Question 5900x high temp on x570 MSI tomahawk

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Hello. I am experiencing some pretty volatile temperatures on my CPU according to MSI Afterburner, where it often shows 50-60 degrees while I'm just using Google Chrome. I have downloaded both HWMonitor and HWiNFO64. I suspect that Afterburner is reacting to the wrong sensor, which seems to be called "tmpi7", but I know next to nothing about this stuff. Hoping someone on here might be able to shine some light on it.
Here are screen shots from HWMonitor and HWiNFO64:
Skjermbilde-2021-10-29-212601.png

Skjermbilde-2021-10-29-214921.png

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just use hwinfo. The CPU (Tctl/Tdie) is the one you want to draw the most attention to.
Ignore Afterburner's cpu reading, or better yet, remove it from the on screen HUD in settings.
Uninstall HW Monitor. Most of those readings under Temperatures are motherboard sensors, which users will confuse for core temperatures.

Reactions: buzz_buzz

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Hello again forum people! I'm here again because my CPU temperatures has gotten worse lately, and I can often hear a blowing kind of sound in whistling kind of way from my headset when the temperatures gets hot (75c+). The whistling is also new.
My build is the following:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jolieber/saved/#view=dWdMVn

I have one exhaust fan behind, one in front at the bottom and one at the bottom cosest to the front. My GPU is placed as close to the PSU as possible to give the best air flow to the PS. This is new to make the temps better, but didn't work at all, before my GPU was higher up, closer to the CPU.
I run on default CPU settings with no modifications, no undervolding, no overclocking etc.
When I play Civilization 4 my temps used to be in the mid 60's at most, now they jump to 80c almost as soon as I load a game.
When I run Total War warhammer 2, the temperature is between 80-90c, sometimes peaking at 95c.
When I play Football manager 2021, temperatures are generally at 70-75c, peaking at around 85c, sometimes even at 90c.
I use HWiNFO64 and Ryzen Master to control temperatures.
The problem persists irrespective of normal indoor temperature changes.
I've cleaned the filter and fans for dust, no effect.
I removed the low noise adaptors to the CPU fans, so the rpm goes from 1200-1500. Also no effect.
I've also removed Windows 11 and re-installed.

I am considering asking a pc repair shop to take a look at my pc, but I first thought I'd post the problem here. I posted another place, where some people suggested software upgrades could be the reason for the change in temperature.

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
I tried undervolting, going into BIOS and turning on curve optimizer with settings all cores, negative and 15, but it actually made the CPU even hotter under stress, as high as 80+ while opening chrome when windows started (the cpu is always at least around 75c+ when logging into windows).

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Here are my temperatures at one moment while starting mod manager for Total war, without any browsers open:
Skjermbilde-2022-07-26-180619.png

The yellow is the Tctl/Tdie sensor, the light blue is the average heat from sensors , the left light green is CCD1 and the right one is CCD2.

Last edited:

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I also turned on PPT limiter and set it to 125W, which also had little effect.

I should also mention that I have two noctua nh-d15 fans on the cooler, not only one as many have.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You should have isolated the guilty fan by disabling one at a time, listening for the sound and removed the imposter. It may be a lemon; stuff happens.

Have you updated anything or installed(knowingly) any software in the time that things started to seem off?

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
You should have isolated the guilty fan by disabling one at a time, listening for the sound and removed the imposter. It may be a lemon; stuff happens.

Have you updated anything or installed(knowingly) any software in the time that things started to seem off?
I will do that. The pc workshop person I talked to said it was probably my headphones, since I had no whistling when connecting to another microphone outlet on my computer. The one where I had the whistling at high CPU (in games only) was on the front of my case.

I do not know of having updated anything knowingly, besides, I have cleaned my disk drive several times, reinstalling Windows on a clean disk.

I've also installed two new 140 mm fans, on on top of the case, at back end, and one in front. This brings me to five 140 mm case fans, three Noctua NF-P14 and two stock fans for R5 Fractal Design. So I've installed new fans, enabled curve optimizer (negative 15) and enabled PPT limit at 125W, but little to no effect on heat from CPU.

Last edited:

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Hello again. I was wondering if someone could help me with finding the best setting in regard to PPT/TDC/EDC limit. At the moment I have set PPT limit to 130W, but the others are set to auto. I have a MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS