re-formatted and then have windows properly installed on it

Use the windows media creation tool to create a new USB with which to install the latest copy of windows

I want to keep the apps I have bought the licenses that's the reason I can't re-install the new version.
You own the apps. You should just need to reinstall them and go through what ever activation process they need. If you need to enter a key that is something you will need to find and should have saved. If your drive ever died (does happen) you don’t need to buy all software again when you install a replacement drive and then reinstall the programs.

At the moment you are lucky Windows even boots with what you have done, there was a chance it would not have run at all.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes you were on borrowed time as it is. Any piece of hardware could fail—especially the hard drive and you lose everything anyway so your excuse is null and void.

Go through your emails and find all of your apps that need registration. you should have the emails for software you purchased and reinstall windows. Else you can suffer with your current problem forever

You can try to do what's called a Repair Install with an in-place upgrade. You're installing Windows on top of an existing install. It will retain the settings and installed apps you already have while detecting new/changed hardware an installing only drivers and settings appropriate for it. After doing the install let it do all updates as there may be a few. But fair warning: it doesn't always fix a horribly mangled setup so you might still have to do a full-on clean install. So try to get your files backed up first, and all your passwords, licenses, keys and activation codes.

Here's the complete instructions:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Solution