May 14, 2010
System Specs:
Deneb Black Stock w/ Coolermaster
850 TX Corsair Power Supply
M4A89GTD (updated bios this week)
xFx 5850HD (11.9 Catalyst)
8 GB DDR3 1600 stock (cas 9)
Win7 64

I updated my Catalyst / Bios about a week ago and since then all hell has broken loose.
Either I just have very bad luck with timing or my bios/catalyst update is creating issues for my card.

Issue:
[strike]1. Memory timing on my Mobo. I had to use my MemOK just to get my system to post. I had overclocked my RAM long long ago and all of a sudden my MOBO wasn't happy. My MemOK set everything back to stock and its been stable on the memory front but again running at stock now. RESOLVED[/strike]

2. My XFX which has been a workhorse for me 1 year without any problems gaming 1-5 hours a day (low load resolution gaming- WoW) has started acting up.

Problem: During games temps are very good 32c up to 41c max load, fan is doing its thing, throttling and then BOOM my card cuts off
and my screen says "No Signal" the rest of my system just keeps purring away. Also I should note that it cuts out during during regular usage as well, not just during games.

Solutions I have tried:
1. Cleaning the card of dust
2. Re- seating it in the PCI slot
3. Rolling back the drivers
4. punching the card with my fist!

Is my time up with this card?

Perhaps someone could suggest a testing utility for my GPU that includes a memtest? Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Solution
I had a similar issue before, actually twice caused by different things

Once it was my 24pin motherboard extension cable, it had burnt out, and so wasn't able to supply the PCI-E lanes with enough power

The second time it was caused by not enough IOH votage on a s1366 system, basically the north bridge voltage.

Like you I would be just using my PC as normal and then boom (headshot?) "No signal", would happen much more often when gaming
I'd sometimes get a BSOD with a BCCODE of 0x116.

In my attempts at the time to troubleshoot the issue I tried different monitors, cables, drivers, fresh install of W7, no overclocks, only critical hardware connected ETC...

Very differcult issue to troubleshoot unfortunately.

EDIT: Just to add I've...
I had a similar issue before, actually twice caused by different things

Once it was my 24pin motherboard extension cable, it had burnt out, and so wasn't able to supply the PCI-E lanes with enough power

The second time it was caused by not enough IOH votage on a s1366 system, basically the north bridge voltage.

Like you I would be just using my PC as normal and then boom (headshot?) "No signal", would happen much more often when gaming
I'd sometimes get a BSOD with a BCCODE of 0x116.

In my attempts at the time to troubleshoot the issue I tried different monitors, cables, drivers, fresh install of W7, no overclocks, only critical hardware connected ETC...

Very differcult issue to troubleshoot unfortunately.

EDIT: Just to add I've had the same issue with both nVidia and ATI cards (including HD5850's)

Solution

big_mike

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Thanks. I will try re-seating my mobo cable.
Could you suggest a card testing solution? Something that will test the memory and core not necessarily "stress" it.

Thanks for your feeback!

I usually leave Unigine Heaven V2.5 on maximum settings running for a few hours, although this benchmark doesn't use a huge amount of VRAM, for that you'll need a game like Crysis 2, Metro 2033, Dragon Age 2 (with high resolution texture pack) Battlefield 3...

I also thought that the issue may be with the graphics card, I tested mine in a friends PC and it worked fine (to my surprise at the time) for me the issue was environmental

TRENDING THREADS