Question 590 Fatboy preventing system from starting

Noble_

Honorable
Oct 30, 2014
Been working on a build for my brother, everything was set up and working with updated drivers for a good few hours, when he said the system crashed after running a game (Hunt: Showdown). Wasn't there to see it, but now after hitting the power, the fans and lights will power on very briefly before going dark again.

Removing the GPU appears to allow the system to work again. I've tried the following:
  • removing and re-attaching the power cables on both ends
  • checking for wires/other parts contacting the card
  • toggling the profile switch on the card
  • swapping card slots
I'm considering updating his motherboard's BIOS, as that seemed to help KittenKisses with their similar issue, however the problem seems to be slightly different, as the system won't even power on long enough to register on the monitor.

I'm pretty much out of ideas, but any suggestions that would help me avoid sending the card back would be appreciated. Here's the part list if it helps.

Noble_

Honorable
Oct 30, 2014
No spare to test it with unfortunately, the one I'm using in my personal build is also a 520W. If it were a PSU issue though, wouldn't the issue have presented itself upon the initial setup? The build ran for a good few hours before this problem occurred. My knowledge of power supplies are limited though. Perhaps I'll look into getting a beefier PSU for the build anyway.

No spare to test it with unfortunately, the one I'm using in my personal build is also a 520W. If it were a PSU issue though, wouldn't the issue have presented itself upon the initial setup? The build ran for a good few hours before this problem occurred. My knowledge of power supplies are limited though. Perhaps I'll look into getting a beefier PSU for the build anyway.
Could be the PSU failed.

I would RMA the GPU before anything.

Noble_

Honorable
Oct 30, 2014
Everything powers on if I remove the GPU, lights and all. I suppose going for the RMA is the best course of action at this point, just wanted to make sure there were no glaring issues before I did that. Don't want to go through the trouble if the next card will have the same problem. If the new card has the same issue, I'll update the post and probably buy a new PSU, if not then hopefully it was just an issue with the card!