5820K/Asus X99 Pro/32GB DDR4 RAM Overclocking help!

Oct 7, 2018
Hi, iam pretty much a noob when it comes to overclocking and i would like some extra juice from my machine for music production etc. i currently have tried overclocking it to 4.2 ghz with 1.184 V and it's pretty stable although sometimes it crashes and gives me the:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bluescreen

I also find the Voltage pretty high for the GHZ if i compare to others on the internet, the only thing i did is change base clock to 42 and vcore to 1.184V, do i need to do more to make this stable and maby lower voltage? I tested lower voltages before and it did not really made a difference cranking the vcore voltage up... did i lost the silicone lottery?

For cooling i use a Nepton 240m watercooler and with this settings it stays somewhere around 50 celcius full load Aida64 stability test.

Specs:

Processor: i5820K
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4 2400MHZ
Mobo: Asus X99 Pro A
GPU: MSI 290X Lightning
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 gold
Fans: Silent wings 2
Case: Corsair 750D
Cooling: Nepton 240M LC

I do not really know what settings to turn on and off etc. and what the best way of doing the overclock is so i hope someone is willing to help me out with getting the most from my System :)

Thanks in advance!

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
most internet guides on haswell overclocking says you're reasonably safe up to 1.3V cpu voltage

if you're getting BSOD at 1.184V you should up the voltage a bit, run stress tests to make sure its stable at full load doing various calculations. Intel XTU and Asus Realbench are two pretty good stress test program to start with. Cinebench R15 is also a good indicator