Question 5800x wont post

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 4, 2022
Ryzen 5800x won’t post. Everything else turns on. Fans spin, AIO pump works. I get a black screen and the red light on the mother board. I’ve tried updating the bios twice.

System info
Ryzen 5800x
B450 Tomahawk Max (bios ver 7c02V3A. Also tried BIOS 7C02v3F)
16gb (8x2) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200
(DIMM in A2 and B2)
Deepcool castle 240ex AIO
MSI ventus 2x 3070 (Ventus 2x is the name of the card. I do not have to 3070s)
EVGA 650w 80 bronze
I am getting power to USB

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
So they are throwing around a lot of used or rma'd hardware because they're trying to rake back some cash too

if it's too good to be true, it isn't. Some people freak out about buying 2nd hand gear. I'd buy 2nd hand gear from mainstream retailers (is that saying too much?) but not from some flea market unless it was dirt cheap like $5 bucks no matter what hi tech it's supposed to be. Then at least you only get scammed for 5 bucks.

Sep 4, 2022
Looking again, it shows the 5800x is supported with the latest beta bios.

it shows the latest bios is 7C02v3F released on 8-12-22 if I’m looking at the correct board. Do you have a link to your board?
The current bios installed is the 7C02v3A. That was the first bios update for the 5000 series support. I tried the 3F the first time I installed the CPU and had zero luck so I pushed the the 3A to see if it would boot with the older but compatible bios

Was the cpu purchased from a shop or private sale? If I’m not mistaken the bios version I put up according to their site was what was needed.

Have you tried a single stick of ram? Maybe try to reset the cmos and try again. If you still can’t boot I’d say the cpu could be the issue then since the 3600 boots and you verified the latest beta bios as they show.

Sep 4, 2022
Was the cpu purchased from a shop or private sale? If I’m not mistaken the bios version I put up according to their site was what was needed.

Have you tried a single stick of ram? Maybe try to reset the cmos and try again. If you still can’t boot I’d say the cpu could be the issue then since the 3600 boots and you verified the latest beta bios as they show.
it was a private seller. I purchased the 3600 the same way and had zero problems so I tried again for the 5800x. I reset the CMOS after the first attempt. I havent tried the single stick of ram.

Ryzen 5800x won’t post. Everything else turns on. Fans spin, AIO pump works. I get a black screen and the red light on the mother board. I’ve tried updating the bios twice.

System info
Ryzen 5800x
B450 Tomahawk Max (bios ver 7c02V3A. Also tried BIOS 7C02v3F)
16gb (8x2) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200
(DIMM in A2 and B2)
Deepcool castle 240ex AIO
MSI ventus 2x 3070 (Ventus 2x is the name of the card. I do not have to 3070s)
EVGA 650w 80 bronze
I am getting power to USB
Okay before this all sprials out of control again how are you trying to update the bios, are you using the new CPU during the attempt to update the bios?, Or are you using the 3600 to try and update the bios... The 5800 won't allow you to update the bios the system doesn't even notice it. You need to update the bios using the 3600 seeing as it is recognized.

Sep 4, 2022
Okay before this all sprials out of control again how are you trying to update the bios, are you using the new CPU during the attempt to update the bios?, Or are you using the 3600 to try and update the bios... The 5800 won't allow you to update the bios the system doesn't even notice it. You need to update the bios using the 3600 seeing as it is recognized.
The 3600 was installed both times I’ve updated the bios. I flashed the bios in the motherboard bios menu using a usb drive

The 3600 was installed both times I’ve updated the bios. I flashed the bios in the motherboard bios menu using a usb drive
The 5800 is a doa and you need to contact the seller and request a replacement you rma this one and any future issues in warrenty period won't be covered cause they already warrentied a CPU once for you they won't warrenty a warrentied CPU after 3w

Reactions: Wembley360
Sep 4, 2022
The 5800 is a doa and you need to contact the seller and request a replacement you rma this one and any future issues in warrenty period won't be covered cause they already warrentied a CPU once for you they won't warrenty a warrentied CPU after 3w
Yeah that’s what I was worried about. I got a lemon from a private seller.

Not that you want to think bad of people but you’ve got to wonder if the seller knew prior to the sale and you were their unlucky target. Don’t know that police would bother with it and if they did, it would be your word against theirs anyway. Best practice in my opinion, if you are buying used try to use eBay where they have their money back guarantee so if for example a cpu doesn’t work you can at least open a case and say the item wasn’t as described.

Sep 4, 2022
Update..
Not that you want to think bad of people but you’ve got to wonder if the seller knew prior to the sale and you were their unlucky target. Don’t know that police would bother with it and if they did, it would be your word against theirs anyway. Best practice in my opinion, if you are buying used try to use eBay where they have their money back guarantee so if for example a cpu doesn’t work you can at least open a case and say the item wasn’t as described.
update to the CPU drama. 3 pins were a little wonky. I was able to wiggle them back in to position. I reinstalled the 5800x, cleared CMOS and got it to boot to the bios menu and only the bios menu. I changed the OS to CSM from UEFI and got it to windows. I still had a Red CPU LED so I flashed the bios again when the most current and got that to go away but now it will only boot if the OS is in CSM.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Here's an article on csm boot related problems. The windows installation isn't configured properly.

you can convert the mbr to gpt