5870 Crashes Starcraft 2

Memphisk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I have a sapphire 5870, and sometimes when i play Starcraft 2, game works fine, but other times i will be playing, the game will stop, screen goes blank for a sec, turns random colors (all tan, all black, etc etc) then it will go abck to the game like nothing happened. I also Play WOW and i never had this issue, running WOW at ultra setting. Does anyone else have this issue with Starcraft 2 with this card?

Memphisk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
i used Driversweeper and did a fresh clean. Still same problem. I believe its ONLY for starcraft 2. I play WOW perfectly, and i played about an hour ish to 2 hours of Massive effect 2 at ultra settings with no issues.

nova64

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Very strange, I am having a very similar problem, except now, i cannot get my graphic card to work!

I purchased a Sapphire Radeon 5850 Toxic Card and its been running great since March. I was playing SC2 Beta last night and i got that same crash. However, when i reboot, I get weird horizontal lines across the display, and when i enter windows 7 i blue screen after a few seconds. When i uninstall the 10.5 drivers and use the windows generic assigned driver everything is working well (except i am not running at 1980x1020)

I am not sure what the best course of action to remedy this problem. Do i need to run some sort of drive cleaner, or does a simple uninstall of the drivers and uninstall of the ATI Catalyst then re-install? Because that is what i did, and still cant get into windows 7 without crashing using the ATI drivers. :/

nova64

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

My PSU is a Corsair HX 850 Watt.

Rest of the system

i7 930
ASUS P6x58D Mobo
6 GB Dominator RAM
Sapphire Radeon 5850
1 TB WD HD
DVD Drive
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Corsair HX850 PSU
Cooler Master V8 CPU coolr
HAF 932 Case

Does this card typically need extra cooling? How do i know if my PSU caused the problem?

Hey guys the fix is easy, go into Catalyst Control Center and Disable Catalyst A.I.

I had the same problem, this fixes it. It also basically disables crossfire if you're using that, but crossfire has a whole different set of issues in SC2... (invisible spots on the map)

Nova: that actually sounds like your card is FUBAR but I don't see how that happened. You should try to RMA it. My old 8600GT died on me, it froze up in Dirt and then I did a hard reboot, after that I had lines through it. It died by overheat. However a 5850 has good enough cooling, the toxic edition is even upgraded. How old is it tho? If it's been more than a year it might have collected dust in the heat sink and overheated. That's what killed my 8600gt

nova64

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

I have only had it since March, and everything in the case looked pretty darn clean. I am working on RMA'ing it as its under a 1 year parts/labor warranty. I just want to prevent or at least do my best to prevent it from dying when i get a new one. The case is so big and has plenty of air flow, i didn't think it would be a heat issue. As far as power goes, i know my PSU is plenty big enough as i bought it considering i would eventually add another card for crossfire mode.

+1

Starcraft 2 hasn't been released yet. In beta you have to EXPECT problems. That's the whole point of the beta process, is to find these problems. Report them to Blizzard so they can fix them and release the game soon. :)

nova64

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

I definitely will, i just want to know if it had to do with the game itself before crying wolf the blizzard. I appreciate your responses by the way. This build was my first from scratch, so its definitely a learning process.

nova64

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

Yeah, after some testing yesterday, and trying out different drivers, it was running very strange, and the blue-screening continued. I am in process of waiting for my RMA to be approved by Athlon-Micro. Hopefully I'll hear back soon, because this wait is going to be painful :(

Do you recommend any cards that are under 200 bucks that may serve as a decent replacement until i get my 5850 back? This way, i can give my brother the replacement as it would likely be an upgrade for his computer. I run a 24" monitor at 1980x1080 resolution.

Nothing will come close to a 5850 for under $200, but you might consider either a 5770 or I guess a GTX 260.

nova64

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah i may do that. I got my RMA info today, so later on i will be shipping it back. Hopefully the turn around will be quick.

Yeah, i don't need to max out settings for my rig on the new card. No sense in spending that much money for just a couple of weeks of being able to use the machine.

dieballe

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I might know what happen, what you should do is google "starcraft 2 overheat" and you'll see that this game has a little bug, witch if you don't solve it i will destroy your video card.
I couldn't believe it either, but if you search for it, you will find lot's of users who's video card was overheated.
Blizzard sais that if you add some lines to the file " Documents\StarCraft II\Variables.txt " the problem is solved, but just in case they comited another mistake, I decided not to play it anymore....

The lines are:

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

it's up to you to decide to keep playing of forget this game ever existed and keep alive your video card.

Bye

Diego

leon2006

Distinguished
ATI beta drivers for starcraft2

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Catalyst-driver-Starcraft-SC2,10992.html

I have not installed any of these fixes on my machines and so far so good playing starcraft2. I have a GTX 280OC 8800GT OC, 4890CF. There are times that that the game runs > 8 hrs without any issue.

My room temperature varies from 22C to 26C. All my cases are Antec 900 with added fans on the side panel.

I will install these fixes before its too late.

TRENDING THREADS