Question 5800X3D not being utilized to its fullest (dropping to 4100MHz)- low performance? Faulty chip?

Oct 16, 2022
My build:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming
  • GPU: Zotac RTX 2080 AMP (hoping to upgrade soon)
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V - DDR4-3200 8GBx2 - (C14D (CL14-14-14-34))
  • Cooler: BQ Dark Rock pro 4
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova 750W Gold
So here is the issue, my CPU feels like it's never fully reaching its full power/potential, I think it's being throttled. I ran these two tests and found some weird behavior:

• Cinebench Score - 13699 (Should be 15000s)
  • Timespy Score - 11325 CPU ( should bein the 12000s)
Now here is the part that makes me think something weird is going on:
  1. My temperature has never gone above 72C, and that was after a long ass torture cinebench. I read that if it's fully being utilized it should be in the 85C range. It averages in the 60's during tests
  2. In cinebench, my clock speeds drop and stay at 4100MHz (whereas in other uses it jumps to 4450MHz periodically, and that's how it should be) (example here)
  3. In timespy, the clock speed is bouncing between 4500MHz and 3600MHz constantly, until it gets to the CPU test, then all my cores tank down to the 4100MHz. (example here)
full HWINFO64 during a cinebench test: ( View: https://imgur.com/a/TIuuVTR
)

What is going on? Is this normal behavior? Other posters' test results don't seem to behave like this. It's like my CPU is being throttled at 4100MHz any time it's put under stress...

What can I do?

===

Note, things I've already tried:

• Updated to latest BIOS version 6042
  • Reverted to an earlier BIOS, and put it back to 6042
  • Reset BIOS settings in the BIOS itself (can't figure out CMOS)
  • Turned on XRP (Or in this, called DCOP - profile 1 to get my ram speeds to match 3200)
  • Turned PBO in settings (changed from Auto -> Enabled, left everything as is, this does nothing)
  • Clean windows install
  • Tried with windows power plan default & power plan High Performance
  • Did a fresh install of chipset drivers
Anything else I can try? Thank you

===

I happened to get in contact with a friend that also has a 5800X3D. But he has a x570 and 1000W PS. It seems his clock speeds are reaching 4300 (mine were 4100).

I looked at his values during cinebench, he was roughly:

ptt: 82% -- 118.202W
tdc: 82% -- 78.415W
edc: 94% -- 132.287
thrml: 96% -- 89C

My percentages/absolutes are much much lower. It doesn't seem like my cpu is receiving all the power it should? and/or being throttled?

Last edited:
I looked at his values during cinebench, he was roughly:

ptt: 82% -- 118.202W
tdc: 82% -- 78.415W
edc: 94% -- 132.287
thrml: 96% -- 89C

My percentages/absolutes are much much lower. It doesn't seem like my cpu is receiving all the power it should? and/or being throttled?
PPT for a 105W ryzen like yours should be up to 142W but it would only draw as much as the software needs or as much as the mobo can/does supply.
Since cinebench can use more, according to the reading from your friend, you should look into your bios and see if there is some ppt/power limit locked to 105W since that is the maximum you get.
It wouldn't hurt to upload some pics from your bios if you can't find the settings yourself.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

PPT for a 105W ryzen like yours should be up to 142W but it would only draw as much as the software needs or as much as the mobo can/does supply.
Since cinebench can use more, according to the reading from your friend, you should look into your bios and see if there is some ppt/power limit locked to 105W since that is the maximum you get.
It wouldn't hurt to upload some pics from your bios if you can't find the settings yourself.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc
dont look at it this way, his mainboard is lyin, look down at power reporting deviation, its at 105-163%