Question 5800X3D: What is the confirmed, recommended COOLING SOLUTION?

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hello fellow enthusiasts! I am very strongly considering "upgrading" my Ryzen 5700X to the Ryzen 5800X3D after seeing much information on the stellar cache configuration, and how it lends to outstanding gaming performance. Before I get to my question, here is my PC configuration: My case is a Silverstone Primera PM01-RG, 4 stock fans...3 intake and 1 exhaust, added 2 Be Quiet 140mm fans at the top for intake (yes, intake). Everything is AIR. MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC with latest bios, Corsair16gb 3,600mhz RAM, RTX 3070 Tuff Gaming OC GPU. SO, I want to get the 5800X3D, but I don't no what will be the cooling solution considering the TDP is 105 watts. I've heard and seen info on how the chip runs hot, but here's my thing: I have a Wraith Prism cooler which was for my 3700x, and now I use for the 5700x for no problems. Again, my case has VERY adequate air flow and thermals, though it may not be the most quiet. The Wraith Prism cooler came with the 3900X CPU, which also has a TDP for 105 watts (like the 5800X3D). Question: could I keep and use the Wraith Prism for the 5800X3D considering the high air flow and thermals in my case or can anyone CONFIRM an Air cooler or AIO that will keep thermals under control? Thank you, and sorry that I'm long winded...I don't know how to post short explanations! :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What is the confirmed, recommended COOLING SOLUTION?
Confirmed by who, AMD? They haven't done anything like that.

Question: could I keep and use the Wraith Prism for the 5800X3D
Negative.

Simplest answer:
Tower air cooler
OR
280/240mm AIO, mounted in the front

That case's design is focused on positive pressure; the lack of top ventilation means a more straight forward front to back approach. [IMO, I wouldn't even bother with top fans, but your mileage may vary.]
The Wraith relies more on the outdated side ventilation, which has kinda gone the way of the dodo.

More complex:
Ryzen can be hard to cool due to how the chiplets are laid out underneath the IHS, unlike Intel's, which are still smack dab in the middle. They aren't able to use as much power as some of the latter's options, so maybe that offsets that a bit?
Whether a cold plate's base is machined to be slightly concave or convex doesn't get touched upon very much, and that also causes some coolers to perform a little better/worse on Ryzen/Intel cpus than others.
Oh yeah, the IHS also bends slightly towards concave/convex under heat cycles... probably shouldn't think about it too hard.

Last edited:
... Question: could I keep and use the Wraith Prism for the 5800X3D ...
I wouldn't. Ryzen's may be highly efficient but they like to be kept as cool as possible to encourage boosting. So more is always better and the Prism cooler is 'barely adequate' at best.

Since you want to keep it all AIR the Dark Rock/4 coolers are as good as anything...will be less likely to disappoint...and substantially cheaper than Noctua's equivalent.

But you might re-visit your fan arrangement once the upgrade's in place. I'm not fond of letting GPU output air mingle with CPU air cooler input air, so arranging fans to preclude that condition is paramount. Front mounted 240/280mm AIO's with fans drawing air 'in' guarantee that can't occur...but that's not your preference.

Last edited:

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
That top fan is probably just recycling/recirculating the warm/hot air that's naturally going to go to the top of the case. You should looking to a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 or a Dark Rock Pro 4, both of which are beefy coolers, provided you want to stick to air cooling only.
Thank you. The build I have now was my 1st build after getting back into PC and tech stuff. The reason why I have 2 Be Quiet 140mm fans at the top acting as intake, is I felt having air blow directly down over the Wraith Prism, VRM's on the motherboard, and overall the motherboard itself lends to keeping the components cooler if I choose to overclock the CPU (again, I have 3 140mm fans at the front, 900 RPM...the Be Quiet's at the top are around 1204 RPM ). At idle, with the 5700x, the CPU temp is around 45 degrees C at 3.6mhz (the cores will jump to 4.6mhz depending on the load, which then temps jump to 50 or 60c) overall system is around 36 degrees C. If I do decide to get the 5800X3D with a premium air cooler, I will most likely re-configure them to exhaust.

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Negative.

Simplest answer:
Tower air cooler
OR

That case's design is focused on positive pressure; the lack of top ventilation means a more straight forward front to back approach. [IMO, I wouldn't even bother with top fans, but your mileage may vary.]
The Wraith relies more on the outdated side ventilation, which has kinda gone the way of the dodo.

More complex:
Ryzen can be hard to cool due to how the chiplets are laid out underneath the IHS, unlike Intel's, which are still smack dab in the middle. They aren't able to use as much power as some of the latter's options, so maybe that offsets that a bit?
Whether a cold plate's base is machined to be slightly concave or convex doesn't get touched upon very much, and that also causes some coolers to perform a little better/worse on Ryzen/Intel cpus than others.
Oh yeah, the IHS also bends slightly towards concave/convex under heat cycles... probably shouldn't think about it too hard.
Thank you!

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Negative.

Simplest answer:
Tower air cooler
OR

More complex:
Thank you for that. If I do get an AIO mounted in the front as you suggested, still keep the 3 stock intake fans of the case? Would that be a "push-pull" configuration?

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks all! In the title I used terms like "confirmed" to see whether anyone has the 5800X3D, what is the cooling solution used, and what has been the experience in terms of thermals of Air coolers vs AIO's. And also, it's gaming performance. By the way, I won't be overclocking the 5800X3D (I'm aware that it is "locked down" with this chip, though not in all cases apparently). In a nutshell, I am going BIG on the air solution: the Noctua NH-U12A chromax black. If I do decide to upgrade and go the route of this cooler, the 2 top Be Quiet fans used as intake will be re-configured to exhaust (some may know about the Sliverstone Primera PM-01 which has a "closed" plastic top, with an exhaust area in the back top and top sides...it's not a box-type case with an open mesh top found on many modern cases...it has outstanding air flow).

KyaraM

Admirable
You're referring to the 5800X3D? Why would you consider it a waste of money? Just curious...
You only really notice differences between CPUs at low(er) resolutions and with top-end cards like the 3090 or RX6900XT. A 3070 simply doesn't have enough juice to come anywhere near stressing even the i5-12400. A 3070Ti comes nowhere near getting my 12700k to even just 50% load at 1440p. Heck, even a 3090 isn't good enough past 1080p to fully load the CPU. You got a 5700X, which only released a couple months ago, too. There is no reason at all for you to spend that money on a 5800X3D with your setup. It's a waste. I would get a better cooler for the 5700X you already got.

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
You only really notice differences between CPUs at low(er) resolutions and with top-end cards like the 3090 or RX6900XT. A 3070 simply doesn't have enough juice to come anywhere near stressing even the i5-12400. A 3070Ti comes nowhere near getting my 12700k to even just 50% load at 1440p. Heck, even a 3090 isn't good enough past 1080p to fully load the CPU. You got a 5700X, which only released a couple months ago, too. There is no reason at all for you to spend that money on a 5800X3D with your setup. It's a waste. I would get a better cooler for the 5700X you already got.
Very interesting, thank you. I've just been intrigued by the 5800X3D reported gaming performances. I have the money: I have a 2060 Super Founders Edition GPU and a 3700x CPU just laying around in my office, and could easily sell them to cover the costs of the 5800X3D and a premium Noctua air cooler. I do 1440p gaming at high/ultra settings, and other than that, my PC is a "daily driver". I guess I'm just an enthusiast who wants the "best" for my upgrade path. But you make a interesting point, and I appreciate you feedback.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Question: could I keep and use the Wraith Prism for the 5800X3D
Thank you for that. If I do get an AIO mounted in the front as you suggested, still keep the 3 stock intake fans of the case? Would that be a "push-pull" configuration?
Generally, you don't keep the stock fans, except as spares.
Push-pull on AIO radiators has certain drawbacks:
Acoustics is one. Different fans may create annoying sounds.
Offer next to no extra cooling. AIO rads aren't so thick that air lulls in the middle of them, and due to the high Fins Per Inch rating on the vast majority of them, they deliver their optimal performance at the upper rpm ranges(not saying you can't run that at lower rpm and still get good cooling).

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Hello fellow enthusiasts! I am very strongly considering "upgrading" my Ryzen 5700X to the Ryzen 5800X3D after seeing much information on the stellar cache configuration, and how it lends to outstanding gaming performance. Before I get to my question, here is my PC configuration: My case is a Silverstone Primera PM01-RG, 4 stock fans...3 intake and 1 exhaust, added 2 Be Quiet 140mm fans at the top for intake (yes, intake). Everything is AIR. MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC with latest bios, Corsair16gb 3,600mhz RAM, RTX 3070 Tuff Gaming OC GPU. SO, I want to get the 5800X3D, but I don't no what will be the cooling solution considering the TDP is 105 watts. I've heard and seen info on how the chip runs hot, but here's my thing: I have a Wraith Prism cooler which was for my 3700x, and now I use for the 5700x for no problems. Again, my case has VERY adequate air flow and thermals, though it may not be the most quiet. The Wraith Prism cooler came with the 3900X CPU, which also has a TDP for 105 watts (like the 5800X3D). Question: could I keep and use the Wraith Prism for the 5800X3D considering the high air flow and thermals in my case or can anyone CONFIRM an Air cooler or AIO that will keep thermals under control? Thank you, and sorry that I'm long winded...I don't know how to post short explanations! :)

Hello! I'm sorry, I really don't have a suggestion for you. But we are using the same motherboard make and model.

Could you please share if you have decided to go with the R5800X3D and if you are able to run the CPU on your mobo? If so, what BIOS version are you on right now?

Could you share your BIOS installation process please?

Another confirmed -- 240 or 280mm AIO, front mounted with fans arranged for air intake. And turn the top fans back around to exhaust.

I wouldn't call the performance of the 5800X3d exactly STELLAR. It's the best gaming CPU overall but not by leaps and bounds in all titles and in titles that aren't cache sensitive it can lag a bit. Because of it's lower clocking it's not as good as a 5800X in routine desktop and creativity work; maybe not even as good as your 5700X if you tweak it's performance with curve optimizer. I agree you should really think about whether it's a wise purchase to be coupled with a mid-range GPU.