Question 5800x3d upgrade is it worth it ?

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
so right now i got 5600x paired with asus strix 3080ti oc edition and i'm thinking of replacing the cpu with 5800x3d and i have a few questions.
1. How much of a difference will i gain in games? i mostly play offline AAA titles like hitman and tomb raider cyberpunk 2077
2.power consumptions currently i have seasonic focus gx 850w keep in mind that i have asus strix 3080ti oc edition will it be enough to power both of them? I didn't oc the card and not planning to, actually i undervolted the card for better thermals
3. general thoughts like i will be selling my 5600x when i get 5800x3d will that justify this purchase ? gaining some money back so you don't feel you spent a lot ,I'm not looking for the most fps i just want to see smooth movement on ultra graphics i want to see what i paid for
4.future proving how long will this setup last? Vs getting like 5950x per say i'll not get the new generation and probably not the one after it either so after let's say 8 years from now how will it perform? I know it's tough one but just try to imagine
5.anything else ? I don't know if you have something to add please do ;)

so right now i got 5600x paired with asus strix 3080ti oc edition and i'm thinking of replacing the cpu with 5800x3d and i have a few questions.
1. How much of a difference will i gain in games? i mostly play offline AAA titles like hitman and tomb raider cyberpunk 2077
2.power consumptions currently i have seasonic focus gx 850w keep in mind that i have asus strix 3080ti oc edition will it be enough to power both of them? I didn't oc the card and not planning to, actually i undervolted the card for better thermals
3. general thoughts like i will be selling my 5600x when i get 5800x3d will that justify this purchase ? gaining some money back so you don't feel you spent a lot ,I'm not looking for the most fps i just want to see smooth movement on ultra graphics i want to see what i paid for
4.future proving how long will this setup last? Vs getting like 5950x per say i'll not get the new generation and probably not the one after it either so after let's say 8 years from now how will it perform? I know it's tough one but just try to imagine
You'll get a lot of opinions here...many that are biased. If you haven't, why not peruse a few of the many technical reviews of the CPU? Most of them at least try to present results of unbiased tests and I'm pretty sure head-to-head comparisons with a 5600X (your CPU and previously the most popular Ryzen gaming-targeted CPU) are included. These will give you a much better idea of how much improved performance you'll see, and in what gaming scenarios. Many even include direct power consumption comparisons.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Ryzen+7+5800X3D+reviews&t=ffab&ia=web

As far as what justifies a purchase: only you can answer that as only you know how much value to place on the FPS performance uplift it can offer. Personally, I don't find high FPS to offer anything with AAA games. In fact, to keep my 6800XT from running so hot I have it capped at 85FPS playing Sniper Elite, Cyberunk, Ghost Recon games, even Microsoft Flight Sim.

Future proofing: who has the crystal ball? how much better will Ryzen 5 be? how much will it cost for a total system upgrade to AM5? Will AMD release a DDR4 variant for AM4? How much will total system upgrade cost for Intel's new CPU's? no body knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
You'll get a lot of opinions here...many that are biased. Why not peruse a few of the many technical reviews of the CPU? Most of them at least try to present results of unbiased tests and I'm pretty sure head-to-head comparisons with a 5600X (your CPU and previously the most popular Ryzen gaming-targeted CPU) are included.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Ryzen+7+5800X3D+reviews&t=ffab&ia=web
yeah i saw a lot of reviews biased and unbiased websites that only shows 4k benchmarks others that only focus on how much intel is good in apps and also saw very good reviews out there , not my point though i ask about users personal experience has anyone bought it ? do you feel it's a big jump over what you used to have ? do you regret it ?

... i ask about users personal experience has anyone bought it ? do you feel it's a big jump over what you used to have ? do you regret it ?
Ahh...so you are essentially asking for biased opinions. You know you'll get a lot of "buyers remorse" type answer. Just an example of that...I'd answer that my 6800XT wasn't 'worth it' because it cost so much and I ended up just capping frame rates anyway since I don't need it's full performance. A bit of remorse, I should have opted for a 6700XT and save couple hundred dollars.

Please note what I added above. I'm not saying this as an owner of an X3D of course, but I really don't think one would be worth it (I have a 5800X now) simply because I don't place the value on high FPS scores. But also, for playing AAA games GPU is far more important to assure stable/steady gameplay at the ULTRA settings that make them so appealing visually. That's why I felt I had to make the sacrifice and reach for the 6800XT.

In short, if you're getting playable, steady FPS in the games you play, at the resolution you play at, with the very high to ultra settings you'd probably not see enough improvement from any CPU upgrade to justify a purchase. Not unless you place a very high value on even just a few more FPS.

Last edited:

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
Ahh...so you are essentially asking for biased opinions. You know you'll get a lot of "buyers remorse" type answer. Just an example of that...I'd answer that my 6800XT wasn't 'worth it' because it cost so much and I ended up just capping frame rates anyway since I don't need it's full performance. A bit of remorse, I should have opted for a 6700XT and save couple hundred dollars.

Please note what I added above. I'm not saying this as an owner of an X3D of course, but I really don't think one would be worth it (I have a 5800X now) simply because I don't place the value on high FPS scores. But also, for playing AAA games GPU is far more important to assure stable/steady gameplay at the ULTRA settings that make them so appealing visually. That's why I felt I had to make the sacrifice and reach for the 6800XT.
i feel you mate had the same feeling after buying 3080ti in a room without air conditioner felt like i should split the money between them but remembered that the last time i bought a gpu were 760 4g -when it was new-and the fx 8350 were something back then -were nothing really- get my point i upgrade my pc rarely that's why i want to buy top of the line that well last for like 10 or even 15 years form now even if that sounded far from the reality that's why i went for 3080ti and a high end mobo asus X570 crosshair VIII hero wifi

i feel you mate had the same feeling after buying 3080ti in a room without air conditioner felt like i should split the money between them but remembered that the last time i bought a gpu were 760 4g -when it was new-and the fx 8350 were something back then -were nothing really- get my point i upgrade my pc rarely that's why i want to buy top of the line that well last for like 10 or even 15 years form now even if that sounded far from the reality that's why i went for 3080ti and a high end mobo asus X570 crosshair VIII hero wifi
yah..i know the desire to purchase well and keep hardware a long time. hopefully they've slowed down the standards creep a bit (like holding at DX-12) so that hardware won't be obsoleted by that.

But the one thing that's glaringly obvious to me is AAA games are pretty much reliant on GPU performance. CPU performance is only a really big concern for e-sports gaming where ultra-high fps is critical for those who've got super well trained eye-hand co-ordination. Many of them play at low graphical settings (taking the GPU out of critical path for scene rendering) since they want an uncluttered set to acquire targets more easily. Of course, that also keeps fps as high as possible...and is usually limited by the CPU. That's just not what appeals to me, I'm about enjoying the graphic artwork the game creators have put on display.

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
yah..i know the desire to purchase well and keep hardware a long time. hopefully they've slowed down the standards creep a bit (like holding at DX-12) so that hardware won't be obsoleted by that.

But the one thing that's glaringly obvious to me is AAA games are pretty much reliant on GPU performance. CPU performance is only a really big concern for e-sports gaming where ultra-high fps is critical for those who've got super well trained eye-hand co-ordination. Many of them play at low graphical settings (taking the GPU out of critical path for scene rendering) since they want an uncluttered set to acquire targets more easily. Of course, that also keeps fps as high as possible...and is usually limited by the CPU. That's just not what appeals to me, I'm about enjoying the graphic artwork the game creators have put on display.
yeah but didn't you forgot about games that is cpu intensive like gta or hitman i know there are not a lot of them out there but still btw your gpu has more value -price to performance -at least more than mine and it well last for quite some time and the resale value is high imho

yeah but didn't you forgot about games that is cpu intensive like gta or hitman i know there are not a lot of them out there but still btw your gpu has more value -price to performance -at least more than mine and it well last for quite some time and the resale value is high imho
I'm not concerned about resale value...i don't like the hassles of ebay. Nor the inherent liability of dealing with someone who mangles installing it and expects me to help...or just flat out blames me for it.

I only played the latest Hitman demo, mainly to see it's raytracing. It's awesome in the Dubai segment you get in the demo and my 6800XT played it just fine @ 1440p with FSR 1.0; FSR 2.0 would play even better if it gets that upgrade. So, I was pushing the GPU hard with RT and didn't notice any CPU limitation.

KyaraM

Admirable
The 5800X3D at 1440p will likely not give you much of an improvement, maybe a handful of FPS at best. I would wait for the new generations, they will outclass that chip anyways. But you should be good with your CPU for the next 2 years or so already, so to me, it sounds like a waste.

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
The 5800X3D at 1440p will likely not give you much of an improvement, maybe a handful of FPS at best. I would wait for the new generations, they will outclass that chip anyways. But you should be good with your CPU for the next 2 years or so already, so to me, it sounds like a waste.
you're talking about the performance of 5800x3d vs 5600x as it is now while i talk about the future and even after 2 years i will not upgrade the cost will be high + i will have to buy new mobo and ram

you're talking about the performance of 5800x3d vs 5600x as it is now while i talk about the future and even after 2 years i will not upgrade the cost will be high + i will have to buy new mobo and ram
Well...then it IS the only way to extend the (gaming) performance of your AM4 system further into the future. Whether the price/performance ratio is worth it is another question.

Another thing you can do is keep your eye on 5800x3d stock levels and prices. As AMD releases their new line the price is likely to come down a bit if stock level is still high. At least until it becomes harder to find as levels decline and more people are doing like you are by trying to extend the life of their AM4 investments as long as possible.

And then again....if AM5 (CPU/mobo/DDR5 RAM) proves to be way more costly AM4 might see a brief resurgence from unhappy buyers who'd put off upgrades. In that case, prices may actually go up.

So many possibilities. Future predicting is a bit like tossing chicken bones to see how they land.

Reactions: Jacks.

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com
Well...then it IS the only way to extend the (gaming) performance of your AM4 system further into the future. Whether the price/performance ratio is worth it is another question.

Another thing you can do is keep your eye on 5800x3d stock levels and prices. As AMD releases their new line the price is likely to come down a bit if stock level is still high. At least until it becomes harder to find as levels decline and more people are doing like you are by trying to extend the life of their AM4 investments as long as possible.

And then again....if AM5 (CPU/mobo/DDR5 RAM) proves to be way more costly AM4 might see a brief resurgence from unhappy buyers who'd put off upgrades. In that case, prices may actually go up.

So many possibilities. Future predicting is a bit like tossing chicken bones to see how they land.
now that's it you fully got my point the problem is i don't see a lot of stock 5800x3d and my guess is that amd will not produce a lot of it otherwise they will lose some customers who will buy it instead of bearing the cost of a new platform and i will add to that the fact that there is only one retailer selling it here in my country while i can get it from amazon i will have to bear the cost of shipping and the hassle of customs ,just to give you an idea about the prices here the 5600x price has dropped to some level but here it still the same as it was released and you can't buy it unless you buy a full system

Techspot just posted some benchmarks with this CPU
seems a nice upgrade if u play CS:GO

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are also rumors of Zen4 for AM4. When asked directly it wasn't denied.

It wouldn't be much of a stretch. All they have to do is keep their AM4 manufacturing process going, swap the I/O die and provide even further BIOS updates.

Also some whispers of a 5900X3D, but that doesn't seem to have come to anything.

...swap the I/O die...
Seems to me that's where the technical challenges come in if they haven't considered this in design already. Ryzen's always been very sensitive to infinity fabric clock speed, slowing it down for a DDR4 controller couldn't be good.

I'd also not expect it to come out until well into the product cycle, probably not before 6th gen is in the offing.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Highly possible that they already had to account for it. Might have to be something other than 1:1 to work with high speed DDR5. It would be cool to see 2600Mhz or something. Seems like quite the leap.

Lowering the speed and setting a fixed 2:1 for DDR5 would seem to be a more reasonable approach, in which case DDR4 shouldn't be a problem at 1:1 like it is now.

logainofhades

Titan

It wouldn't be much of a stretch. All they have to do is keep their AM4 manufacturing process going, swap the I/O die and provide even further BIOS updates.

Also some whispers of a 5900X3D, but that doesn't seem to have come to anything.

I would expect Zen3+ over Zen4, on AM4. AM4 is going to live on, for awhile yet, as the more budget friendly option, with AM5 being more enthusiast class.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
well the 5800X3D is the best CPU money can buy on AM4
it is especially good for VR since VR needs very low latency. the huge cache of the 5800X3D lowers the latency.

So buy it and don't look behind. You could totally ignore the AM5 chipset and check for an upgrade in 5-6 years for AM6

You will need very good cooling because it runs very hot. If your cooling is not top-of-the-notch, heat will reduce the life of the CPU and motherboard.

TL;DR : the 5800X3D is to the DDR4-gen, what the i7-4790k was for the DDR3-gen

Jacks.

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
www.deviantart.com

ok but why would they do that? last time they did it was because of the backlash of the "5 years of support" statement ,now this is over
x3d was a low blow for intel cause of their over the top marketing of 12900k ,hey we could do it for less ,don't get me wrong i would love to see more cpus on am4 but the truth is every one will loss if they did it the ram companies the mobos etc and the only ones how will benefit from that is the users
they want more money that's it and the transition to newer platform well make that happen

KyaraM

Admirable
And even in 2 years, the GPU will be the bigger factor. There is no guarantee either of those CPUs, or both, or neither, will be completely outdated in two years. If that is your concern, better take the money into your hands upfront instead of this which essentially costs you extra, even if you sell your current CPU. Also, at one point you have to upgrade your platform anyways since it will be worfully outdated. And you can still keep the new board and put another CPU in later. Also, DDR5 RAM will be cheap by then, it is already a lot cheaper than it was just start of this year. So that argument is nonsense, honestly. But if you want to game for cheap, get a console I guess.