Question 5800X3d paired with 1050Ti a good pairing

Status
Not open for further replies.
For comparison, an APU from 2 years ago trades blows with a GT1030, and next year's Dragon Range APU is expected to have twice as many CUs, RDNA2 instead of GCN, and of course DDR5 so may well be around 1050Ti speed.

So that 6 year old GPU may be as fast as next year's laptop IGPs.

Reactions: Valencious

logainofhades

Titan
For comparison, an APU from 2 years ago trades blows with a GT1030, and next year's Dragon Range APU is expected to have twice as many CUs, RDNA2 instead of GCN, and of course DDR5 so may well be around 1050Ti speed.

So that 6 year old GPU may be as fast as next year's laptop IGPs.

The RDNA graphics, in Ryzen 6000 mobile is roughly as fast as a GTX 970, iirc, putting it close to 1060 3gb territory.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on usage. If doing production, where the software can take advantage of the X3D Lcache and rendering via cpu instead of gpu, the the pairing is just fine, you really only need the gpu for an on-screen picture, cpu doing all the work.

If for gaming, I'd return both, get a much cheaper 5600 and put the extra towards a better gpu like a 3060/ti

Yeah its not an ideal pair, but hey you have a vary good CPU so pretty much any GPU you upgrade to, it'll work just fine with, and you should get the full potential out of even the next-gen video cards, gaming-wise anyway.

I'd rather have a system combo like yours than a GPU that's too powerful for the CPU, then the CPU would sit at 100% most if not all the time and cause issues with frame times and stutter, where your combo the CPU will hardly have to do anything, but it should be pretty smooth in games that the 1050ti can play reasonably well.

But if you didn't get the 5800x and you need to save a little bit of money, the 5600x is a pretty decent chip and should do well with the 1050ti and future cards.

Good luck!

Valencious

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
Depends on usage. If doing production, where the software can take advantage of the X3D Lcache and rendering via cpu instead of gpu, the the pairing is just fine, you really only need the gpu for an on-screen picture, cpu doing all the work.

If for gaming, I'd return both, get a much cheaper 5600 and put the extra towards a better gpu like a 3060/ti
I'll probaly get a 4090TI/3090TI based on the matching. I posted this discussion to see some nice answers / test the knowledge of some people :) I, for myself, am new to building and stuff but some answers in different threads are just to nice ^^

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I posted this discussion to see some nice answers / test the knowledge of some people
It's possible to take that statement one of two ways, but since every poster you'll see here is a volunteer that's here to help others out, with their knowledge, having someone post just to test them is somewhat irritating and a waste of ppls time and effort.

Valencious

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
It's possible to take that statement one of two ways, but since every poster you'll see here is a volunteer that's here to help others out, with their knowledge, having someone post just to test them is somewhat irritating and a waste of ppls time and effort.
I don't actually want to waste the time of nice & helpful people, I'm interested in the kinds of bottlenecks that happen when you out together such an bad GPU/CPU combo. Its interesting to hear the different thoughts/opinions/tips of the people who replied here. It's quite a stupid question tho.

Valencious

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
Yeah its not an ideal pair, but hey you have a vary good CPU so pretty much any GPU you upgrade to, it'll work just fine with, and you should get the full potential out of even the next-gen video cards, gaming-wise anyway.

I'd rather have a system combo like yours than a GPU that's too powerful for the CPU, then the CPU would sit at 100% most if not all the time and cause issues with frame times and stutter, where your combo the CPU will hardly have to do anything, but it should be pretty smooth in games that the 1050ti can play reasonably well.

But if you didn't get the 5800x and you need to save a little bit of money, the 5600x is a pretty decent chip and should do well with the 1050ti and future cards.

Good luck!
Thanks for the nice/helpful words. I'm mainly trying to collect the different tips/opinions/critic points from different people to gain as many informations as possible. Quite interesting to see what you and the other people who commented here have to say. Ah btw, I'll probaly aim for 4/8K gaming in the future so I'm interested in how the 4090TI'll perform and'll probaly buy it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm interested in the kinds of bottlenecks that happen when you out together such an bad GPU/CPU combo.
There is no bottleneck. FPS is only relavent to interactive 3d graphics, or 'games' for short. The Primary usage of a gpu is to reproduce 3d graphics. 2d graphics is video, non-interactive, so will run on igpu just fine. The flagship cpus also have the best igpu.

Cpu creates, compiles, analyzes, computes Ai, assigns vectors, 3d dimensions, 2d dimensions and a bunch of other stuff into a frame. Ships that frame to gpu. Amount of times the cpu can do that in 1 second is FPS. At no time can the gpu slow down the cpu, hold it back, prevent it from creating a frame.

The gpu takes what the cpu sends it, renders it into a wire frame, adds colors, lighting and other stuff, final renders all that per resolution into a picture. The amount of times that's done in 1 second is on-screen FPS. Sometimes the gpu has the ability to do more than the cpu sends, sometimes less.

But at no time does the cpu slow down or hold back the gpu, or vice versa.

There's plenty of ppl who use a pc for stuff other than games and have exactly Zero use for a discrete gpu of rediculous power draws. The only 2 classes of ppl who do require a discrete gpu are Content Creators or related fields, and gamers.

So a 5800x3D and 1050ti is a perfectly acceptable combo to anyone else other than those 2x classes.

Meaning if you want a detailed and correct answer for your question, you needed to have provided some background info first, like actual usage, and the fact you were looking to add a 3090Ti/4090/4090Ti shortly would have negated the reason for the question in the first place.

I don't actually want to waste the time of nice & helpful people, I'm interested in the kinds of bottlenecks that happen when you out together such an bad GPU/CPU combo. Its interesting to hear the different thoughts/opinions/tips of the people who replied here. It's quite a stupid question tho.
The problem with the term "bottleneck" is people think it means there's a problem with their computer. It's not. It doesn't help that tech YouTubers who covered this topic also don't emphasize this, they just treat it as a buzzword for their video.

The problem is that the computer isn't performing to the requirements that the user wanted. A bottleneck helps point out the "lowest hanging fruit" to upgrade. But once you upgrade that part, something else will become a bottleneck. And also another issue related to this is people don't really set performance requirements. If you don't have a performance requirement, then there's nothing anyone can go off to say that the computer is working fine. And no, "as good as possible" is not a performance requirement, as you could pair up a Celeron with a GT 1030 and that can count as "as good as possible."

getting fast cpu is actually good start, lots of game likes fast cpu even for just 60fps gameplay...5800x3d can provide it with low frame latencies
as far as 1050ti goes...you would need to reduce game details by quite a lot 1080p low maybe? or 720p in case it will struggle on some modern game titles
btw 1070ti is like 1080p medium/high these days at 60fps, used costs around $150

Valencious

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
getting fast cpu is actually good start, lots of game likes fast cpu even for just 60fps gameplay...5800x3d can provide it with low frame latencies
as far as 1050ti goes...you would need to reduce game details by quite a lot 1080p low maybe? or 720p in case it will struggle on some modern game titles
btw 1070ti is like 1080p medium/high these days at 60fps, used costs around $150
Thanks for the informations! I just have an 24" 1080p monitor atm, and it'll be fine for me since I used to play DCS with 40 fps on mid settings and it ran fine.

Valencious

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
The problem with the term "bottleneck" is people think it means there's a problem with their computer. It's not. It doesn't help that tech YouTubers who covered this topic also don't emphasize this, they just treat it as a buzzword for their video.

The problem is that the computer isn't performing to the requirements that the user wanted. A bottleneck helps point out the "lowest hanging fruit" to upgrade. But once you upgrade that part, something else will become a bottleneck. And also another issue related to this is people don't really set performance requirements. If you don't have a performance requirement, then there's nothing anyone can go off to say that the computer is working fine. And no, "as good as possible" is not a performance requirement, as you could pair up a Celeron with a GT 1030 and that can count as "as good as possible."
Thats true, 100% actually. I'm buying quite expensive parts so I can use the PC stable and won't have to buy another thing after a new GPU, but we'll see I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.