5820K Will Not Overclock

imlose

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
I have a 5820K on a GA-X99-UD3, when I built the rig 8 months ago, I set it to 4.2Ghz @ 1.23V, which worked perfect for months. Today, I try going in and stepping to 4.5Ghz @ 1.28V, but it shuts down before getting into windows. So I go back to original 4.2 OC settings, still shuts down before it gets into windows. So I try a 100Mhz overclock @ stock voltage, still shuts down before it gets into windows. It will only boot if I have it at default settings. I am a relatively experienced overclocker, have been doing it on many rigs, and can not figure this out. All I want to do is go back to my 4.2Ghz setting, but not any OC will work, so I cant do that.

Long story short, OC worked perfect before, I try different OC, and now NO OC will work, even a 100Mhz OC. Will not boot unless on default settings.

What the hell happened???

I am using a V1000 PSU and cooling using an H60.

Solution
I'd try a CMOS clear/battery reinstall if you haven't already. Also, when you say "shut down", do you mean your PC is turning off, or rebooting itself? Also, as you pointed out, it's doubtful to be damaged as you've only tried 1.28v max.

imlose

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

All you are doing is trying to tell me how to overclock. As well as suggesting that I damaged a 5820K with 1.28V. Right.

I'd try a CMOS clear/battery reinstall if you haven't already. Also, when you say "shut down", do you mean your PC is turning off, or rebooting itself? Also, as you pointed out, it's doubtful to be damaged as you've only tried 1.28v max.

Solution

imlose

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

I have not tried battery reinstall, I will try that. When I say shut down - I exit bios immediately after applying OC, and do a restart. Upon turning back on, it stays back on for ~4 seconds, then shuts off, and boots back up on its own and puts me straight into BIOS where it recommends I apply default settings.

This, as stated in original post, happens when ANY level of OC is applied, even a 100Mhz OC.

imlose

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

I suppose I am a pessimist. I assume worst case scenario. It was as simple as the CMOS battery reseat. This is the second time you have helped me on this rig LiquidPC, once back in February if you remember, when I had to update my BIOS. I am back at my stable settings and we are good to go. Thank you.