Question 5800X3D temps are too high ?

Dec 24, 2022
Hello!
I have a problem, I bought a 5800x3d processor and a Gigabyte x570s Aero G motherboard. The processor temperatures are too high. In idle, they reach 50-60 degrees, after starting the Chrome browser, it even jumps to around 70-75 degrees. In games it does not exceed 90 degrees, which is max for this cpu, in idle the cooling noise is unbearable. I'm talking about boost mode here, where the clock constantly jumps from about 3400 MHz to about 4400-4500 MHz. In cinebench is 90 degrees and ~4200 MHz. Without the boost mode the temperatures are ok, but the clock is stuck at 3400 MHz. My cooler is Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 with Noctua A12x25 fans. With 5600x on the B550 board, it was about 35 degrees at rest, about 60 degrees in games. Will a better AiO solve the problem? From what I've read online, the ones I have should be sufficient. I tried lubricating the paste in different ways, it did not give much effect. I tried different configurations and thermal pastes: Kryonout, NZXT, CoolerMaster Mastergel Pro, Gelid GC-Extreme, MicroSi (noname?) and something from SilentiumPC. I think the pressure is good, I don't think it can be better. I've used this cooler before on a 5600x and different motherboard (Asus B550) and it was perfect. I know 5800x3d needs more, but is it possible that I received a defective CPU or motherboard? And how about the voltages? Please help.

Screenshot from Ryzen Master with Cinebench R23 multi-core benchmark.
kchbwoQ.png

The 5800x3d is a much hotter running cpu than the 5600x. My 5800x3d using a H150i ELITE CAPELLIX hits 82c after 10 mins of Cinebench R23 multicore test. A short while after and it’s idling at 38c. While gaming it usually stays in the high 50’s to low 60’s. Given 240mm AIO’s are similar performance to a mid range air cooler I think your temperatures are about right for this cpu. Your temperatures are usable and not dangerous but I expect you loose some boost MHz.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
What is your case and fan arrangement?
Where is the radiator mounted?
If the cooler is functioning and mounted well, I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient. With the 5800x3d perhaps higher.
High radiator fan noise at idle is an indicator that something is amiss.The type of paste makes little difference so long as it is applied well and the cooler is level on the cpu die.

AIO coolers do not last forever. Possibly air has intruded or the pump has collected debris.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hello!
I have a problem, I bought a 5800x3d processor and a Gigabyte x570s Aero G motherboard. The processor temperatures are too high. In idle, they reach 50-60 degrees, after starting the Chrome browser, it even jumps to around 70-75 degrees. In games it does not exceed 90 degrees, which is max for this cpu, in idle the cooling noise is unbearable. I'm talking about boost mode here, where the clock constantly jumps from about 3400 MHz to about 4400-4500 MHz. In cinebench is 90 degrees and ~4200 MHz. Without the boost mode the temperatures are ok, but the clock is stuck at 3400 MHz. My cooler is Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 with Noctua A12x25 fans. With 5600x on the B550 board, it was about 35 degrees at rest, about 60 degrees in games. Will a better AiO solve the problem? From what I've read online, the ones I have should be sufficient. I tried lubricating the paste in different ways, it did not give much effect. I tried different configurations and thermal pastes: Kryonout, NZXT, CoolerMaster Mastergel Pro, Gelid GC-Extreme, MicroSi (noname?) and something from SilentiumPC. I think the pressure is good, I don't think it can be better. I've used this cooler before on a 5600x and different motherboard (Asus B550) and it was perfect. I know 5800x3d needs more, but is it possible that I received a defective CPU or motherboard? And how about the voltages? Please help.

Screenshot from Ryzen Master with Cinebench R23 multi-core benchmark.
[snip]
See post #10.

Dec 24, 2022
So I will try to buy a 280 cooler. It's the biggest one that will fit into my case. I'll let you know in a few days if it helped. A bit sad that the reviews I watched did not mention that the processor heats up like an oven. After reading a few threads, you can consider this processor as crap, not worth the price in the end. Thanks for the replies guys!

Dec 24, 2022
So I will try to buy a 280 cooler. It's the biggest one that will fit into my case. I'll let you know in a few days if it helped. A bit sad that the reviews I watched did not mention that the processor heats up like an oven. After reading a few threads, you can consider this processor as crap, not worth the price in the end. Thanks for the replies guys!

Ok, i bought Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 and its better... but... still temperatures in Cinebench r23 ~85 degrees max. Unlucky, in idle it is still quite loud, I think I have to set the fan curve to minimum and accept the temperature of 50-60 degrees. This cpu is a temperature monster.

Ok, i bought Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 and its better... but... still temperatures in Cinebench r23 ~85 degrees max. Unlucky, in idle it is still quite loud, I think I have to set the fan curve to minimum and accept the temperature of 50-60 degrees. This cpu is a temperature monster.
I'm using Kraken X62 and saw 85C in Cinebench R23. So, that sounds about right. Note, I upgrade from a 3700X and was a bit surprised at how much warmer the 5800X3D runs. Although, idle I see around 40C. Not sure why yours would be so much higher.

TRENDING THREADS