5900 to 5950 Ultra - Leadtek owners

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

What improvement in performance do you get with the 5950U BIOS? I keep
thinking of trying this with my Aopen 5900 but I am too chicken to do it!

"Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere> wrote in message

> After lots of experimenting, I've finally found a 5950 Ultra BIOS that
> doesn't break the TV-Out of my Leadtek 5900XT.
>
> Any interested peeps, take a look at
> http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?p=1119536#post1119536
>
> (There's a bunch of other BIOSs listed too, including my collection, if
> anyone else fancies some experimenting)

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

GTS wrote:
> What improvement in performance do you get with the 5950U BIOS?

Well you go from 5900XT performance, to 5950 Ultra performance :)
I've not bothered to do any benchmarking, but the 5900XT clockspeeds are
400/750, and the 5950U clockspeeds are 475/950 - a sizeable jump !

> I keep
> thinking of trying this with my Aopen 5900 but I am too chicken to do
> it!

You have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work, then just flash your old BIOS
back.
Use "WFFLASH.EXE S" to save your existing BIOS (it saves as SAVEOLD.ROM -
rename the file straight away, and put it somewhere safe - it gets
overwritten each time you flash !)

Then "WFFLASH.EXE NM BIOS.ROM" to flash the new BIOS. I must have flashed
mine 30 times when I was testing them all out, and every single flash went
just fine.

Worst case scenario is that your card won't boot after flashing. In which
case, just slap a PCI graphics card in aswell, boot to it, and flash your
old BIOS back from there.

> "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere> wrote in message
>>
>> After lots of experimenting, I've finally found a 5950 Ultra BIOS
>> that doesn't break the TV-Out of my Leadtek 5900XT.
>>
>> Any interested peeps, take a look at

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?p=1119536#post1119536

>> (There's a bunch of other BIOSs listed too, including my collection,
>> if anyone else fancies some experimenting)

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

OK thanks for the info. P.S. I don't have an XT - I have the original 5900
which is clocked at 400/850 and using the Nvidia auto-overclock feature I
get 450/970 stable so still not sure I will see much difference...
BTW even with this overclock I see no difference in, say, games like Far
Cry - the FPS stays exactly the same. But I think using the Nvidia
auto-overclock it alters the speed based on temp etc? Not sure though.

> GTS wrote:
> > What improvement in performance do you get with the 5950U BIOS?
>
> Well you go from 5900XT performance, to 5950 Ultra performance :)
> I've not bothered to do any benchmarking, but the 5900XT clockspeeds are
> 400/750, and the 5950U clockspeeds are 475/950 - a sizeable jump !
>
> > I keep
> > thinking of trying this with my Aopen 5900 but I am too chicken to do
> > it!
>
> You have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work, then just flash your old
BIOS
> back.
> Use "WFFLASH.EXE S" to save your existing BIOS (it saves as SAVEOLD.ROM -
> rename the file straight away, and put it somewhere safe - it gets
> overwritten each time you flash !)
>
> Then "WFFLASH.EXE NM BIOS.ROM" to flash the new BIOS. I must have flashed
> mine 30 times when I was testing them all out, and every single flash went
> just fine.
>
> Worst case scenario is that your card won't boot after flashing. In which
> case, just slap a PCI graphics card in aswell, boot to it, and flash your
> old BIOS back from there.
>
> > "Nom" <Nom@Somewhere.Somewhere> wrote in message
> >>
> >> After lots of experimenting, I've finally found a 5950 Ultra BIOS
> >> that doesn't break the TV-Out of my Leadtek 5900XT.
> >>
> >> Any interested peeps, take a look at
> >>
> http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?p=1119536#post1119536
> >>
> >> (There's a bunch of other BIOSs listed too, including my collection,
> >> if anyone else fancies some experimenting)

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Another idea I've read, for those without PCI video, is to create a boot
floppy that automatically runs the flash program and contains the original
BIOS, in case it goes pear-shaped!

GTS wrote:
> OK thanks for the info. P.S. I don't have an XT - I have the original
> 5900 which is clocked at 400/850 and using the Nvidia auto-overclock
> feature I get 450/970 stable so still not sure I will see much
> difference...

You will be able to go a lot higher than that with the 5950U BIOS. It raises
the cards core voltage by 0.1v and backs off the memory-timings very
slightly - you'll probably be able to get well over 520/1040 with your card
!
It also speeds up the fan slightly, so your actual card temp usually drops !

> BTW even with this overclock I see no difference in, say, games like
> Far Cry - the FPS stays exactly the same. But I think using the Nvidia
> auto-overclock it alters the speed based on temp etc? Not sure though.

I don't have any concrete information on the Auto Overclock I'm afraid.

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

GTS wrote:
> Another idea I've read, for those without PCI video, is to create a
> boot floppy that automatically runs the flash program and contains
> the original BIOS, in case it goes pear-shaped!

Not sure if you'll be able to actually boot the system without a PCI GFX
card inplace, if your AGP card is pooped ?
Any old PCI card will do though - just pick one up from eBay for £1 :)

Go on - give yours a go ! I'm very happy with mine :)

> GTS wrote:
>
> Not sure if you'll be able to actually boot the system without a PCI GFX
> card inplace, if your AGP card is pooped ?
> Any old PCI card will do though - just pick one up from eBay for £1 :)
>
> Go on - give yours a go ! I'm very happy with mine :)

Flashing the nvidia BIOS, you do not need to see anything to be able to
flash it ROM as long as the batch file on the floppy is correct.

CapFusion,...