Question 5800x wont post

Sep 4, 2022
Ryzen 5800x won’t post. Everything else turns on. Fans spin, AIO pump works. I get a black screen and the red light on the mother board. I’ve tried updating the bios twice.

System info
Ryzen 5800x
B450 Tomahawk Max (bios ver 7c02V3A. Also tried BIOS 7C02v3F)
16gb (8x2) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200
(DIMM in A2 and B2)
Deepcool castle 240ex AIO
MSI ventus 2x 3070 (Ventus 2x is the name of the card. I do not have to 3070s)
EVGA 650w 80 bronze
I am getting power to USB

Last edited:
Ryzen 5800x won’t post. Everything else turns on. Fans spin, AIO pump works. I get a black screen and the red light on the mother board. I’ve tried updating the bios twice.

System info
Ryzen 5800x
B450 Tomahawk Max (bios ver 7c02V3A. Also tried BIOS 7C02v3F)
16gb (8x2) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200
(D
Deepcool castle 240ex AIO
MSI ventus 2x 3070
EVGA 650w 80 bronze
Psu isn't strong enough "should be" or CPU is a doa and would recommend requesting a replacement, or ram in wrong position

Reactions: Wembley360

DavidM012

Distinguished
There's nothing wrong with the CPU. The board is a b450 when you should be using a b550. The cpu fits in the socket but the board isn't strong enough to support it.

The problem is you didn't plan your build here and ask for advice on building it. Here's some examples of what people are building with a 5800x:

Some example 5000 series ryzen builds

Bit further along the higher end of the scale.

The titans & mods haven't reacted yet because they're thinking you don't understand ryzen yet. Would you understand the advice you're given?

You should be using Zen 2 with that board and not Zen 3. So a 3600. Oh so the zen 3 fits in the socket and they want it to work. Ok but it will be tough on the board, run for a few days and kaput if you even get it going at all.

Also the psu isn't the corsair 650 RM gold that the builder is using with the 5800x build or the corsair tx 650 m with his 5600 build. with entirely different mobo's.

And even then you don't know why really they're using that specific corsair 650 whatever with that specific build or if it's suited to your build in terms of price/performance.

Also no idea if the memory is compatible since you didn't list the part number indicating that maybe you just bought any random dimms and didn't consult the motherboard qvl for compatible dimms and then try and see if the ones you chose were even in stock.

You can't simply cobble together a Ryzen frankenbuild you have to check the compatibility of the motherboards, read the reviews, search the memory and look up power supplies, understand the board you're buying is low mid range, get used to the idea it doesn't become top of the range through wishful thinking.

Also notice they are using CAS 18 memory with these builds and the 650w corsair power supplies. Not cas 16 or 14 or 15.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ryzen-5000-ram-guide

This article goes into a bit more depth about the memory configuration. When they use the ryzen 9 5900x with the fast memory and large 1200w psu that's leveraging the scalability of the 5000 series between the upper mid range and high end. The faster memory (and even beefier cpu) draws more power too. Plus the overclock.

In the other builds they're just aiming to get the 1:1 ratio with the fclk at 3600mhz and cas 18 rather than cas 14 and rather than the 4000mhz overclock with the cas 15 memory, because it's not guaranteed that every 5000 series will reach 4000mhz and it's not considered the optimal configuration.

They aren't all trying to overclock because there's no free mhz in it anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew

DavidM012

Distinguished
two 3070's isn't beneficial for gaming

'For other use cases, the extra GPU horsepower might help, depending on the app, but not for gaming'. I think these things are searchable and a lot of the questions could be answered if they knew to search their choice of hardware.

and the memory isn't on the qvl for vermeer

Tomahawk Vermeer Memory Support List

And the 3200mhz memory speed hasn't been selected to optimize with the infinity fabric at 3600mhz which is what would give a bit of a boost to gaming. It's cas 16 rather than cas 18 too. Which will speed up the mem and increase the power draw. 'if it worked'. The incompatibility prevented the system from starting? If the problem was only the memory however the manual says the board would emit 3 long beeps.

So he overspent on gpus, underspent on psu and mobo and didn't grasp one of the features of zen 3.

And he didn't state his purpose for the rig. Taking a process of trial and error in troubleshooting without consulting the manual is another problem.

Error codes from the speaker and q LED indicators can report a fault. They don't always simply attach the speaker, if there is one.

So there's plenty of issues.

The Manual also says on page 97 if not boot after loading bios then load secondary bios. However it's not clear that the board has a secondary bios or how to load it. The index doesn't say anything about load secondary bios. Page 39 bios section says nothing about a secondary bios.

The inference from the absence of info on that being that the board isn't working but it could be not working for several reasons including user error, eg, the frankenbuild which hasn't been streamlined.

And ultimately getting the machine to switch on with those two gpus and weak power supply could just overwhelm the power supply so it's like a booby trap.

Then that's not the half of it. Removing one gpu will reduce the power draw but some damage might already have been done.

So trying to solve it only makes things worse. The user doesn't want to remove a gpu to reduce the power draw or understand why it must be done.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022

'For other use cases, the extra GPU horsepower might help, depending on the app, but not for gaming'. I think these things are searchable and a lot of the questions could be answered if they knew to search their choice of hardware.

And the 3200mhz memory speed hasn't been selected to optimize with the infinity fabric at 3600mhz which is what would give a bit of a boost to gaming. It's cas 16 rather than cas 18 too. Which will speed up the mem and increase the power draw. 'if it worked'. The incompatibility prevented the system from starting? If the problem was only the memory however the manual says the board would emit 3 long beeps.

So he overspent on gpus, underspent on psu and mobo and didn't grasp one of the features of zen 3.

And he didn't state his purpose for the rig. Taking a process of trial and error in troubleshooting without consulting the manual is another problem.

Error codes from the speaker and q LED indicators can report a fault. They don't always simply attach the speaker, if there is one.

The Manual also says on page 97 if not boot after loading bios then load secondary bios. However it's not clear that the board has a secondary bios or how to load it. The index doesn't say anything about load secondary bios. Page 39 bios section says nothing about a secondary bios.

The inference from the absence of info on that being that the board isn't working but it could be not working for several reasons including user error, eg, the frankenbuild which hasn't been streamlined.

And ultimately getting the machine to switch on with those two gpus and weak power supply could just overwhelm the power supply so it's like a booby trap.

Then that's not the half of it. Removing one gpu will reduce the power draw but some damage might already have been done.

So trying to solve it only makes things worse. The user doesn't want to remove a gpu to reduce the power draw or understand why it must be done.
Ventus 2x Is the name of the card. I did not buy two 3070s. I was upgrading from 3600 to the 5800x.

Sep 4, 2022

Ok, I was trying to keep it brief but there seems to be confusion. I am moving from a 3600 to a 5800x cpu and from a 2060 to a 3070. The name of the 3070 is the MSI Ventus 2x OC. I did not see a need to buy a new mother board because the B450 tomahawk Max is rated for the 5000 series CPUs with the correct bios update (which I did install). When I installed the 5800 and when to boot there are no beeps. Just the red LED. As per page 38 in the user manual, that LED is CPU not detected/Failed. I reinstalled the 3600. Booted fine. Re installed the bios from MSI listed for compatibility for 5000 series, and the reinstalled the 5800x and received the same LED. I made the post to see if there was anything else is should try or is the CPU just dead. I’m not the most competent at building but I am not completely incompetent and I did, in fact, check all the compatibility of my parts before a made the purchase.

I think the board and cpu are likely fine. What’s probably going on is the op’s board doesn’t have an updated bios that supports zen 3. I can say that because I’m running a ryzen 5 5600x on an Asrock b350 board that gave it support with a beta bios. I’m actually considering to upgrade it to a 5900x and see how long I can run this system. Wouldn’t mind getting to late gen am5 or even am6.

But if the bios isn’t updated in the op’s case, it would probably act the way he’s saying with fans on etc but no boot. I see you said you tried updating the bios already. Do you have an older cpu to try? On my Asrock board you had to update to certain bridge bios versions before you could move up to the newer versions. So you may check into that as well.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
The OP had a 3600 and upgraded from it and updated the bios already

The likelihood of the cpu being doa is low. It's brand new and there isn't a lot to go wrong. No moving parts. It hasn't been exposed to excessive power only placed in a socket normally and taken out normally while the previous cpu still works so the system is ok apparently nothing has died.

The error condition with the cpu could just be the result of being underpowered. The TDP of the cpu is 105w. The tdp of the gpu card is 220w but under load could be as high as 405w. The mobo draws some power too.

So your estimated power draw of 475w isn't based on science. It could be higher because the Max power draw is over 70% of the psu capacity and running the PSU at full capacity isn't good for it since the amount of power it actually can supply is less due to wear and degradation.

So the cpu is detecting an error condition with the power situation. It draws more power than the 3600 because it has to.

That leads to reading more about power supplies. The others are using corsair 650w Gold rather than bronze units as I mentioned before.

Also the memory could be incompatible with it which is another reason for an error condition but because there is more than one problem it isn't being reported because the error condition with low power for the cpu perhaps takes precedence.

the only way you can get to all the read between the lines undocumented only learned by experience stuff is to spend the money on hardware and experimenting.

This can kind of work if your day job is building PCs. You can gain experience in a workshop doing this every day. Home users can run into some of the frequently encountered problems and not really know how to remedy them.

The problem now is you can't just easily find another larger cheap quality PSU to test an idea you aren't sure of. While ago people were freaking out about PSUs and saying stuff like that you should buy a new quality psu with a new cpu because of wear but nobody's shouting about that here now.

Also if you send back the CPU and the vendor tests it and disagrees it's faulty? Well you are building up a reputation with them as a customer which isn't so good for you.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I think the first step is to put the old CPU back in and check if, in fact, the BIOS was updated properly. "Tried updating the BIOS twice" is not a verification that a compatible BIOS has been successfully installed. That's the next step; all the worry elsewhere like the mediocre PSU are things to worry about after we get an accurate description of the BIOS situation.

Sep 4, 2022
I think the first step is to put the old CPU back in and check if, in fact, the BIOS was updated properly. "Tried updating the BIOS twice" is not a verification that a compatible BIOS has been successfully installed. That's the next step; all the worry elsewhere like the mediocre PSU are things to worry about after we get an accurate description of the BIOS situation.
After installing the bios I check to see if that was the bios version listed as the current bios for the board.

Sep 4, 2022
I just verified again in the motherboard bios screen, E7C02AMS is showing as the current version and that is what I installed

DSzymborski

Titan
After installing the bios I check to see if that was the bios version listed as the current bios for the board.

So, you were able to run the 3600 after the BIOS upgrade to see that BIOS version listed in BIOS?

It is important we get an exact timeline of events. Remember, you know the exact order of events and steps you took, but we can only know what you tell us, and whatever you don't tell us, we don't know.

Sep 4, 2022
I have
I think the board and cpu are likely fine. What’s probably going on is the op’s board doesn’t have an updated bios that supports zen 3. I can say that because I’m running a ryzen 5 5600x on an Asrock b350 board that gave it support with a beta bios. I’m actually considering to upgrade it to a 5900x and see how long I can run this system. Wouldn’t mind getting to late gen am5 or even am6.

But if the bios isn’t updated in the op’s case, it would probably act the way he’s saying with fans on etc but no boot. I see you said you tried updating the bios already. Do you have an older cpu to try? On my Asrock board you had to update to certain bridge bios versions before you could move up to the newer versions. So you may check into that as well.
my 3600 on the board right now. The bios is showing what I installed. E7C02AMS.