5870 Dual Monitor Screen Tear/Flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I just got a 5870 from 4870 and immediately noticed that whenever the automatic 2D to 3D clock jumps up to full 850/1200 there is a significant flicker to a tear in the #2 monitor only and when i use Extended Desktop. it is repeatable and only happens at that point. i graphed it and can see the vccd/vccd1 amp jump is from 2.6A/4.2A to 11.4A/12A>. I am using a MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner instead of the SmartDoctor from Asus that came with it because i had it with the 4870 and liked it and it also has the low the de-clocking limit at 600mhz/900mz instead of the other 157/300mhz. All the temps are low when this happens 38-40C . no problems at all on single monitor though there is significant throtling up and back for the vccd volt/amp and the clocks. all the time there is not more than 30-40%gpu use. I can reproduce it easily by just scrolling up and down some web pages. when the 2D is flat line (600/900mhz) no problems and when i am in a game or max gpu use no 2nd monitor issue. i have done every switch and combo, hdmi dvi, both dvi ports dont know. it is like a recurring short. like a lap top i had where the wear on the hinges causes some shorts to the panel but this screen tear or flicker is fast and easy to pin point. though the vddc amps jump up and down, the gpuz graph looks like a comb or gap tooth smile, the volts are steady flat line during the clocks and amps jumping so the regulator seems ok . i dont know why the amp draw is dropped so low even when the clocks are at 600/900. If everything stayed level there would be no screen tear. even with the bouncing around there shouldnt be that effect in the 2 monitor for Extended Desktop.
I know there are any number of other people with the issue , i have gotten no response, nor have they , from amd/ati , asus either and have posted at those forums without any corrective experiences. some suggestions for similar types of problems but nothing for the same . I am using win7 x64 bit home premium. many other people ,not all though, are 7/64 as well though some XP and vista 64 too.
I should have enough power I just put a Thermaltake xt 750 in and i used a Mushkin enhanced 580 with the 4870 and no problem. i had the 580 running this as well till last week and never had a power problem, never had any problem.
I built this last Nov and have kept up to date with the drivers, put in ccc 10.2 last week, Gigabyte M4A79XTD EVO, Asus EAS5870, PhenomII 3.4 (oc 3.77 not for testing)965BE,GSkill ddr3 1600 pc12,800, 2x Samsung F1 750s, Xigmatek s1283 cooler, thermaltake xt750, win7 x64 home prem, hp 1270dvd/cd24xSuperMulti, LiteOn 8xBD/dvd combo, CM RC 690 4 Scythe s-flex case fans 1sine intake , 3exhaust- top/rear .
The card and case are well cooled and heat has not been an issue for this problem, I would appreciate any insights as to what I might do to correct this. I have tried just about all I can think of, some suggestions, remove and reinstall directX with SDK version someone said helped a like situation but heat may have been related to his. mostly just trying process of elimination. have taken off or disabled software to check on conflicts. I use the 2nd monitor to keep tool sets or other utilities so i can keep the larger screen in tact or in 2 parts. I tried to make a group but with different size monitors it just isnt right though might be a fix for someone with the issue with twin displays.
thank anyone spending time on this problem
John

Solution
i just ran into the same issue, there seems to be 2 important things to do...

create 2 profiles in CCC, one for regular usage, other for higher usage playback (HD video etc..)

go and edit each (xml) profile that has been created (path varies based on OS, should be in your documents, user area)

when editing the profile file in ATI/ACE/Profiles/

example of the first xml file
Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="30000"
Property name="Want_1" value="30000"
Property name="Want_2" value="85000"

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="90000"
Property name="Want_1" value="90000"
Property name="Want_2"...

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
it is definitely tied to overdrive in ccc somehow. if auto tune is off there is a much better chance of controlling how the thing will de clock. i use afterburner and would have used smartdoctor and gamer but smartdoctor had some issues and it was too small and i couldnt zoom the interface and afterburner was more convenient as well as being tied to riva tuner which is quite versitile and powerful. but afterburner had smoothed out the edges that might make it great for someone more experienced than i am. i can keep 2monitors fine as long as i can keep the clocks from being taken down too far. i had a crash of afterburner for some reason and i had to reinstall it so i got to see how much the trouble is directly related to the 2d/3d changes in the clock settings .it just isnt right but i used the 10.3preview drivers which helped greatly but i still have to keep afterburner so i can avoid overdrive and its connection to ccc. i use ccc but not the new part where it is connected to autotune and overdrive. it just isnt working well enough yet. i would prefer to use it all ati ccc whatever but the low clock speeds it goes to by default are far too low for me to run what i do on 2 monitors and forget about3. i am afraid to open that can or worms just now. i can keep the low 2d clock from 157/300 its default and keep it to 400 or 600/1200 and let the core clock throtle up and down from 850 and no problems with 2 monitors, all t his is only in 2d and extended decktop in the second monitor. no problems in 3d of course because there is plenty of horsepower on hand. i dont know where they got the idea that 157/300 could be near enough even at idle just because it is 2d doesnt mean there wont be h264 or other video which has big draw . makes the 2d monitor shake as if it had 16mm film in it and it skipped and is out of sync.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i just ran into the same issue, there seems to be 2 important things to do...

create 2 profiles in CCC, one for regular usage, other for higher usage playback (HD video etc..)

go and edit each (xml) profile that has been created (path varies based on OS, should be in your documents, user area)

when editing the profile file in ATI/ACE/Profiles/

example of the first xml file

Property name="Want_0" value="90000"
Property name="Want_1" value="90000"
Property name="Want_2" value="120000"

my 2nd xml file would look like this

Property name="Want_0" value="120000"
Property name="Want_1" value="120000"
Property name="Want_2" value="120000"

remember want_2 is your 3D speed

want 0 is the low 2d setting want 1 is the higher 2d setting or maybe low 3d state? i saw that speed only go up sometimes when scrolling in browser really fast, and other apps it didnt do it

so setting anything lower then 900 for the ram setting seems to not work the gpu speed can be pretty low, im testing it with 300 but i think up to 500 is enough

the key is to set both the want 0 and want 1 the same, it prevents i think clocking up and down in the 2d mode to the low3d or high 2d dont know which one it is

but it did help me a lot watching the media center on the 2nd extended monitor is now smooth, interesting as i tried 899 and it didnt work when you go 900 it works its like a set value some kind of driver bug probably

also if you are going a lot from 3d and 2d you will still have that jump, in that case you should set your mem to the max 3d setting in 2d too, otherwise you still get a think some tearing, it seems it has something to do with the memory and not the core scaling up and down in mhz or i should say more so in memory then the core

Solution

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have worked with this card and issue for a couple of months now and am convinced the card it just fine. I was given an RMA but opted not to send it back thinking the problem would not be solved by just getting a new card. in order to prevent all the low power states , i just always open and keep 2 monitors open all the time; instead of being an energy saver, i now wind up using more just so i dont crash when i try to put a game in or begin to convert some video. By disableing OD and auto tune i am able to use msi afterburner to establish the profiles but still there is something left which is ahead of afterburner and i have not been able to cancel out. I am not sure how to get to all the "feature Name" and Property name" places but i know it is what i need to do for a working alternative. I have the riva tuner tool but it is too complicated, or too many fields to enter values and not sure what would go where. a couple of dozen places to tweak one thing or another . Thanks for sharing this information and it is helpful now i have to figure out just how to implement it. ( the last ccc update to 10.3 did help a great deal with the flicker but did not fix it on my machine)
John D

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

just try the above what i did, i tested it with 1080i video playing and watching it, for some reason it keeps on going or jumping into 3d settings, so if you wish the smoothest playback the memory must match the highest step up.

that means since the 1080 video was going to 3d mode i set all the memory values in that ati profile that i created for CCC to 1200000

but for avg usage i have mine set to 900000 and its fine, only if i want to play hd video ill just switch the profile, also note that going too low in the core clock i think can give you a BSOD, i would stay at least 300000 core if going to 1200000

this is the simplest solution requiring no third party software, just creating and modifying the CCC profiles, the ccc profiles are in different areas but i gave the general path, its an xml file which you can open with notepad and edit it, you will see the fields i posted

just create 2 profiles like i did, one has the 900mhz ram speed the other has 1200mhz ram setting and core at 300mhz

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
How about all those memory voltage , core voltage targets fan protocols? I have some profiles which have no provision for the gpu at all and some where i have a whole long thing going from group name overdrive all the way down to fan speed protocols and speeds and percentages. I added only the clocks part as you wrote, (i copied and pasted a part of a profile i liked) I can do the same thing from any one of the 2 monitor set ups i like for the profiles because I have some profiles that only deal with the monitor and not the clocks and a couple other profiles which deal with both monitors and everything else too.
thanks
I hope i dont mess anything up, i am leaving all voltage settings alone anyway.fan speeds are easy to control with afterburner anyway so i dont worry about that .i guess i will test the profiles to see if any thing changes.
thanks
john

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i wouldnt mess with the voltages, but im guessing its possible to mess with the want 0 and want 1, though im not sure how its rated, it seems like its in mV, or something like that as its in the thousands

i didnt notice any temperature drop with messing with the want 0, i think you automatically get higher temps when you bump the ram up and core, i noticed about 2 or 3C jump at idle...

its possible that maybe the want 0 voltage might have to be bumped a bit? but i havent seen any stability issues, im sure someone with a lot more knowledge could chime on this as I only got to play with it yesterday :p

you can google how to edit the CCC profiles, thats how i found this info but nobody was able to pinpoint the issue like i did with trial and error

im sure that ati will probably create some kind of delayed or smoother maybe even logarithmic stepping system were the core and ram dont just instantly jump, and hopefully give us more control or variables to play with, as i dont think this type of thermal cycling is good for any gpu, just when watching video or even when doing the slide show in windows media center, i think its stupid

goatsword

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
D3D overrider fixed all of my flickering issues, but it does cap you at 60FPS. I also recommend using high quality DVI or HDMi cables, not the ones that ship with monitors for example. Make sure you are running Catalyst 10.3b.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
the flickering only happens when the gpu goes up, otherwise everything plays fine, and this fix does work and requires no third party software :p and yes i have good cables and never had issues and i have no cap on fps

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I got the latest release of the ccc and it came after the 10.3a I just opened up the profiles i had set up to check and the ones i use were already set to the same thing as you noted you changed so all i had ot do was copy/ paste top part which dealt with the core/memory clocks and just added in the stuff which was already plugged from the profile because I had the afterburner profiled running when i set up the ccc profiles and just checked the boxes in the tree as i set up the display parts of the profile. i just got lucky , i guess that the thing (afterburner) had the gpu running just where it needed to be when it set. I had overdrive off and auto tune off too. I will see how those profiles hold up of if they crash everything but at least i know where they all are and how to get at them to make changes. like the fan speeds that were overlapping for a second

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

be careful with copy paste as i removed the starting and ending tags as they would be conflicting with html code (on the forums)

you should only copy and paste the numerical values in the quotes example: value="900000" only the 900000

so that you dont mess up the structure and the profile might not work at all, you should be able to verify your profile works by activating it and seeing the core and mem speeds change to what you put in the profile

I noticed I had to activate more then once a profile to switch, it didnt register sometimes, go figure

GL

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
even after doing all of that , and i get no flicker and it is all quite stable as it has been since i by accident incorporated afterburners clock profiles along with the ccc profiles i set up. the only thing is that even though i have the core clock to run at 600 in both afterburner and now even edited the xml file for ccc , it still choses to run at only 400 but boosts right up when ever there are even slight graphics load from almost any source but it will peak and valley with only milliseconds it seems but 300 or 400 millisecond dips to 400mhz then back up to 850 for 4 or 5 seconds then the quick dip. i am still looking for where all that data is.
john

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i just went and turned on my HD tv to test this again, it seems that for whatever reason there is a conflict with refresh rates, if i set the HD tv to 1080 with 30i hz vs 1080 60hz then the flickering will switch to my LCD screen, from the HD TV and the other way around, seems that running at the 3d setting fixes that so i can run whatever resolution i want on the HD tv and no flicker on my LCD either

btw this doesnt happen when i dont have 2nd display, so there is a lot going on besides the standard flicker/tearing issues with single display and then complicates with a 2nd display especially when going between 30i hz and 60hz refresh rates

also having both displays at 60hz seems to not have that 2d slow down as much and moving around screens seems smoother

this is pretty annoying as all the idle power saving that we are promised with these new ati cards just goes out the window esp when you have to run the ram at full speed and the core 2x then what is set by default

really hope they fix this permanently with new driver

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

i had something similar to strange value that was not on my CCC profile appear, i dont know maybe restart will fix it

also you can not have a lower clock setting in one of the other modes, i found this out, what i mean is want 0 <= want 1 <= want 2

they can be equal but not greater then the next stepping up

i gave up on third party software when i noticed some of them screwed up my 3d performance as these 5000 series are quite new and some settings messed up more then improve, some tweaks will screw you over, this is why im sticking only with CCC atm and im not o/c (3d stepping)

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
since i know absolutely nothing about writing any kinds of programs whatsoever. i am way below a novice on any scale. i had to make sure i copied only from a profile i know and what it does and copied exactly from where it started noting the specific lines and spaces even. i was afraid to do much real typing because i made a mistake a long time ago and screwed up everything so bad i couldnt re start and had no idea where or what i could have done. i only copied and pasted the portion which included the core and memory clocks on those profiles i left it off and then i put it in exactly where i saw it set up in the functioning profile. i only have a few profiles and 3 of them are very close to being exact clones only changed some small gamma color saturation for doing text from video/movies. one i had just right and the other one i didnt have the clocks in the profiles and was having the flicker low horsepower issues so i just added the part which covers the speeds, volts, fan stuff. it was far too much for me to copy without making some small mistake that might have messed it all up. i wanted to make sure the speeds went with the fan profiles since it is getting hot and i dont want to be looking for how to start the fan back up if i made it a zero % or left it out and it wouldnt cycle on.
i know the first one works so it must be ok. so far it is anyway. it is not any different than before except the one i added the paste and so far it isnt going 157/300mhz anymore. have to wait for a reboot or 2 to make sure i saved everything properly.
I appreciate the little bit of information you posted, i had a little troule finding the path to the profiles but i had no idea i could do that and now can go look for other problems like that.
thanks
john

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
i noticed the same things on the single monitor but it slowed down so much i only put on both after i figured out how to get rid of the flicker or tear and kept the base speeds high enough so i didnt crash if i tried to start up a graphic intensive operation ,like converting a little bit of video or putting a game in the drive stalker would crash as soon as i put it in the drive. every time, i stopped using it, only had once or twice on the 4870 and it was no problem at all, i had been expecting better performance from the $400 on the 5870 only to encounter all these dumb little issues from bad programming or drivers whatever they do to make them go. the mechanical parts seem good and i dont know enough to just work around the problems.
what i dont understand is why they made this real good powerful single card and then hamstring it by making it go so slow. like having a nice 12cylinder ferrari and only being given 6spark plugs. i am trying to make it forget about two tier operation forget about 2d vs 3d needs and just have it run flat out all the time have the power available when i start up a program and use it then and have it pretty inert when nothing is in . i always have things going on in this machine as it goes 24/7 and i re boot now and then when i purge things out but it is mostly on and things happening

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I went through all my profiles that i edited and found i had created some issues with dvd playback in powerdvd 10 and even in the vlc media player. I was able to adjust this by changing profiles but had to reboot because there was a residual audio issue. for some reason, the audio skipped in both players. I will have to delete all the profiles and try to start again.
2 of the profiles i used the ccc graphics changes only and did not include any of the check box options below therefore, the xml files were shorter and did not have anything about the other apps as 3 profiles where i checked the all ccc and the boxes were greyed out.
I am just trying to re adjust and what i should have done in the first place: make 2 new profiles.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
it could be that CCC profiles are buggy, seems that a lot of times the clocks/timing do not want to register properly, i noticed having to jump back and forth between profiles and trying to hit the default button too... oh well it seems like its a driver issue

i just cant wait for new drivers :/

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
every one is saying the same thing. to hurry and get out more stable drivers.the 10.3 releases did alot to curb the flicker tearing in monitor 2 but it was some kind of quick fix and leaves plenty to be desired. mostly my single screen mode is staying at the very low 157/30mhz by default. i have yet to set a profile when this happens and then back tracing where it gets those numbers and trying to edit the xml. I must have made a small mistake, and i am pretty sure i know where and it is still way too complicated for me to fathom to troubleshoot my error. i know what and where but cant figure how to undo it so i deleted the offending profiles. i didnt match something up properly , i made copies of originals and edited the copies but i made a mistake and saved an incomplete edit and dont know which one because instead of doing things one at a time i was all over the place and saved one i should have deleted and cant remember which one i would have to check everysingle keystroke and every character i put in in order to find which is out of place. i messed up a group or feature somewhere and htat is about all i did wrong but it was enough to make the sound a little off i think maybe it is not too tolerant of edits either. i went beyond just changing numbers for clock time or speed. i should have kept it much simpler. i did one that was just fine though.
I did find that even if i put 600000, 600000 850000 for the 0, 1, 2 wants it still will run at 400. the 1200mhz is 1200 for the 120000 want it works out ok . i have not messed around with other values since i am happy with the 400core clock, and i am always using 2 monitors now. never get any tearing, no flicker at all on the 2 monitor. can have its own profile totally different from the primary monitor though they are different sizes and different resolutions. the 26" (25.5") is at 1900 x1200 and the 2nd is 20" at 1680 x1050. it is only distracting some times but can turn it off. if i go to single monitor i may have issues with too low clock settings still. i need to work on that. i have never been able to make it start off at anything other than 157/300 i am only able to have it change and stay at 400/900 after i get some 3d or significant graphics program. at least at 35% gpu use for even a short time then it will stay put unless it goes to a sleep mode and then starts off at the rediculous low numbers.
john

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i found a another glitch with dual monitors, and that is sleep and when having the monitor turn off, what is happening is that computer was waking up fine, but the monitor (LCD pri) would never turn on, and i thought the system was not responding but it was not true system fully functional, just no display.

now here is the thing i dont use my HD tv much, so its off, but its stuck in the profile even if i disable it, seems that the previous drivers didnt have this issue? i had the 10.3a,b and now final 10.3

so whats happening? and how did i fix it? i turned on my hd screen when i had both monitors active (expanded mode) and was able to turn on and off my (LCD) and it turned on

there is more issues, windows thinks my HDMI (HD TV) is primary, while ati lists my LCD as primary

I think this is causing the issue complete mess up.

also the profiles for single display seem to be completely reworked with the 10.3 final? different from the previous, YET when you enable the 2nd display it goes to the old profile that looks familiar... the profiles also fail to switch back and forth at times...

ati needs to fix dual displays more so then there push for eye finity which is BS if you cant get 2 displays to work right and yet brag about 3 displays

so now i need to reinstall drivers, have a profile that has only the single display and then turn on the HD display and create profiles with that as well, the sad part is there is only disable no remove 2nd display i dont know what ATI is thinking

also the clock speeds never seem to go to 157/300 when i hit the default button on the proper screen, instead it jumps to like 400/1200 :eek:

to me, i really cant believe these are final drivers... they are still 10.3a or worse :p IMO

=========update======
there is a trick, spent over 30min, the monitors got mixed up, but the drivers were still not recognize the proper display device, well after a lot of restarts and plunging and unplugging of the displays i got the drivers to match up.

the key is to have the windows and ATI drivers match in the primary and secondary displays, even if they are not how you want but it will work with sleep at least

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I had to do the same thing with getting the profiles to take,same issues with some profiles not catching when i tried to change from one to another for a different task. i have the same darned hdmi issue. i had the case open to change fans around and some other things to add a 3rd hdd and move wires so i thought i would just plug the hdmi in because it was hanging loose behind the tv and back of the case. i had the dual monitors set up as when i shut down so the same thing happened when i rebooted and it detected the hdmi now active it knocked out my #2 monitor and did this because i have the samsung T260HD which is a tv/monitor and it automatically selects the tv as 1 and the monitor as 2. i can not make it (easily) re accept the acer as #2 as long as hdmi is plugged in . it was not like this earlier ,,,i too am at the latest 10.3. when it went to single monitor, bingo , it was at 157/300 again dont see where that profile comes from because i have it set in afterburner and in ccc profile differnent. and i also am getting the default 2 monitor as 400/1200 though i have it set to 850/1200 in one and 600/900 in another. when i watched a blu ray last night it now defaults automatically in powerdvd 10ultra at 400/900 regardless if i pick use application settings or use the ccc profiles which are 850/1200. just last week or maybe 2 weeks ago, i watched blu ray and it made a big difference whether i had the application choose or not and it ran at 850/1200 but would dip to 400/1200 every 5 seconds or so for a part of a second or maybe as long as 2 seconds and stay at 850 for up to 12 seconds. now it is a flat line on the afterburner graph i keep runnning now all the time i also have gpuz always going so i can log that graph too on the speeds as will as the voltage/amps jumps too.
I dont have the time today to do as you said and to try to default the single monitor and make a profile as it is in a busy stage. last time i had a graphics intensive program in the background which brought up the gpu use so it was running at 600/1200 and i quickly started a profile and checked off the boxes in the bottom part and saved the profile while the settings were high. so when i run it single monitor it may start off as 157/300 but it jumps and stays at something higher, higher that i want though 850/1200. so it stays higher all the time now in a single monitor than it will in 2 monitor..it defaults at 400/1200 no matter what profile i use.
i ,too ,wish they would finally get it all fixed instead of fixing one thing and screwing up 3 new ones. i have to stumble over these new mistakes they made when they 'fixed' the filckering issue.
i dont know what the eyefinity really does. dont have time to worry abuot it. but this new hdmi nonsense not letting me use the regular (only) 2nd monitor when it is plugged in.. when i try to disable either 1 or 2 and enable the only other monitor (Acer) it error messages me that i cant because both of 1 &2 are the primary display. how can both 1 &2 be the primary display anyway? it is a contradiction either one is or the other is. but since the tv and monitor are in the same box it will not let me use the acer and since it is not display port i cant do anythng but make a group maybe. i dont want that. so i have to take out the dvi plug or the hdmi plug inorder to use my 2 monitors as extended desktop. cant have both plugs in at the same time. the acer is also on a dvi plug. i have to take off so dont have time to mess with this now but i would like to see how i can get the profiles to be more friendly again.
i would like to hve the single monitor work as well as i have the dual. ( i do not like the 400/1200 but it is better than the 157/300. i am working on getting the dual to default at 400/900 and shoot up to 850/1200 when i use some heavier graphics app. it wont yet. it will go from 400 right ti 850 and throttle u p and down as i mentioned. no flat line but the 1200 is flat. i have a profile which is 400/1000 and it ignores it but does 400/1200 as 2d. it seems to pay no attention to the whole 2d 3d theory. when i am in a game 3d is is always at max. . i cant over clock it because i cant get it stable at default.
get it straight for once ati. it used to be easy to use, always had bugs though but it wasnt so mixed up.
john

Bloodz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I had just made another post about something similiar, but didnt realize until reading this one that it was the OCing.

I recently bought a MSI 5770 Hawk (link below) and was ocing it no problem with my 20.1 inch monitor. Just got a 24 inch today and the screen tearing on the extended desktop was crazy. I am not that technical with the afterburner program and have two questions.

1. Is there any easy way to resolve this or should I just keep it stock

2. If I was to OC what type of performance boost would I really see with 875 to 950ish and 1200 to around 1400ish.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490&Tpk=5770%20hawk

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
its not about o/c you can o/c whatever you want on any card

what the problem seems is the 5000 series have issues with the 2d clock speeds... its not that they are not sufficient but there seems to be some kind of issue that whenever the gpu throttles up in the speeds/clocks from want 0, to want 1 and to want 2 you get tearing

the idle setting is the want 0, want 1 is the middle that is rarely used but i have seen it go there, and want 2 is your 3D performance setting

when creating a profile and going and editing, you will see this or should see, the profiles are buggy at times as been discussed here

i have found that the problem lies mostly with the memory speed throttling, that is i tested lower/higher gpu/core clocks and they did not stop the tearing, it was when i set the memory clocks the same ie want 0 was set to the want 1 memory speed,

this stopped tearing for most apps, when playing video or HD tv, i noticed that video would then jump also to the 3d mode

so in that case i set both want 0 and want 1 memory to be exactly the same as the want 2 (3d memory clocks)

and bam no tearing, of course this creates more heat more power consumption thats why i turn on and off the profiles

at least on the 5870 i noticed that until i set the memory to the stock value of want 1, that is i tried values lower then that for both want 0 and want 1, i still had tearing issues

so the key is each video card will probably seem to be happy with a memory speed that is good enough to alleviate this issue

(in the profile for the 3d setting you can then put your o/c speeds and or use that memory speed, for the apps that cause your video to jump to the 3d speed/clocks)

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
i use afterburner because i can figure it out. it has its companion or its originator program RivaTuner and that can do tons of things but it is too complicated for me but all laid out so it is doable. i just dont like all that tweaking of program things. i am more mechanical the written stuff is difficult. i think the 5770 is pre clocked out of the box. the 5870 runs at 850 and 1200 most are stock like that, a couple of companies sell a model at 875 mhz. and some go way higher. it does no good for me to clock the 5870. it is plenty out of the box-i have the asus. i have boosted it only because i could and i found only that it ran hotter the higher i had it running the hotter it was at idle and heated up easier. i dont want to get into water cooling my gpu and i have all the fans i can fit. i look at gpuz to see how high people got and the high numbers used ice or nitrogen that is not what i want to do. i am not good enough at the games to justify all that and if i can play until it gets too hot that is enough. i do more video work and comvert and copy so i can get it hot for a long time some conversions take a long time and can heat it up and i can control the times it takes and the temps i can get to easily. i do not see much difference. i probably would have just bought the 5970 rather than try to clock this significalntly i can get a small boost with the things i have for cooling so it is fine for me. you never know when something bigger and demanding more horsepower will come out and necessitate more but there is nothing i use that calls for it. other people need all they can get and it is never enough.
i am just trying ot figure out how to keep these new 5800s from taking the idle or "2D" speeds so low. it bothers me that my 4870 can start up some programs quicker and easier and have higher speed. i know that having the default for 2d at 157/300 keeps it running at least 10C cooler at idle but i dont care because mine doesnt run all that hot at 850/1200 and the fan is not audible either. i wish the drivers would be less restrictive and forget about the 2d vs 3d paradigm. i can alter the profiles to suit my needs between ccc and afterburner i could run my own and would like the control back as it is in the 4870. as i said re writing or editing in not easy for me and it takes a long time to try to fix it up and a lot of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.