5850 crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I just bought a second 5850 (asus) to put in crossfire with my HIS one. I think I did everything properly, uninstalled all catalyst software, sweep clean all the drivers. Plugged it in, put the crossfire bridge and then i rebooted. I installed the software, drivers and profiles. Now benchmark tests are giving me a lower 3D mark than with only one card and Fps hasn't changed at all from the 60 fps I get in pretty much every game.

I tried reinstalling everything a few times, switch both cards in their PCIE x 16 slots. I've been through forums, a lot suggest the power saving issue and changing the 1s to 0s, but then others say its not supposed to be changed because it's a feature. I dont know what else to try, I'm starting to think its something to do with the rest of my hardware.

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz Stock

HIS H585FN1GD Radeon HD 5850

ASUS EAH5850 Radeon HD 5850

DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
set driver settings to default (i.e anti aliasing, anisotropic, vsync, ...) And re run the benchmark.

Also make sure you are not using the latest Beta drivers from AMD. AMD released these Beta Drivers for BF3 Beta, they may not work properly with other stuff.

Note: I have two of these cards from XFX and my processor is @ AMD X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz. I dont believe the CPU is bottlenecking in your case, so i would recommend the above mentioned method and make sure your driver is stable and final not the beta.

good luck

oscarmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Turning off vsync seems to have stopped it from peaking at 60 FPS. For the rest, i put AA and AF to defaults, which seems to be turned off totally. In games should i keep those (aa, af) off ? Or should does it depend on the game? Thanks btw, still running benchmarks and fraps. Driver are stable, they are the latest official.

oscarmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
No not yet. To be honest I've never done any overclocking before. I wouldn't know where to start, Ive never done the research. Wouldn't I need water cooling? Because I still use the stock heatsink!

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
yeh vsync will cap your framerate to the refresh rate of your monitor (usually 60hz which = 60 frames per second) which is often a good thing providing you are getting close to the cap otherwise it can really decrease frame rates. what you wanna do is reference your average and minimum frame rates against eachother! thats what really matters!!

Status
Not open for further replies.