Question 5800X3D running hot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
I've been playing DayZ in 4K, and I'm getting temperatures maxing out at around 86 degrees. When I run R23 I'm getting temperatures at 90-92 degrees. Would you say these temperatures are too hot or that I'm okay. I am getting very concerned on the temperatures when gaming, and wondering if anyone could help.

I've got the Corsair H115i. I'm not sure what I should do

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
Be careful undervoltaging the cpu as it can cause BSOD or crashes. Or at least the paranoia of problems everytime a game crashes. If the cooler is installed right and the cooling is decent enough. Then undervolting could well help. Start with small values first. Just because someone gets -25mV won't mean it will work for everyone.
Would you say possibly buying a new water cooler as I’ve had this AIO for around 3 years now, and maybe it’s not performing to spec?

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
I think your temps are normal. I just ran R23 for 3 minutes exactly and I hit 90C right before 3 mins... looks like this CPU does run up to around 140W.

hioLrJA.png
I think I’m going to switch out my AIO to a newer model as I’ve had this one for three years and clearly isn’t helping taming the beast.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I’ve seen this a lot but it’s just the fact that I have to open PB02 every time I start my PC up. In your opinion do you think I should do something to lower the temperatures, or do I leave it as it’s nothing to concerning?
That was the most effective way to get it down. Anything else won't do as well.
If PBO2 is off the table, then leave it be and roll with it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Jimbob1 Oh, almost forgot:
We've got Ryzen 7000 cpus that look like the older gens at first, but put them on an all core load, and they turn things upside-down by changing the 'starting line'(as I call it) to 95C. But is safe and functioning as expected(to AMD).
13th gen Core i - especially the i9, those things have no chill, and also functioning as expected...
90C+ may as well be the new normal...

5800X3D don't look so bad now.
Perhaps it was a sign of things to come...

@Jimbob1 Oh, almost forgot:
We've got Ryzen 7000 cpus that look like the older gens at first, but put them on an all core load, and they turn things upside-down by changing the 'starting line'(as I call it) to 95C. But is safe and functioning as expected(to AMD).
13th gen Core i - especially the i9, those things have no chill, and also functioning as expected...
90C+ may as well be the new normal...

5800X3D don't look so bad now.
Perhaps it was a sign of things to come...
This is pretty much the way I see it. Bottom line is this... do the temps interrupt your workload? (ie. Do they throttle the CPU?) If not, then it's likely not a problem.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. Because you aren't seeing 4.45GHz on anything but single core.

Ryzen isn't Intel and doesn't behave like Intel, but ppl keep assuming they are the same, ingrained thought processes from 10+ years of core-i domination over FX.

Intels don't scale with temps. They give max performance locked in until they reach their thermal cap, then throttle way back. They totally rely on the user to provide sufficient cooling to prevent that.

Ryzen are the opposite. They scale with temps, starting @ 60°C they'll knock 50MHz or so from 1 thread, then hit several threads, at @ 80°C they'll be hitting most if not all the threads down 100MHz or so etc. It's a very gradual decline that's really hard to notice without a full core burn with static load.

As for temps, as said, the stacked cache is going to bump that up some, but not all that much. What's going to affect temps the most is ambient temps, both outside and inside the case as one affects the other. It's physically impossible to cool an object below ambient temps by mechanical means, regardless of the cooler. An aio is mechanical. It uses a fan blowing across a fin that dissipates heat energy. You'd need a chemical process, such as peltier or LN2 or phase change to drop below ambient.

So whatever the outside ambient is, that's the starting point. From there add up the inside case energy, and that'll be the minimum temp you'll see at the cpu.

Cpus generally run @ 10°C average higher than external ambient. Cases with lousy airflow can hit 15-20°C, cases with excellent airflow can hit 1-6°C. Gpu should idle roughly the same as cpu.

On a 90ish watt load, 35°-40° is very normal coolant temp on an aio as it'll be case ambient temps + wattage leech - heat exchange variable.

Unless you can physically feel a difference in the input and output hoses, your aio is working as it should. There's generally @ 2° difference, which you can't feel by touch, so they should feel the same.

With that kind of cpu temp, aio pump should be 90-100% and fans will be north of 70%. If your curves/software has them running any lower than that, there's half the issue.

Personally I'd unplug the rear exhaust fan. With a top aio, it's essentially useless. It's doing 2x things not in your favor. It's adding to the local area vacuum which makes for a lower area pressure, so a good majority of airflow is headed directly for that corner. That puts a good chunk of gpu heat right at that rear aio fan, and a lot less at the front fan. Creates uneven dissipation, the rear is warmer, so less effective, the front is cooler, and more effective, but has less to work with.

Secondly, it's stealing air from the back aio fan, making matters worse as there's more local heat but less air to move it.

What works better is a chimney. The aio will have a viable source of external air from the open fan vent as well as a more even split of gpu exhaust, since all that heat is rising straight up, not being dragged sideways by an uncompromised fan. Air moving in a single direction helps airflow and keeps case ambient temps lower as its a stronger overall movement.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I had been saying that about top exhaust AIOs + rear exhaust case fan some months ago, but gave up trying. Tower air cooler, sure, but some of them don't need one back there either, but one should still experiment.
A)It doesn't look right with no fan back there.
B)This guide I saw/all these folks, said to do it this way/that way, so that's DE WEY to do it.
C)Muh case air pressure.
It's one of those or a combo thereof.

Bah! Everyone just get Raven/Fortress style cases and call it a - oh wait. Silverstone holds a patent over that design, don't they? WTH.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ppl have been using chimneys for thousands of years, even engine builders use that principle in their exhaust systems, using 'scavaging' to help pull exhaust out of the cylinders. It works. It's proven.

High rear exhausts became a thing with the AT cases, which had a solid cover (2 side panels and top as a single piece) so a top exhaust was problematic. Simple fix was a high rear fan to pull the pooling heat at the top out. Then aircoolers got reinvented, aiming the heatsink fan at that rear exhaust, birth of the tower/twin tower air cooler. Then ATX modular cases came along, side panels seperate from the top, but retained the rear exhaust to comply with motherboard and air cooling needs, which meant sales.

So today's cases still support a rear exhaust, only because of the abundance of tower coolers, not because it's a benefit to up/down draft coolers, nor AIO's. It's a dinosaur leftover that hangs on due to other parts requirements.

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
Yes. Because you aren't seeing 4.45GHz on anything but single core.

Ryzen isn't Intel and doesn't behave like Intel, but ppl keep assuming they are the same, ingrained thought processes from 10+ years of core-i domination over FX.

Intels don't scale with temps. They give max performance locked in until they reach their thermal cap, then throttle way back. They totally rely on the user to provide sufficient cooling to prevent that.

Ryzen are the opposite. They scale with temps, starting @ 60°C they'll knock 50MHz or so from 1 thread, then hit several threads, at @ 80°C they'll be hitting most if not all the threads down 100MHz or so etc. It's a very gradual decline that's really hard to notice without a full core burn with static load.

As for temps, as said, the stacked cache is going to bump that up some, but not all that much. What's going to affect temps the most is ambient temps, both outside and inside the case as one affects the other. It's physically impossible to cool an object below ambient temps by mechanical means, regardless of the cooler. An aio is mechanical. It uses a fan blowing across a fin that dissipates heat energy. You'd need a chemical process, such as peltier or LN2 or phase change to drop below ambient.

So whatever the outside ambient is, that's the starting point. From there add up the inside case energy, and that'll be the minimum temp you'll see at the cpu.

Cpus generally run @ 10°C average higher than external ambient. Cases with lousy airflow can hit 15-20°C, cases with excellent airflow can hit 1-6°C. Gpu should idle roughly the same as cpu.

On a 90ish watt load, 35°-40° is very normal coolant temp on an aio as it'll be case ambient temps + wattage leech - heat exchange variable.

Unless you can physically feel a difference in the input and output hoses, your aio is working as it should. There's generally @ 2° difference, which you can't feel by touch, so they should feel the same.

With that kind of cpu temp, aio pump should be 90-100% and fans will be north of 70%. If your curves/software has them running any lower than that, there's half the issue.

Personally I'd unplug the rear exhaust fan. With a top aio, it's essentially useless. It's doing 2x things not in your favor. It's adding to the local area vacuum which makes for a lower area pressure, so a good majority of airflow is headed directly for that corner. That puts a good chunk of gpu heat right at that rear aio fan, and a lot less at the front fan. Creates uneven dissipation, the rear is warmer, so less effective, the front is cooler, and more effective, but has less to work with.

Secondly, it's stealing air from the back aio fan, making matters worse as there's more local heat but less air to move it.

What works better is a chimney. The aio will have a viable source of external air from the open fan vent as well as a more even split of gpu exhaust, since all that heat is rising straight up, not being dragged sideways by an uncompromised fan. Air moving in a single direction helps airflow and keeps case ambient temps lower as its a stronger overall movement.
My CPU never goes to 4.45Ghz. The most I’ve seen it is 4.325Ghz nothing higher. I’m leaving it as it is, if it was 90 degrees at all times I’d do something but this is the new norm so I’ve accepted that and just going to leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS