5900 Ultra vs. ATI 9700 Pro & FS 2004

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I currently have an ATI 9700 Pro being powered by an AMD XP 2200 processor. My current game of choice is Flight Sim 2004. I'm looking to upgrade a component to get some more FPS out of FS 2004. Anyone know if I'll see an good improvement by swaping out the ATI 9700 Pro and replacing it with an nVidia 5900 Ultra -- keeping in mind I stay with my current processor?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Why not get a new processor instead? I would think that would provide a bigger boost. I don't know about Flight Simulator 2004, but with Flight Sims, usually the CPU is the bottleneck.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Holy crap, are you kidding dude?

Get a clue.

A 9700 Pro is an extremely good card, not too far behind the FX5900.

Have you actually tried playing the game yet?

Its not that graphically intensive of a game, you'll be able to play it just fine at 1024x768 MAX detail with 8x aniso and 4xAA. If thats not good enough for you, then, well... You're a dumbass.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's what I'm hoping someone will know for sure, is FS 2004 CPU challenged or graphics card challenged, or both. Which one will provide the most noticeable frame rate increase.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Don't call me Lee you son of a bitch, you don't know me worth sh*t. I'll 'play' wherever the hell I want to.

Call me Willamette, or WS, or OC (The_OC_King = my gaming name), but not my real name. THATS WHY THERES USERNAMES!!!
USE THEM!

BTW its not cpu or video card 'challenged' ok? I think the word you're looking for is 'limited', and whichever it is, it dosn't invalidate my point, which is, a 9700 Pro and an XP2200 is MORE THAN ENOUGH to run that game at a high resolution and high detail settings.

Upgrading your cpu/mobo/ram platform now wouldn't be a bad idea, but isn't neccessary for this game. I don't think a single person in this forum would recommend you to upgrade your graphics card though. Wait untill the next generation of cards.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I Agree with Will (way to not take any sh*t!!). I have it running on an AMD 2500+ 1gig DDR333 and ATi 9600 Pro and I can get in the mid-40's (FPS) at 1280x1024 2x/8x max settings. The 9700Pro would beat the hell out of my scores. Check out my FS2004 post here in the forum for more numbers.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
Lol, for someone who deals out alot of sh*t and smack talk, he (being Lee or WS or whatever) sure takes someone using his real name personally. If ya don't want people knowing your name don't put it in your profile...it's that simple.
But seriously, why would "WS" call the guy a dumbass just because he asked for some feedback on a video card?

<font color=red> "It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." - Sir Winston Churchill </font color=red>

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
because he has a chip on his shoulder, is stressed about something, has a complex, doesnt like his name or is just a knob...I dont know - I really dont see the justification in flying off the hook like that, why not just not reply to the post instead???

In relation to the actual thread subject I would say be happy with your current set up. A 9800pro or 5900Ultra will give a performance increase but nowhere near enough to justify their prices. Thats my two pence worth.

<i>"We have always been here." - Ambassador Koch, Babylon 5
--------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 1Gb RAM, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
oops slight error on re: line due to lack of sleep, no doubt i will get flamed by someone...yawn, whatever.

<i>"We have always been here." - Ambassador Koch, Babylon 5
--------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 1Gb RAM, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
*shrug*

<font color=red> "It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." - Sir Winston Churchill </font color=red>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Read closely. I did not call him a dumbass. I told him what he could expect out of his system for that particular game. THEN I told him if that wasnt good enough for him, then he was a dumbass.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
If the guys doesn't want you to use his name, why shouldn't you respect that? My name is Tom, but I still expect to be called Daddywags, daddy, wags, or just DDW. Now I won't get upset if you call me Tom, but we do have usernames for a reason.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
man WS..... u need to chill out.... or u'll end up like GW.....

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Willamette_Sucks Laugh on that one trying to chill him out is like saying hitler wasen't around in 1942.and he never makes a mistake by calling people names,but he has away to covers it up with once he does.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
ur like one of those kids that has everything but still ask for more "mommy R9700pro is not good enought i want more!!"

120% nVidia Fanboy

GW, didn't end up like anything, he's just busy looking for a place. Don't worry he'll be back to chew the nOObs when he's settled (and likely has Broadband). And I'll bookmark this to show him if you don't pay me $2,000 in unmarked Monopoly Money!

Send to: Slay the Children Fund c/o <i>Grave</i>Ape.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

eden

Champion
Hi Tom :smile:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:
PS: New sexy users' sites now added! :smile:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
WASSSAP TOM!!

120% nVidia Fanboy

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
See, you guys calling me by my real name wouldn't bother me, but some my wise and beautiful friend ass n00b who dosn't know me worth sh*t or even what hes talking about, and then tries to insult me (using my real name), that I just don't like.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nOOB -- oh ghetto lingo -- so you can't communicate like normal people and have some serious insecurity issues.

It is sad to see no one moderating Tom's site, it really has become less and less and less of a resource.

Lee (WS), I don't need to know you, you spread yourself everywhere and anywhere for ALL to see -- you're an open book -- and a boring one at that.

For those of you that responded with intelligence beyond the 2nd grade, thank you for your help and assistance. ATI Cat 3.6 drivers are having some other issues with FS2004, so I may just opt for the nVidia 5900 Ultra. Tried a few "leaked" drivers for ATI card, but none have resolved the FS2004 (even going back to the Cat 3.5 drivers).

We don't need no stinking moderators! :evil:
Personally I think the 'colour' keeps the people here. Those with the knowledge aren't going to stay for 'ati vs NV' and '4x vs 8X' AGP threads.
You want DATA go look for it, it's out there, you want a comunity that laughs, bickers and brawls; then that's what you got. A mod will kill this forum, and I'd say the forum is as much of a resource as ever do you think a MOD would've ALLOWED us to criticize the Buyers' Guide? I doubt it.

Your problem sounds more like a user issue. I haven't seen much talk of problems with FS2004 at Rage3D, so I'd like to see a post/link to these known issues you speak of. I think you'd be much better off with a CPU upgrade, and THEN a card upgrade (when the better cards come out) your switch to a new card now seems pretty naive considering that the better cards (NV38, R360) are due out in a a month or so.

<b>Pox</b>, considering the value of your posts so far, I'd vote you out if it came time to start banning users. And the last person who should talk about who should be banned is a 'stranger' nOOb!

If you've got a problem with a user it's simple, reply with a GOOD rebutal <i>or</i> Don't Reply to/Read their Posts and then STFU!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Hey Lee~~~~ LOL

and Venom you poor little Baby, is your Crappy 9700pro not running FS2004?? OH NO~~~~~~ (shakes head)

120% nVidia Fanboy

Pox

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
The primitive Ape doesn't like 2GB of memory, it makes him have a temper tantrum.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pox on 08/03/03 07:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Well once again contributing a whole lot of pox,and very little info, you live up to your name. I guess if you have nothing to say, say it with as much flair as you can muster (which obviously is very little in your case). You offer the same tired 'loser' comment. OOooohh Creative, Inspired even! Oh wait I mean Unoriginal, INSIPID even!
So far your only contribution since joining is a BS call for a MOD. Would this same mod KICK/BAN you for your comments, I think so.
Pretty lame if you can't even follow your own trite request for decorum. If the above was meant to be some kind of stellar rebutal, to describe why a mod would allow your brilliance to shine in aiding V8NOM I'd say you've failed miserably because I don't see anything of substance other than a childish whine for a virtual mommy to protect your vigin eyes from the bad man and his big bad words that scar your tender flesh.

Don't worry little man WS can't hurt you, or is your psyche THAT fragile, after all it's just words.

TRENDING THREADS