[SOLVED] 5800x with RTX GPU for dedicated streaming

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I have a 5800x and RTX 3070 build right now and plan to game and stream casually from the same PC from time to time. I've heard that RTX video cards have a dedicated encoder to stream from instead of putting the work on the cpu (forgot what its exactly called atm). Has anyone used this and does it really help the cpu work less when streaming and use less cores?

Solution
Yes, that would be the NVENC encoder built into the GPU. Basically does the compression for you. I suggest trying both methods to see how it effects performance. Depending on your resolution and settings, you might want the CPU to take on the job, or buy a dedicated capture card.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, that would be the NVENC encoder built into the GPU. Basically does the compression for you. I suggest trying both methods to see how it effects performance. Depending on your resolution and settings, you might want the CPU to take on the job, or buy a dedicated capture card.

Solution

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I let obs manually set up my stream and then I streamed cyberpunk maxed out, it felt good ingame only a tiny bit laggish now and again compared to without the stream but my actually stream was lagging and chopping all over when I watched it back, I then tried the encoder at 900p for dying light 2 and streamed it perfectly for 180-240FPS in-game maxed out settings. Still need to test a new game on the nvec encoder at 1080p though.