5870 Dual Monitor Screen Tear/Flickering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I just got a 5870 from 4870 and immediately noticed that whenever the automatic 2D to 3D clock jumps up to full 850/1200 there is a significant flicker to a tear in the #2 monitor only and when i use Extended Desktop. it is repeatable and only happens at that point. i graphed it and can see the vccd/vccd1 amp jump is from 2.6A/4.2A to 11.4A/12A>. I am using a MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner instead of the SmartDoctor from Asus that came with it because i had it with the 4870 and liked it and it also has the low the de-clocking limit at 600mhz/900mz instead of the other 157/300mhz. All the temps are low when this happens 38-40C . no problems at all on single monitor though there is significant throtling up and back for the vccd volt/amp and the clocks. all the time there is not more than 30-40%gpu use. I can reproduce it easily by just scrolling up and down some web pages. when the 2D is flat line (600/900mhz) no problems and when i am in a game or max gpu use no 2nd monitor issue. i have done every switch and combo, hdmi dvi, both dvi ports dont know. it is like a recurring short. like a lap top i had where the wear on the hinges causes some shorts to the panel but this screen tear or flicker is fast and easy to pin point. though the vddc amps jump up and down, the gpuz graph looks like a comb or gap tooth smile, the volts are steady flat line during the clocks and amps jumping so the regulator seems ok . i dont know why the amp draw is dropped so low even when the clocks are at 600/900. If everything stayed level there would be no screen tear. even with the bouncing around there shouldnt be that effect in the 2 monitor for Extended Desktop.
I know there are any number of other people with the issue , i have gotten no response, nor have they , from amd/ati , asus either and have posted at those forums without any corrective experiences. some suggestions for similar types of problems but nothing for the same . I am using win7 x64 bit home premium. many other people ,not all though, are 7/64 as well though some XP and vista 64 too.
I should have enough power I just put a Thermaltake xt 750 in and i used a Mushkin enhanced 580 with the 4870 and no problem. i had the 580 running this as well till last week and never had a power problem, never had any problem.
I built this last Nov and have kept up to date with the drivers, put in ccc 10.2 last week, Gigabyte M4A79XTD EVO, Asus EAS5870, PhenomII 3.4 (oc 3.77 not for testing)965BE,GSkill ddr3 1600 pc12,800, 2x Samsung F1 750s, Xigmatek s1283 cooler, thermaltake xt750, win7 x64 home prem, hp 1270dvd/cd24xSuperMulti, LiteOn 8xBD/dvd combo, CM RC 690 4 Scythe s-flex case fans 1sine intake , 3exhaust- top/rear .
The card and case are well cooled and heat has not been an issue for this problem, I would appreciate any insights as to what I might do to correct this. I have tried just about all I can think of, some suggestions, remove and reinstall directX with SDK version someone said helped a like situation but heat may have been related to his. mostly just trying process of elimination. have taken off or disabled software to check on conflicts. I use the 2nd monitor to keep tool sets or other utilities so i can keep the larger screen in tact or in 2 parts. I tried to make a group but with different size monitors it just isnt right though might be a fix for someone with the issue with twin displays.
thank anyone spending time on this problem
John

Solution
i just ran into the same issue, there seems to be 2 important things to do...

create 2 profiles in CCC, one for regular usage, other for higher usage playback (HD video etc..)

go and edit each (xml) profile that has been created (path varies based on OS, should be in your documents, user area)

when editing the profile file in ATI/ACE/Profiles/

example of the first xml file
Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="30000"
Property name="Want_1" value="30000"
Property name="Want_2" value="85000"

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="90000"
Property name="Want_1" value="90000"
Property name="Want_2"...

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have worked on the profiles as you pointed out and see what you mean . i have not had a problem with tearing but my clock is aways runnnig at 1200. the memory is as you say, up and down. but mostly will stay steasy at 400 even though i went through with the want 1 + 0 made them the same and put 600000 for each to see if it would change it wont. it stays at 400. what is odd and i can not find where it is : when i put a blu ray in to watch a movie the clock goes down to 900 but it is at 1200 for regular dvd and htis is in power dvd 10 ultra. the memory is a steady 600 no bouncing up and down as it does in 2d dvd watching it bounces from 850 to 400 the clock stays put at 1200. there is no tearing no flicker smooth running. i just can see it on the graphs i have on the 2nd monitor. i can watch everything as it is going on. there is no gpu use either in blu ray and no significant cpu use either. 400/900. and for plain dvd or streaming it is gup use between 12% and 40% but i do have other things going on as well as dvd sometimes but not significant and have the same things going on when watching the blu ray and it is steady and showing <5% gpu use
just thought i would add that.

Sewje

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I have this issue on my Laptop Mobile Radeon 4650, I noticed tho when I leave the power saving to lowest, I don't get the tearing, only when it goes into performance mode does it happen, so it definitely has something to do with higher clocks speeds.

rbstoltz

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

I have been "dealing" with Dell over this issue for several weeks now and at times I feel like they do not understand nor do they even have an idea how to correct this issue! But with the help of this thread that I have forwarded to them maybe they can get "their feet on the ground"(?). Unfortunately I have been on CCC 10.6 since June 24 and was still experiencing the flickering/tearing on the right monitor when using IE8 on the left monitor with the last instance identified on June 27 at about 1PM. I have no idea what corrected the issue, if it is truly corrected as I have not seen the issue since I reset the GPU Clock and Memory Clock back to their "Default" values from the "CCC Auto Tuned" values and performed a Restart on the system. So far it has been stable for 5.5 days without any issues. I have not had to set any profiles nor flash the BIOS, but one thing is for sure is that AMD/ATI has not gotten back to me since I identified the specifics of this issue!

You’re probably asking why I have even bothered to contact Dell? This all started with the purchase of a new Dell 9000 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 video adapter on November 20, 2009. Since day one out of the box the system had Black Out screen issues on both monitors which at that time were Dell 2408WFPs. So 8 months later I have gone through 5 new PCs in parts or whole, 5 monitor change outs with finally 2 new Dell U2410s. In addition during this time the processor was upgraded twice and the video card was changed 3 times finally ending up with the ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series. So until this was corrected I was not accepting the PC as delievered… Fortunately the Black Out screen issues disappeared with switching to U2410s, but something is still amiss and I’m not holding my breath nor have I accepted the Dell purchase as okay! Only time will tell, but it is simply amazing that this problems exist on hardware and systems that are being sold to the public!

rbstoltz

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
UPDATE:
I was wrong that it has been corrected! I was just on several web pages where the issue is very evident and remains even with the adding of profiles as suggested as the best answer!!!

smithme08

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Adding a profile, setting the memory settings to 120000 and activating overdrive fixed this problem for me. I'm using a 5870, with a Dell U2410 and a newly added Asus VH242 (thus the flickering began). Thanks for the fix, its GREATLY appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.