Candyviper

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I know that the 5870 is supposedto be a really big card and the X2 is supposed to be even larger. I'm going to be building my own rig and I want to know how big of a case I need and what kind of motherboard is best. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money but if i need to I might spring for it. Keep in mind that I am a lowerclassmen in highschool so i dont't have a ton of money. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Use Yahoo or another search engine to read 5870 reviews. Pay attention to the sections entitled "Test Setup" where they list the other components used in the tests. Note the cases that they use and make a list....read the reviews on the cases, see which one you like.

I would start w/ the Antec 1200 and HAF 932. The end of this month, MSI's "Big Bang" MoBo is to be released.....If you don't wait to see what that brings, your choices can range from an Asus Rampage II EXtreme to an ASRock MoBo with about $200 separating the two.
Use Yahoo or another search engine to read 5870 reviews. Pay attention to the sections entitled "Test Setup" where they list the other components used in the tests. Note the cases that they use and make a list....read the reviews on the cases, see which one you like.

I would start w/ the Antec 1200 and HAF 932. The end of this month, MSI's "Big Bang" MoBo is to be released.....If you don't wait to see what that brings, your choices can range from an Asus Rampage II EXtreme to an ASRock MoBo with about $200 separating the two.

Solution

Candyviper

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks a lot guys. I decided to go with the Cooler Master ATCS 840 and i havnt decided on the MOBO yet. Ill take Jack's suggestion and wait for MSI's new one and see what it is like.

If you "don't have a ton of money" then IMO you shouldn't bother waiting for the MSI Big Bang motherboard. It's a very nice MoBo, but not cheap, and of most benefit for people wanting the most of everything and willing to pay extra for features like the Hydra chip which is only useful if you're buying a second graphics card, either now or in the future, and if it's a flop that's a big premium that's wasted. It's not about Bang for the Buck, it's just about getting the most bang regardless of the buck.

Wait if you want, if there's no rush a bunch of prices should drop, but really I doubt this would be a good fit for your needs.

OAbrey

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Another significant factor is when air cooling, the ports need room to breath. 12 inches should be the minimum space for this card. 3d gamerman's video reviews of cases always involves a tape measure. You can freeze frame it and get a quick and dirty measurement of space.