Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
Specs:
rog strix b550-F
ryzen 9 5900x
1660ti
32gb ram

i’ve had my system running for a few months now and i was wondering if it’s normal for a ryzen 5900x to automatically be changing voltage or clock speed? i haven’t changed any bios settings for the cpu and i’ve been wondering about it for a while but can’t seem to find anything about it automatically overclocking or messing with the voltage/speeds itself out of the box? just wondering why it’s doing it and if it is needed?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes it's pretty normal for the auto OC, they will boost as high as possible to serve the thread being served as per need and more power needs more voltage so auto throttle are inbuilt into the Ryzens. You can however limit the boost to maintain a cooler cpu under optimal boost conditions by undervolting it in either bios or using AMD's own desktop app Ryzen Master.

I have set my 5900x all cores for 4.5ghz @ 1.28v so cpu stays cooler across the boost. The volt parameter is a trial and error so it can be different for your cpu, but basically you increment the value by 0.1v at a given Ghz until you achieve a stable system. You can check out some predefined config profiles in Ryzen Master. The basic idea is to get the same performance at...

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
Yes it's pretty normal for the auto OC, they will boost as high as possible to serve the thread being served as per need and more power needs more voltage so auto throttle are inbuilt into the Ryzens. You can however limit the boost to maintain a cooler cpu under optimal boost conditions by undervolting it in either bios or using AMD's own desktop app Ryzen Master.

I have set my 5900x all cores for 4.5ghz @ 1.28v so cpu stays cooler across the boost. The volt parameter is a trial and error so it can be different for your cpu, but basically you increment the value by 0.1v at a given Ghz until you achieve a stable system. You can check out some predefined config profiles in Ryzen Master. The basic idea is to get the same performance at a lesser power draw and hence overall better temps across the boards staying cool.

Reactions: MeanMachine41
Solution

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021

I have set my 5900x all cores for 4.5ghz @ 1.28v so cpu stays cooler across the boost. The volt parameter is a trial and error so it can be different for your cpu, but basically you increment the value by 0.1v at a given Ghz until you achieve a stable system. You can check out some predefined config profiles in Ryzen Master. The basic idea is to get the same performance at a lesser power draw and hence overall better temps across the boards staying cool.

So the auto oc isn’t something that voids warranty and is just out of the box?

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
No problems with warranty unless you overheat it. Auto OC/boost is built into CPU and is normal and planned for in all new CPUs.

Good to hear, i’ve just booted and had a look, currently sitting at 4.5GHz @1.25v and it’s running smooth and a lot cooler, i’m not sure if i can go any higher/lower though

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
"Real" OC would be if you set it manually to run over default boost of 4.8GHz. at 4.5 it's pretty mild.

I’ve never seen mine near 4.8GHz, like i say i was running completely stock out of the box and it was running around 4.4 @ 1.4v, should it have been running higher or something?

I’ve never seen mine near 4.8GHz, like i say i was running completely stock out of the box and it was running around 4.4 @ 1.4v, should it have been running higher or something?
Instead of OC-ing even on auto OC, just enable boost and eventually PBO(2). that would let CPU run at low voltages and frequency and boost on at least one core to 4.8GHz when needed. At same time and when SW needs is other cores should run up to 4.5GHz, That should give you better Performance, specially with single core than all core 4.4GHz OC.

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
Instead of OC-ing even on auto OC, just enable boost and eventually PBO(2). that would let CPU run at low voltages and frequency and boost on at least one core to 4.8GHz when needed. At same time and when SW needs is other cores should run up to 4.5GHz, That should give you better Performance, specially with single core than all core 4.4GHz OC.
4.4GHz isn’t oc’d at all that’s just default settings, how would i go about enabling boost?

4.4GHz isn’t oc’d at all that’s just default settings, how would i go about enabling boost?
Default settings are with clocks and voltage on auto. That's probably best for 5900x. With good cooling (what cooler are you using?) it should boost to rated max clocks of 4.8Ghz, or even over them at times, on light loads. On heavier loads expect it to fall a lot...if cooling is poor maybe down to 3.7Ghz, it's rated clock speed.

If you want to get better boosting, and for longer, then use PBO with a slight undervolt using Curve Optimizer. But you really need good cooling to get the most out of this.

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
My Ryzen used to autoboost to 4.9Ghz and a few 100mhz values above as-well at out of the factory stock setting. I have Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 aio. Each motherboard's brand bios is different so you have to be specific which one. Either way, a quick Google will give you a lot of results and tips and how-tos on undervolting and PBO2. If you want to do it the easiest way, then use Ryzen Master except you have to set it up each time you boot into Windows.i.e, save your settings as one of the profiles and apply it every time you start up.

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
Default settings are with clocks and voltage on auto. That's probably best for 5900x. With good cooling (what cooler are you using?) it should boost to rated max clocks of 4.8Ghz, or even over them at times, on light loads. On heavier loads expect it to fall a lot...if cooling is poor maybe down to 3.7Ghz, it's rated clock speed.

If you want to get better boosting, and for longer, then use PBO with a slight undervolt using Curve Optimizer. But you really need good cooling to get the most out of this.
(Asus ROG Strix bios btw)

i’ve got a corsair H150i XT which cools pretty well, with the stock setting (no boost) it usually sits around 40 degrees idle, when i changed it to 4.5GHz @ 1.3v it was idle at 29°c

I’m currently running stock settings again with pbo in r32 single core and reaching 4.9GHz occasionally but the voltage is at 1.49 which is bad i believe

this is with pbo enabled and 200 boost in my earlier posts i wasn’t looking at individual speeds but rather the average so while it was sitting at 4.4 all core, when running single it seems to be pushing 4.8-9GHz

I’m currently running stock settings again with pbo in r32 single core and reaching 4.9GHz occasionally but the voltage is at 1.49 which is bad i believe

this is with pbo enabled and 200 boost in my earlier posts i wasn’t looking at individual speeds but rather the average so while it was sitting at 4.4 all core, when running single it seems to be pushing 4.8-9GHz

1.49V is right at the top limit AMD has told us to expect when it boosts in light bursty loads when temps are low and therefore it's safe. It's only for very short spike at the boost itself, look at AVERAGE SVI2 Vcore across time to get a better picture of what it's seeing.

My 5800X will get one or two spikes up to 1.506-1.513V right after startup. I don't know why, but it rarely gets above 1.484 after that. And it only does it on light bursty loads. I suspect it might have something to do with Windows loading it's power management and processor load scheduler, just a guess. Average SVI2 runs around 1.28-1.3V.

There's lots of misunderstanding about voltage. Within reason voltage doesn't kill a CPU it's current and temperature that does. Voltage is just a knob to turn to lower current and temperature at heavy processing loads and that's what the algorithm does if it's left alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bxzza
couldn’t find the sv12 you were talking about, i’m just wondering now if idle i should be sitting at around 1.49v?
If you have HWINF64 look in the sensors screen. The sensor is call CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN).

It's really dynamic, so constantly changing. At idle it's changing the most wildly, going from low to high with occasional spikes. You can watch in a graph over time...click on a sensor and show graph. Also look at the AVERAGE column.

During a benchmark it will pull back...way, way back in something like Cinebench. Maybe to 1.25-1.3V or less, it still varies quite a bit but over a much narrower range. It has to pulls back because that's when the CPU is getting hot with high current and lowering voltage helps keep it cooler. But that also means pulling back the clocks it will run at.

Last edited:

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
If you have HWINF64 look in the sensors screen. The sensor is call CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN).

It's really dynamic, so constantly changing. At idle it's changing the most wildly, going from low to high with occasional spikes. You can watch in a graph over time...click on a sensor and show graph. Also look at the AVERAGE column.

During a benchmark it will pull back...way, way back in something like Cinebench. Maybe to 1.25-1.3V or less, it still varies quite a bit but over a much narrower range. It has to pulls back because that's when the CPU is getting hot with high current and lowering voltage helps keep it cooler. But that also means pulling back the clocks it will run at.

I’ve went back to just the stock settings which runs at roughly 4.5 GHz @1.2v Multi Core and 4.9GHz @ 1.45v Single Core

i think i’m just gonna leave it stock since it’s never actually had any problems, i was more so just curious about why it was naturally ‘oc’d’ but turns out that’s just the way the chip is, i appreciate the support and recommendations anyways guys!

Reactions: drea.drechsler