Question 5800x3d

Sep 11, 2022
Hi guys! I will say from the get go that I am very mediocre with computers, so sorry for stupid questions :(
So I just bought a 5800x3d and I have a couple questions for you:
1. On the official AMD website it says "Max Boost Clock: Up to 4.5GHz". However, when I try to google how to boost that CPU all that comes up are these "We did something that AMD doesn't allow. Check out this 4.8GHz overclock!" videos... So my question is, what is this boost and how do I achieve it?

2. In Max Memory Speed it says:
Max Memory Speed
2x1R DDR4-3200
2x2R DDR4-3200
4x1R DDR4-2933
4x2R DDR4-2667
What are these x1/2R things?

3. My main game is WoW and I know that it's running a single core. My question is, is it possible to find out what is the best performing core is on my CPU and dedicated it solely to WoW?

That's pretty much it, I feel like I've missed something, but oh well :D

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1) It should automatically boost to 4.5Ghz on its own if the temperatures and load is light enough. Those articles are using motherboards with features that allow the CPU to run faster than the designers intended. The X3D part refers to 3D V cache that was added to the chip, it is voltage and temperature sensitive since it sits on top of the CPUs directly, so they limited the clock speeds and power accessible to the CPU. This has been bypassed by some motherboard manufacturers.

2) Basically they are saying that officially 2 memory sticks is supported for 3200 MT/s, 4 single rank sticks is supported at 2933, and 4 dual rank sticks would only support 2666 MT/s
This would only apply if you were using very large memory sticks to get the maximum supported memory. 2x16GB is fine in any config. Also 3600 MT/s should not be hard to manage.

3) The game will run on the fastest core automatically, and shift to other cores, and do many things to be as optimal as possible. No need to worry about it.

Reactions: Gondawn
Hi guys! I will say from the get go that I am very mediocre with computers, so sorry for stupid questions :(
So I just bought a 5800x3d and I have a couple questions for you:
1. On the official AMD website it says "Max Boost Clock: Up to 4.5GHz". However, when I try to google how to boost that CPU all that comes up are these "We did something that AMD doesn't allow. Check out this 4.8GHz overclock!" videos... So my question is, what is this boost and how do I achieve it?
As AMD has told us...it will boost to max clock on one core at a time for light, bursty type processing loads. Light, bursty loads means CPU temps will be low so it's facilitated by better cooling. Not essential, but something like 240mm AIO or equivalent air cooler along with proper case ventilation so the GPU isn't heating up the CPU helps keep it boosting higher and longer during gaming action.

Be sure you're running the AMD chipset drivers to set up processor power management correctly and not running a bunch of extraneous utilities that are often nothing more than power viruses. I'd suggest uninstalling Ryzenmaster if you have it installed.

Use HWInfo64 for monitoring, set it up as shown in this thread.

Sep 11, 2022
As AMD has told us...it will boost to max clock on one core at a time for light, bursty type processing loads. Light, bursty loads means CPU temps will be low so it's facilitated by better cooling. Not essential, but something like 240mm AIO or equivalent air cooler along with proper case ventilation so the GPU isn't heating up the CPU helps keep it boosting higher and longer during gaming action.

Be sure you're running the AMD chipset drivers to set up processor power management correctly and not running a bunch of extraneous utilities that are often nothing more than power viruses. I'd suggest uninstalling Ryzenmaster if you have it installed.

Also use HWInfo64 for monitoring, set it up as shown in this thread.
So what you're saying that it will go up to 4.5GHz automatically when necessary to help with the load and it's not something I should be worried about?
Regardless AMD chipset drivers, is it like a standalone app? I am obviously running latest drivers, but I haven't downloaded anything for CPU specifically

So what you're saying that it will go up to 4.5GHz automatically when necessary to help with the load and it's not something I should be worried about?
Regardless AMD chipset drivers, is it like a standalone app? I am obviously running latest drivers, but I haven't downloaded anything for CPU specifically
That's correct.

It's not exactly an app since they are drivers specific to the chipset of your motherboard...get the installer here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Reactions: Gondawn