[SOLVED] 5900x High Idle temps

Apr 4, 2020
I had intel before i got this 5900x. A i9900k at 5.0ghz and my temps idle where 38c-41c when running tasks. The only game i got super high temps was battlefield 5 which was around 66-69c. Currently with my 5900x I'm at 41c-58c. It jumps around while I'm watching twitch or YouTube or just surfing the web. When I run cinebenchr20 i get a score around 8130-8553 and hit around 65c. The only game i get crazy temps is battlefield and it sits around 70c-81c and I'm just not used to such high temps. XMP is enabled. I did a full windows install cause i thought i did something and was worried the temps were so high and when i updated the chipset drivers my temps went up by 5c-10c so i just reformatted. I never had an amd chipset but was just wondering if this is normal? I mean all my games run pretty amazing just wondering if temps are ok or am i doing something wrong? Thank to whoever responds
Here are my specs
5900x
3080 suprimX
b550 asus rog e
32gb corsair 3600mhz ddr4 CL18
samsung evo 2x 1tb
Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler 280mm
4 ll120 corsair fans and 2 ll140 fans.

Solution
Sounds good. Guess i need to just make sure im not looking at temps every 2 seconds lol

I understand how tempting it is. Here's a thermal compound that can bring temps down a lot. I have not tried. It's electrically conductive, so must be careful when applying. I think it's safer for desktop pc since it doesn't move and shake like laptop. So I read reviews that people use nail polish to cover electric parts for protection. But as for desktop pc, it's less dangerous. Also some users delid their cpu for it, which again for new AMD processors delidding is not necessary because IHS is soldiered.
anyway, if you want to overclock or see huge temp drop, this is the holy grail:

link to amazon

another link

they take...

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I had intel before i got this 5900x. A i9900k at 5.0ghz and my temps idle where 38c-41c when running tasks. The only game i got super high temps was battlefield 5 which was around 66-69c. Currently with my 5900x I'm at 41c-58c. It jumps around while I'm watching twitch or YouTube or just surfing the web. When I run cinebenchr20 i get a score around 8130-8553 and hit around 65c. The only game i get crazy temps is battlefield and it sits around 70c-81c and I'm just not used to such high temps. XMP is enabled. I did a full windows install cause i thought i did something and was worried the temps were so high and when i updated the chipset drivers my temps went up by 5c-10c so i just reformatted. I never had an amd chipset but was just wondering if this is normal? I mean all my games run pretty amazing just wondering if temps are ok or am i doing something wrong? Thank to whoever responds
Here are my specs

Cinebench R20 for 5900x must be 8468

yes, your temps are ok.
how come you got higher temp in battlefield than in cinebench!

Reactions: RodroX and Sekcmexi
Apr 4, 2020
btw, you should use Ryzen Master to take cpu temps with this processor:
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
i have no idea honeslty. It's not always at 80 but there's some areas where i hit 80 and 81 and im just god damn. i reseated the cpu coler like 4 times cause i was worried. games like wow,valorant and csgo i get like high 60's which i can live with. as for the ryzen master the temps where so off compared to hwinfo,core temp and it keps change my cpu to OC and weird stuff so i just didnt use it. I saw a couple of youtubers with 59c on battlefield and im just like why cant i do that =D

Apr 4, 2020
Yea i was just hoping i had better answers. Have some people that run the same set up and they get like 20c less then i do so im just like double u t eef mate! but Thank you to everyone that answered! appreciate it!

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Yea i was just hoping i had better answers. Have some people that run the same set up and they get like 20c less then i do so im just like double u t eef mate! but Thank you to everyone that answered! appreciate it!

they got lower temps with HWmonitor or Ryzen master.
your temps look summerish, but if from hwinfo, then c'est la vie, 19 billion transistors can't get colder than that.

here they stressed 5900x and got 67. you got 65 with cinebench alors pourquoi tu es triste?
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/20.html

Apr 4, 2020
Ryzen master i had to uninstall. <Mod Edit> was just buggy for me only think thats weird is when i use msi after burner with HWinfo the temps are always -10 from other program readings. I just did another cinebenchr20 (about 13 runs) highest i got was 66c.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Ryzen master i had to uninstall. <Mod Edit> was just buggy for me only think thats weird is when i use msi after burner with HWinfo the temps are always -10 from other program readings. I just did another cinebenchr20 (about 13 runs) highest i got was 66c.

That's really good, I did cinebench now and reached 67c my cpu is 125w. weather -5, room 14

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Sounds good. Guess i need to just make sure im not looking at temps every 2 seconds lol

I understand how tempting it is. Here's a thermal compound that can bring temps down a lot. I have not tried. It's electrically conductive, so must be careful when applying. I think it's safer for desktop pc since it doesn't move and shake like laptop. So I read reviews that people use nail polish to cover electric parts for protection. But as for desktop pc, it's less dangerous. Also some users delid their cpu for it, which again for new AMD processors delidding is not necessary because IHS is soldiered.
anyway, if you want to overclock or see huge temp drop, this is the holy grail:

link to amazon

another link

they take heat from cpu to heatsink at least 5 times better than best non-metal pastes. that should make your fans calm down to waddling their blades playfully.
you may consider that if your summer temps are high or want to overclock. as for now, you're fine. it's a bit expensive and there's some risk.

Solution
For me the best monitor out there (today) is hwinfo64 portable (-Sensors Only- option).

And as others wrote already your temps, for a 280mm radiator, are ok.

Keep in mind that the 5900X has 12 cores / 24 threads, While the i9 9900k only had 8 cores / 16 threads.

If the cooler is well mounted and you have a good allocation of case fans then you should be fine.

Reactions: LeiHeJun