[SOLVED] 5900x High temps at idle and in game

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
I am new to the community and just finished my first gaming PC build. With my new build, I am having trouble keeping my Ryzen 5900x at a good temperature. Measuring in HWinfo 64 my CPU Die in game is 90 degrees Celsius and it idles around anywhere between 60-70 sometimes higher. My GPU is a 3080 12gb and its current max is 56 degrees in game. I am using the Arctic Liquid Freezer 240mm which is set to full in the BIOS with both fans running and the small pump head fan turning. I am using the Lian Li Lancool 2 mesh case which comes preinstalled with 3 front fans, and I also added 3 more case fans (two on bottom, one exhaust in the back). This is my first PC build and I am very new to this, but it seems like I should not be having trouble cooling the CPU with the cooler that I have. I also have read that the 5900x tends to run hot. Does anyone know why this is happening? I also have been having a separate issue with my monitors where the right one tends to flicker randomly. No idea if that could be related at all, but thought I should mention it. Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Solution
It's a Ryzen. Intels use a monolithic die, just a single silicon chip in the middle under the cover, so pretty much any paste method works there. Ryzen is different. The 5900x/5950x has 3 chiplets, one on the left and 2 on the right. Because of the size of the chiplets they are shoved right up against the sides and especially into the corners.

This makes most thermal paste applications somewhat iffy, you end up with no guarantee that every bit of the silicon gets a bit of paste above it. What that means is if there are any airgaps, the cores under that stand a good chance of burning out causing irreparable permanent damage.

The only guaranteed method is to use a plastic spatula or credit card and spread a thin layer evenly across...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you remember to remove the protective peeling from under the pump block? Make and model of your motherboard? Please include an image of your build so we can get a bit more context towards your fans orientation. There have been instances were fans being oriented in the wrong order/manner caused bad temps.

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
it really sounds like the cooler pump isn't installed correctly or may have malfunctioned.

how is the cooler mounted; radiator/fan placement & orientation?
blowing out through the radiator?
Fans and radiator up top as an exhaust. The manual says it comes pre installed to be ran through the radiator as exhaust and I did not change it.

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you remember to remove the protective peeling from under the pump block? Make and model of your motherboard? Please include an image of your build so we can get a bit more context towards your fans orientation. There have been instances were fans being oriented in the wrong order/manner caused bad temps.
Thank you!

Here is a picture. I definitely removed the protective peel from the pump block. I used the full tube of thermal paste included also which I found people saying that as long as it isn't leaking into motherboard that it should be fine. (MB is Asus Rog Strix B550-A)

View: https://imgur.com/a/a3QWHNA

Hi Guy's
To me a 240mm Aio is the Bare minimum that I personaly if I had No other options would run on a 5800x up.
I had a Corsair H150i E C on this 5900x and doing a Cbr23 it would top out @ 84-86c then I started playing with the PBO and Curve Optimizer from watching a video on YT I found and it Lowered my temps by 10c running Cbr23.
I suggested it to another Op That was Having high temps and it also Lowered his temps by 10c.
The 5900x runs very warm if left to run Wild.

Here's the link
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvVs_6Sr3wU&list=WL&index=53

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Included thermal paste is only a 1 time use generally, so using the full tube isn't generally an issue since it's not a huge amount.

60-70°C at idle is warm, regardless of cpu, with that cooler it should be closer to high 30's to 40's, especially if it's set for 100% pump/fans. Idle power usage is almost identical in every Ryzen, since they only use a single rotating core, so 5600x or 5950x is the same thing, 1 core worth of load.

Bios revision shouldn't make any difference, 100% manual settings, not any Ai/auto or default settings to introduce variables.

Which leaves 4 possibilities.
  1. You set the windows power plan to performance, which negates true idle, it puts all cores as active at higher clocks than idle, so constantly uses all cores. Ryzen work best on Balanced plans.
  2. Got scared of damaging anything, so really didn't snug down the pump correctly, and that paste is acting more as an insulator than thermal transfer medium.
  3. your room ambient temps are through the roof type warm, far warmer than sitting in an air-conditioned room.
  4. any combination of the above, each one just making things worse.

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
can you feel the block\pump vibrating when in use?
and is there is any noticeable temperature when feeling the tubes?
can you feel the block\pump vibrating when in use?
and is there is any noticeable temperature when feeling the tubes?
I tried feeling the pump and I think it is vibrating but honestly its hard for me to tell. The pump block has a fan that rotates when the pc is on. No noticeable temp when feeling the tubes.

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
Included thermal paste is only a 1 time use generally, so using the full tube isn't generally an issue since it's not a huge amount.

60-70°C at idle is warm, regardless of cpu, with that cooler it should be closer to high 30's to 40's, especially if it's set for 100% pump/fans. Idle power usage is almost identical in every Ryzen, since they only use a single rotating core, so 5600x or 5950x is the same thing, 1 core worth of load.

Bios revision shouldn't make any difference, 100% manual settings, not any Ai/auto or default settings to introduce variables.

Which leaves 4 possibilities.
  1. You set the windows power plan to performance, which negates true idle, it puts all cores as active at higher clocks than idle, so constantly uses all cores. Ryzen work best on Balanced plans.
  2. Got scared of damaging anything, so really didn't snug down the pump correctly, and that paste is acting more as an insulator than thermal transfer medium.
  3. your room ambient temps are through the roof type warm, far warmer than sitting in an air-conditioned room.
  4. any combination of the above, each one just making things worse.

Room is not an issue it is air conditioned. Didn't change windows power plan to performance and I just checked it is set to balanced. I am thinking that option 2 is most likely. I imagine repasting and re-mounting the pump to be sure that isn't the problem is what I should do anyway. Does it matter what thermal paste I should get? Is there a good one that has the exact amount I need or something easy to measure? I watched a lot of videos about how much to use but maybe it was just too much.

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
Hi Guy's
To me a 240mm Aio is the Bare minimum that I personaly if I had No other options would run on a 5800x up.
I had a Corsair H150i E C on this 5900x and doing a Cbr23 it would top out @ 84-86c then I started playing with the PBO and Curve Optimizer from watching a video on YT I found and it Lowered my temps by 10c running Cbr23.
I suggested it to another Op That was Having high temps and it also Lowered his temps by 10c.
The 5900x runs very warm if left to run Wild.

Here's the link
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvVs_6Sr3wU&list=WL&index=53

Thanks for the reply. I am little scared changing things in the BIOS since I am so new to all this and still learning as much as possible. As long as I follow these steps I shouldn't have any risk of messing anything up right? Should this be using his mid-level cooler settings? If I want to overclock one day with MSI Afterburner, would this somehow change that? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I was doing research on overclocking and if it is worth getting into.

For a long time I used Thermaltakes Tg7
Which can be bought a most Best Buy's off the shelf for $8.00 and if in a pinch I will use it again.
When I put the 5900x in with the h150i on it I used the 3 dot method.
1 small dot next to the y.z and 1 next to
e.n (Ryzen) that's on the chip and the 3rd in the center about the size of a pea.
Right now I'm using Noctua's Nt-H1 with this custom loop.
And may give Corsair’s Xtm50 a try again.
( which can also be bought @ Best Buy's but at about $13-14 a tube )

As long as you stay within (reason) close to what he did you will be fine.
But remember the higher you go up with those settings clocks go up but only so far and so does the temps again.
So find which 1 gives you what you feel you want in performance and keeping temps to what you are comfortable with.

As far as using those settings and Asus overclocking utilities Play if safe by not mixing the 2.

As to the Overclocking
Amd has pretty much made Old school Overclocking Days a thing of the past with these Ryzen chips.
Yes you can still do it but you will not get the huge overclocks that was easy to achieve back when.
With Ryzen you gain multicore performance but lose single core performance.

Be very careful in how much voltage you give to these new chips.
Prolonged higher voltage can and will degrade the Cpu.

With this 5900x and those settings from that video I have seen mine hit 5.050ghz on 2 cores while I'm playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

How much More do you Need ? And is it worth a possible shorter lifespan of the Cpu ? When undervolting gets you great performance and lower temps.

P. S. MSI Afterburner is for GPU's.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Ryzen. Intels use a monolithic die, just a single silicon chip in the middle under the cover, so pretty much any paste method works there. Ryzen is different. The 5900x/5950x has 3 chiplets, one on the left and 2 on the right. Because of the size of the chiplets they are shoved right up against the sides and especially into the corners.

This makes most thermal paste applications somewhat iffy, you end up with no guarantee that every bit of the silicon gets a bit of paste above it. What that means is if there are any airgaps, the cores under that stand a good chance of burning out causing irreparable permanent damage.

The only guaranteed method is to use a plastic spatula or credit card and spread a thin layer evenly across the entire surface of the cpu. Doesn't take much, but should be somewhat thin and as even as you can manage.

When installing the pump head, place it down first, with a small wiggle to help settle the paste. Then start all the screws 2-3 turns, only then X pattern in stages, 1-2 turns each screw until close, then 1/2 to 1/4 turns until snugly seated.

Good pressure is important, Even pressure is more important.

Solution

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
For a long time I used Thermaltakes Tg7
Which can be bought a most Best Buy's off the shelf for $8.00 and if in a pinch I will use it again.
When I put the 5900x in with the h150i on it I used the 3 dot method.
1 small dot next to the y.z and 1 next to
e.n (Ryzen) that's on the chip and the 3rd in the center about the size of a pea.
Right now I'm using Noctua's Nt-H1 with this custom loop.
And may give Corsair’s Xtm50 a try again.
( which can also be bought @ Best Buy's but at about $13-14 a tube )

As long as you stay within (reason) close to what he did you will be fine.
But remember the higher you go up with those settings clocks go up but only so far and so does the temps again.
So find which 1 gives you what you feel you want in performance and keeping temps to what you are comfortable with.

As far as using those settings and Asus overclocking utilities Play if safe by not mixing the 2.

As to the Overclocking
Amd has pretty much made Old school Overclocking Days a thing of the past with these Ryzen chips.
Yes you can still do it but you will not get the huge overclocks that was easy to achieve back when.
With Ryzen you gain multicore performance but lose single core performance.

Be very careful in how much voltage you give to these new chips.
Prolonged higher voltage can and will degrade the Cpu.

With this 5900x and those settings from that video I have seen mine hit 5.050ghz on 2 cores while I'm playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

How much More do you Need ? And is it worth a possible shorter lifespan of the Cpu ? When undervolting gets you great performance and lower temps.

P. S. MSI Afterburner is for GPU's.
Ok so I have followed the video directly and it seems nothing has changed. I following his personal settings as well as the mid range cooler settings and as soon as I start the Cinebench multi-core test, my CPU die immediately spikes to 90. It doesn't ever go above 90 and I think it might have helped the idle temps but that is hard to tell. But as soon as I run the test it spikes. Could there be something wrong with my CPU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-No noticeable temp when feeling the tubes.
-as soon as I start the Cinebench multi-core test, my CPU die immediately spikes to 90
-Could there be something wrong with my CPU?
You did do the first one while Cinebench was running, right? IF yes:
Incorrect cooler install, or it is quite possible your 5900X had a poor solder job done.
The die temperature shouldn't be jumping up quite that fast.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022
You did do the first one while Cinebench was running, right? IF yes:
Incorrect cooler install, or it is quite possible your 5900X had a poor solder job done.
The die temperature shouldn't be jumping up quite that fast.
Yes I checked while Cinebench was running. My plan is to re-paste and see if that helps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Make sure to paste correctly, it's a 5900x, so the standard pea blob of paste in the center does not work. The 5900x has 3 chiplets under the hood, spaced out almost to the edges and corners, not a single central pile of cores.

The best method is spreading the paste with a spatula or credit card, get it somewhat thin and even, fully covering the IHS. That leaves nothing to chance, you are guaranteed to get paste upto the edges and in the corners.

dyland2014

Prominent
Aug 4, 2022

The only guaranteed method is to use a plastic spatula or credit card and spread a thin layer evenly across the entire surface of the cpu. Doesn't take much, but should be somewhat thin and as even as you can manage.

When installing the pump head, place it down first, with a small wiggle to help settle the paste. Then start all the screws 2-3 turns, only then X pattern in stages, 1-2 turns each screw until close, then 1/2 to 1/4 turns until snugly seated.

Good pressure is important, Even pressure is more important.
I finally fixed the issue. It seemed like my pump block wasn't making proper contact when I went in to re-paste. I used a thin even layer across the CPU and made sure the pump block was firm with even pressure. My temps are completely under control now. Idle temp is around 30 and full workload it doesn't exceed 65. Thank you everyone so much for all the help with this issue.