5850 Boot Delay?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbb77

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Was able to locate a Sapphire 5850 and installed it yesterday. Graphics are noticeably better / smoother in all games; even with setting cranked up. Only gripe appears to be with pc boot-up. For some reason, now my pc takes a good 45-50 secs after I hit the power button, to post and begin load into Windows. Never had this before. I've rechecked the card and all cables. Am using a Corsair tx-750W power supply which is support and should be sufficient. Curious are other users with this card experiencing the same thing? Do I have a defective card?

DeeJee

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Okay I flashed my bios anyway, and gues what the boot dealy is gone, it boot right up after I hit the power button.
Like said before I have an asus P5N32-E sli plus board, now with the latest bios (1502) and it works great.
NO thanks to the club 3d for not replying to my questions.

DeeJee

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
it was an update especially for users with new models of amd gpu chipsets.
there was no other remark than that in the list with fixes on the asus website for the latest bios.
So indeed lets hope our motherboard manufacturers will do some bios update, witch they wouldn't have had to do if amd just wrote some decent coding on those cards, making them backwards compatible

:lol:

Well, to be fair though we don't know the full story on these incompatibilities, I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose (perhaps it was from something new they added). The ony way they could guarantee compatibility is if they kept rebranding the same card.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Well EXT64 I can honestly tell you those 'stories' are real
DeeJee is lucky, he has Asus, and they released a BIOS update

I complained to eVGA, and they told me to flash the BIOS of the ATI Radeon card

So in other words they lied to me, I might try starting a new update, but damn, I sort of know their answer by know

Anyway, cbb77, what happened with your POST delays?

I was wondering if I should buy the Nvidia GTX 465, use my integrated GeForce 9300, or go and buy the ATI Radeon 5770

I suppose I would have the POST delay problems with ALL the 5000 series of ATI

It's ridiculous

I ended up selling the Radeon 5850, it's too annoying to wait 35-45 seconds each and every time you want to use your computer

And the bastards at EVGA won't release an update, they won't even try the Radeon on their old motherboards, they are married to Nvidia's

Anyway, does anybody knows if I should flash the BIOS of the ATI Radeon, how to do that, and if that will help at all?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I have 15 seconds delay before I hear the beep sound and see the BIOS screen.

I also watch the LED lights on the M/B that illuminate during the 15 sec delay ( Computer case side cover is perforated so I can see the LEDs. ). RAM LED lights the longest but gfx card LED lights about 2-3 secs only. Cpu, RAM, gfx card and boot device have LEDs. Computer beeps and BIOS logo appears before boot device LED shines.

Therefore, in my computer it is not the gfx card that causes the delay.

I have the latest M/B BIOS version dated 07 June 2010.

I have the following components:

Asus P7P55D M/B
Sapphire Radeon HD5770 gfx card
Kingston DDR3-1333 RAM ( 4 ea. 2 GB modules )
OCZ Colossus 120GB SSD
Antec Neopower Blue 650 W PSU
Gigabyte iSOLO 210 comp case
LG Bluray DVD-RW
Sony DVD-RW

I built this computer 5 months ago and had only one gfx card since then. Therefore, I do not have experience with other gfx cards.

Hope this info is helpful.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hello. I switched to ASUS AM3 motherboard and XFX Radeon 5770 graphic card.
System now boots in 5-7 seconds

EVGA sucks

simple as that, I begged them for a BIOS update for 6 months

Intel is mainly a business
upgrade your motherboard every year or so, if you want to have the latest processors

So old motherboards don't have too much support, all nForce 700 series are pretty much useless now, all Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad... are pretty much useless

unless you find a decent company that is willing to keep their 'old' motherboards update

I know in AMD world, the philosophy is to keep the old motherboards running

download a BIOS update, and use the latest 1055T or 1090T in the old AM2 motherboard.

So folks, I just switched to AMD

Intel Core i7 users are happy, well get ready to switch your motherboards again at the beginning of 2011.

by the way, I have an ASUS P6T deluxe motherboard (new, sealed) for sale :)
if anyone's interested, let me know