Question 5900x and watercooling

Title says it all. Just got a new Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 240mm and got it installed. Previously always did air cooling and would use full fan speed all the time for the CPU. Obviously doing that on watercooling is probably not good for the pump. What setting do you use in bios for the cpu fan? Standard? I have it set on Performance mode at the moment.

I think standard is the least aggressive, then performance, then full speed. For reference the board is an AsRock AB350 pro 4.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Previously always did air cooling and would use full fan speed all the time for the CPU. Obviously doing that on watercooling is probably not good for the pump.
Don't worry too much about that. Both are mechanical devices designed around a constant 100% operation. Besides, a steady fan curve is easier on the motor than an often changing one.

They have a finite lifespan, where one of the 2 has multiple ways to die(ignoring external forces).
Fan: mechanical.
Pump: mechanical, chemical(galvanic corrosion), and biological(algae and other organics). The last 2 will progress once the inhibitor and biocide in the coolant expires.

Title says it all. Just got a new Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 240mm and got it installed. Previously always did air cooling and would use full fan speed all the time for the CPU. Obviously doing that on watercooling is probably not good for the pump. What setting do you use in bios for the cpu fan? Standard? I have it set on Performance mode at the moment.

I think standard is the least aggressive, then performance, then full speed. For reference the board is an AsRock AB350 pro 4.
Pump on that AIO is made to run full speed no matter where and how it's connected and should run full speed as it's not adjustable anyway. Radiator fans are classical type, PWM adjustable. It's fine to connect them all together to CPU_FAN header and set a curve in BIOS to control speed.
Cooler has 6 years warranty.

Really. So if I wanted to set it to full speed then all that does cause the fans to run full speed and the pump is running full bore all the time anyway? If that’s the case that’s good to know because I’ve got 4 extra fans counting the 2 I removed last night, so if the fans die then I can simply swap them.

Here’s where I got the cooler.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3540468814...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Overall I’d say that was an excellent deal. Although if someone needs a cooler and does not care about rgb, this version is only 45 bucks and about 10 in shipping for a nice watercooler.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3541065454...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Overall review.

Pros

-Great cooler
-Seems to keep the 5900x under 80 during cinebench r23 and Intel burn test
-A lot cooler when doing things like gaming than coolers like the wraith prism or vetroo v5 and similar systems
-Looks nice in the case
-rgb that plugs into your motherboard and should be controllable via bios settings, in my case at least

Cons

-installation-installation was actually easy once I realized what was what
-no revision number marked on box
-no instructions in the box whatsoever

Basically if you buy one of these via eBay from their bstock, if you are a newbie to water cooling you may spend extra time hunting parts and instructions. Case in point, there are apparently about 4 revisions of this cooler. When I was looking, of course the instructions I found were for revision 4. The parts were different, so as I started researching I thought that maybe it was revision 1. However after looking through the parts, the parts I had didn’t didn’t match that revision either. I finally found guides for either revision 2 or 3 and was able to match up parts I had. Once i matched the manual I found online to the proper revision I was able to get it installed. However had there been instructions in the box then I likely wouldn’t have had to spend as much time tracking things down. Fortunately for me I’m a tech, so even though I’ve never messed a lot with watercooling once I got going it was pretty easy to get set. But for anyone needing a good cooler definitely a deal.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In their out of box configurations, the LF IIs have their fans and pump managed by a single PWM splitter, so whatever % the master runs at, the slave does the same in %.
They are not the same. To avoid this, users must plug the pump into a different header from the fans. Unfortunately(?), the fan cables are short and set up to run through the braided tubing for a cleaner look.
Without cable extensions, the fans and pump can't be run on separate curves.

Really. So if I wanted to set it to full speed then all that does cause the fans to run full speed and the pump is running full bore all the time anyway? If that’s the case that’s good to know because I’ve got 4 extra fans counting the 2 I removed last night, so if the fans die then I can simply swap them.

Here’s where I got the cooler.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3540468814...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Overall I’d say that was an excellent deal. Although if someone needs a cooler and does not care about rgb, this version is only 45 bucks and about 10 in shipping for a nice watercooler.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3541065454...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Overall review.

Pros

-Great cooler
-Seems to keep the 5900x under 80 during cinebench r23 and Intel burn test
-A lot cooler when doing things like gaming than coolers like the wraith prism or vetroo v5 and similar systems
-Looks nice in the case
-rgb that plugs into your motherboard and should be controllable via bios settings, in my case at least

Cons

-installation-installation was actually easy once I realized what was what
-no revision number marked on box
-no instructions in the box whatsoever

Basically if you buy one of these via eBay from their bstock, if you are a newbie to water cooling you may spend extra time hunting parts and instructions. Case in point, there are apparently about 4 revisions of this cooler. When I was looking, of course the instructions I found were for revision 4. The parts were different, so as I started researching I thought that maybe it was revision 1. However after looking through the parts, the parts I had didn’t didn’t match that revision either. I finally found guides for either revision 2 or 3 and was able to match up parts I had. Once i matched the manual I found online to the proper revision I was able to get it installed. However had there been instructions in the box then I likely wouldn’t have had to spend as much time tracking things down. Fortunately for me I’m a tech, so even though I’ve never messed a lot with watercooling once I got going it was pretty easy to get set. But for anyone needing a good cooler definitely a deal.
With I believe version 3, mounting was changed from 4 screws going right thru to back plate to a bracket that screws to backplate and 4 studs with knobbed nuts to fasten pump to, much easier to (re)mount. Bracket is also with two sets of holes of which one set is to mount pump with slight offset to center it better over 5000 series Ryzen cores. That alone lowered my temps by an average of 5c.

That seems to be the version I have. Where I got off track was that a lot of instructions I came across at first were for version 4. When I didn’t have the correct parts I started looking. Instructions online showed where to find a revision number, I looked and didn’t see a revision number on the box, and the instructions said if you didn’t see one to use instructions for version 1. Well I didn’t have the correct parts for that either. So I finally looked up stuff for version 2, not the right parts, then version 3 and my stuff matched. Once I realized that I was able to get it installed without much issue but as you might imagine I had to spend a bit of time trying to track down to see what parts I had or didn’t have before I could figure out the revision since they did not have paper instructions in the box.

Reactions: CountMike