Question 5800x with h150i - High temps

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
Hello, I am currently owner of Ryzen 7 5800x and Corsair H150i cooler
Sadly I noticed that my temps of my CPU are pretty high even in idle. Temps idle are between 55 and 60 with chrome, Discord open, gaming PUBG can go sometimes over 80C

CPU is OC'ed to 4600 MHz static on all cores with 1.3V. I will add a picture of my HWM.

Pump going with 2500 RPM, Pump fans with 1100 RPM. Pump connected to CPU_FAN connector on Motherboard.
NZXT unistalled, ICUE running.

What can I do to get the temps way better? I tried also to reseat the pump and CPU again with thermal paste.

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
Make and model of your case and the orientation of your AIO with regards to the case you're working with? BIOS version for your motherboard? Speaking of which, please list the specs to your entire build.
Sorry for that.

NZXT H710 case with 3 front fans
H150i Corsair AIO 360mm built at the top of the case.

Asus Prime x470 - Pro, 5843 Version BIOS
2x8 GB Corsair Vengenance Pro RGB 3600
Geforce RTX 3070 Ti Asus TUF
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x OC'ed to 4600 Mhz static on all cores with 1.3V

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
QS51BUL.png

Lutfij

Titan
I'd advise that you save the settings for your BIOS(on a couple of sheets of paper), since you've got BIOS versions pending update. I'd also remove the cooling block and inspect your mounting on the CPU. That being said, does the radiator feel warm to the touch when you're seeing temps like that?

H150i Corsair AIO 360mm built at the top of the case

Orientation of the fans?

Besides what Lutfij wrote, I would really remove the static OC, theres no point overcloking a Ryzen 7 5800X that way.

Either you leave it stock, or if your motherboard allows it enable PBO2 overdrive + curve optimizer and try a negative number (I would start with 5~15).

And I agree with Lutfij about the AIO, try to see what the temps are with the cpu at stock settings, if you see it going near to 101°C while runing cinebench, then there could an issue with the AIO.

Sorry for that.

H150i Corsair AIO 360mm built at the top of the case.

Asus Prime x470 - Pro, 5843 Version BIOS
2x8 GB Corsair Vengenance Pro RGB 3600
Geforce RTX 3070 Ti Asus TUF
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x OC'ed to 4600 Mhz static on all cores with 1.3V
A few considerations...

With the radiator mounted at top it will use the hot air from the GPU's exhaust to try and cool off the CPU. A much better mount is in front (if that case will fit a 360mm radiator) so it's using cool air being drawn in. However, that's really only an issue when gaming or otherwise using the GPU really hard.

Another is look at an average temperature as well as the maximum and current temperature. Reason is Ryzen's are very dynamic so you'll get really high temp spikes from time to time. Suggested is HWInfo64 which has an averaging readout, and as well you can graph the temperature over time to see the spikes and how it's changing.

That said: 101C is way too hot in any circumstance, it should never go over 90 or 95C. Definitely look into cooler mounting as well as possible contamination that blocks fins in the water block. And last: I agree to drop that fixed OC. You're actually hurting performance when a core can be regularly boosting to 4.9Ghz+ with a PBO overclock and CO undervolt while gaming.

Last edited: