Question 5800x3d = potential gpu issues?

UpGrade01

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
*note - most of this post was created using Google's speech to text so if there are a bunch of grammar mistakes that's why.

Hey everyone

I recently upgraded to a 5800x3D from a 3900X. So far I've been happy with the benchmarks and system performance but I have been noticing some strange display issues. Prior to the CPU upgrade, I did upgrade my monitor from a 32-in LG to Samsung Odyssey G9 neo. I had the neo for a few days before the processor upgrade and didn't have any issues, everything was running fine. Again, I've only started seeing issues after upgrading the CPU. I play a lot of destiny 2 and I noticed that in certain areas the screen would go black for about a second and come back. The game doesn't freeze or anything like that, it just went black. More concerning is I ran into a situation where I walked away from my computer for a couple of hours and when I came back to it in the screen was slightly artifacting as I move the mouse around. I've tried multiple things such as upgrading drivers or reinstalling drivers for my GPU, I tried upgrading chipset drivers, moved cables around to eliminate potential interference (someone mentioned that one so I thought I would try it). I never really heard/seen a CPU behave like this but it is the only variable I can think of. Any suggestions? Is there some setting I need to change in bios or windows.regarding the X3D? Anyways, I want to thank you for taking the time to read this and if anybody can think of anything to try, it'll be greatly appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day.

UpGrade01

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
darn...yup, wrong quote, sorry.

Did you ever reset CMOS after swapping in the new CPU?

Yup, I never heard of or experienced a CPU causing issues like this as well. With newer technology and CPUs becoming more complex I was thinking that maybe since it was literally the only thing that changed prior to these issues. I'll do some more GPU checks. Thank you

Oh, also GPU is. Evga 3080 ti ftw ultra

Yup, I never heard of or experienced a CPU causing issues like this as well. With newer technology and CPUs becoming more complex I was thinking that maybe since it was literally the only thing that changed prior to these issues. I'll do some more GPU checks. Thank you

Oh, also GPU is. Evga 3080 ti ftw ultra
One way to eliminate the GPU is swap another in if you have one. If symptoms persist it's not likely to be the GPU.

Several of the symptoms you listed could be memory, and of course the memory controller is in the CPU. That's what resetting CMOS helps with as it gives some assurance there's no incorrect memory settings hanging around in CMOS to mess up the new CPU. And then also keep in mind the GPU's PCIe data bus originates in the CPU.

Last edited: