Question 5800x3d upgrade is it worth it ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
so right now i got 5600x paired with asus strix 3080ti oc edition and i'm thinking of replacing the cpu with 5800x3d and i have a few questions.
1. How much of a difference will i gain in games? i mostly play offline AAA titles like hitman and tomb raider cyberpunk 2077
2.power consumptions currently i have seasonic focus gx 850w keep in mind that i have asus strix 3080ti oc edition will it be enough to power both of them? I didn't oc the card and not planning to, actually i undervolted the card for better thermals
3. general thoughts like i will be selling my 5600x when i get 5800x3d will that justify this purchase ? gaining some money back so you don't feel you spent a lot ,I'm not looking for the most fps i just want to see smooth movement on ultra graphics i want to see what i paid for
4.future proving how long will this setup last? Vs getting like 5950x per say i'll not get the new generation and probably not the one after it either so after let's say 8 years from now how will it perform? I know it's tough one but just try to imagine
5.anything else ? I don't know if you have something to add please do ;)

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
And even in 2 years, the GPU will be the bigger factor. There is no guarantee either of those CPUs, or both, or neither, will be completely outdated in two years. If that is your concern, better take the money into your hands upfront instead of this which essentially costs you extra, even if you sell your current CPU. Also, at one point you have to upgrade your platform anyways since it will be worfully outdated. And you can still keep the new board and put another CPU in later. Also, DDR5 RAM will be cheap by then, it is already a lot cheaper than it was just start of this year. So that argument is nonsense, honestly. But if you want to game for cheap, get a console I guess.
this is true to some degree depends on what gpu you get a good old 1080ti still can give you decent fps and i'm not expecting anything to be cheaper or more expensive actually we can't do that due to world inflation and chip shortage BTW upgrading your pc every 2 years will not give you the most value for your money nor buying a console

logainofhades

Titan
I make upgrades, of some sort, every 1-2 years, or so, but recently hit a point where I really don't need an upgrade yet. That may change soon. I am a WoW player and the new expansion has a healthy increase in recommended specs. I will be above recommended, but probably will struggle some, at 1440p ultra.

KyaraM

Admirable
this is true to some degree depends on what gpu you get a good old 1080ti still can give you decent fps and i'm not expecting anything to be cheaper or more expensive actually we can't do that due to world inflation and chip shortage BTW upgrading your pc every 2 years will not give you the most value for your money nor buying a console
Just for the record, my old system ran for 6 years, though I felt the lacking performance for at least a year or more. And I didn't recommend you upgrading every 2 years. I recommended you upgrading in 2 years. That's a pretty significant difference. By that point, the 5600X will be 4 years old already. For its price class, that's not too bad.

Btw, getting the "best" possible isn't future-proofing, either, nor the best value for your money. And I don't consider the 5800X3D anywhere near best for bucks anyways. But again. If you want to game cheap (which also isn't best for bucks, btw), get a console. No way around it. And I don't even like consoles very much.

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
Just for the record, my old system ran for 6 years, though I felt the lacking performance for at least a year or more. And I didn't recommend you upgrading every 2 years. I recommended you upgrading in 2 years. That's a pretty significant difference. By that point, the 5600X will be 4 years old already. For its price class, that's not too bad.

Btw, getting the "best" possible isn't future-proofing, either, nor the best value for your money. And I don't consider the 5800X3D anywhere near best for bucks anyways. But again. If you want to game cheap (which also isn't best for bucks, btw), get a console. No way around it. And I don't even like consoles very much.
ok i get you now but i just can't upgrade in 2 years why? well you didn't read my replays well
i will add to that the fact that there is only one retailer selling it here in my country while i can get it from amazon i will have to bear the cost of shipping and the hassle of customs ,just to give you an idea about the prices here the 5600x price has dropped to some level but here it still the same as it was released and you can't buy it unless you buy a full system
the point is the prices here were double the prices that you had so when 3080ti were like 2k ,here it still something like 3.5k which is insane
just keep in mind that i'm not trying to prove a point here i truly seek help to get the best for my money and i agree with you on the fact that is 5800x3d is not the best value for money right now but it might be in the near future that's is what i'm trying to figure out will it be or not? is buying it now good or should i wait for maybe 5900x3d ? -which i still having a hard time swallowing that it will exist at all - is the world inflation and chip shortage coming to an end -or at least ease a little- so the prices of a new platform wouldn't be a pain in the butt that much ?

.. 5800x3d is not the best value for money right now but it might be in the near future that's is what i'm trying to figure out will it be or not? ...
A couple reasons why you'll simply not get a satisfactory answer...

First, you're asking people to predict the future. I honestly believe your chicken bones are as good as ours.

Second, this is a somewhat international forum, maybe skewed to US participants. That means we are all looking at different retail market conditions and availabilities. Each of us will be giving opinions based on what we see, not what you have to experience. That's an effect you experienced yourself with the purchase of your 3080TI. That makes it very unlikely we can effectively skew our projections of future cost/benefit, or price/performance if you prefer, accurately enough to help you make a good choice.

And third, normally a tech purchase delayed usually results in an improved price/performance (in absolute terms) since prices inevitably drop as it obsoletes with newer tech. But these aren't normal times: post-Covid suppply problems and inflation has set in so future prices may rise even as it becomes obsolete, or drop at a greatly reduced rate. Prior experience, that which these opinions are based on, no longer holds true.

Last edited: