[SOLVED] 5900x idling in Chrome at 5% load with temps around 50.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Stock settings in BIOS as well as in all software.

I'm just in Chrome and in Task Manager, it says 5% load. It also shows up my anti virus software and CAM. The thing is, the temps are sitting at 50-60 degrees. I have a Z73 with stock thermal paste.

Specs:

5900X
ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti
Lian Li 011 Dynamic
Bitspower Touchaqua Notos (6 in the case)
NZXT Kraken z73 (stock fans)

Solution
I believe my BIOS version is 3401 and the latest is 3801. Unsure on how to update the BIOS though…
The instructions for updating BIOS using the EZ-Flash 3 update utility are in the manual. Go to Page 3-3. The process using EZ-Flash is very simple, just be sure to extract the BIOS binary file from the distribution archive and put it on a USB flash drive first.

Updating BIOS is a good idea but your temps are fine so there's nothing to be concerned bout. 5900X CPUS are expected to run up to 90C as AMD has made clear:

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/max-safe-temperature-for-amd-ryzen-5000-cpus/
Latest BIOS for mainboard?

We should probably establish what sort of clock speeds you see sustained under a moderately heavy load such as under CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU. (Give approximate ambient temps as well, as testing in a 33C room predictably gives different results compared to a room cooled to 22C)

(Run the STRESS CPU for 10 minutes, noting clock speeds, core voltage , etc...)

(Hit 'STOP' to end stress load when done observing)

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I believe my BIOS version is 3401 and the latest is 3801. Unsure on how to update the BIOS though…
I’ll run the tests tomorrow and post results. The temps are of CPU Package.

The instructions for updating BIOS using the EZ-Flash 3 update utility are in the manual. Go to Page 3-3. The process using EZ-Flash is very simple, just be sure to extract the BIOS binary file from the distribution archive and put it on a USB flash drive first.

Updating BIOS is a good idea but your temps are fine so there's nothing to be concerned bout. 5900X CPUS are expected to run up to 90C as AMD has made clear:

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/max-safe-temperature-for-amd-ryzen-5000-cpus/

Solution

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
RYZEN MASTER IS SHOWING 40-50 degrees. Online, it says I should be getting about 35-40 degrees in RYZEN MASTER. What's wrong? It also just jumped to 70 degrees for 2 sec when I was writing this. Maybe, I need to apply it again with diff thermal paste? I used pre-applied one from the z73.

RYZEN MASTER IS SHOWING 40-50 degrees. Online, it says I should be getting about 35-40 degrees in RYZEN MASTER. What's wrong? It also just jumped to 70 degrees for 2 sec when I was writing this. Maybe, I need to apply it again with diff thermal paste? I used pre-applied one from the z73.
Is this showing temps or distance from max temp?
I know there was a lot of confusion about this in the past because they would show how much temp you have left instead of how hot the CPU is, I don't know if they still show it like that.

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
5% load is not idle, 0-1% is idle. 5900X has 24 threads. 100% divided by 24 is 4.2%. That 5% can easily be one thread pegging at 100% pushing boost clocks up. This same load is 30% on 4c/4t CPU using same cores. Since ryzen motherboards primarily report hotspot temp(wish they didn't, makes fan control unnecessary complicated), it will spike up every time when core wakes and ramp clock speed up. Doesn't mean whole CPU is at this temperature, it didn't get suddenly hot. Only tiny area within Core die got hot which dissipate quickly into rest of the silicon. You can't "fix" this by improving cooling, it has nothing to do with cooling. When CPU is doing sustained work, not something lasting a fraction of second, then cooling comes into play as whole chip(CCD) get hot. It takes multiple seconds to heat conduct away from silicon through IHS and cooler base.
I recommend to install HWInfo64 monitoring software. It can show detailed information of temperature sensors, every core individually, CCDs and IO die. Also look up what's using CPU. System Explorer is pretty good tool for that.

Here's a load caused by Chrome opening a bunch of windows, no web page refreshing, causing one core(number 3) to boost high. It looks like temperature jumped to ~70C. In reality all cores except one are still reporting 35-40C. IO die is also around 35C. Even Core 3 is just 50C while hotspot within Core 3 is 70C. Size of a single core is just couple square millimeters, it's tiny. Hotspot within is even tinier. If I run something heavy and sustained, temps will even out and CPU actually gets relatively hot.

5LtDayJ.jpeg

Last edited:
5% load is not idle, 0-1% is idle. 5900X has 24 threads. 100% divided by 24 is 4.2%. ....

I think most people consider their system to be at "idle" when there are no open apps in their task bar, some even going so far as to kill apps with icons in the notification area. To them any activity at all seems suspicious since with nothing in the taskbar or notification area they think nothing should be running, which is a fallacy of course.

Colif

Win 11 Master
5% is idle as far as windows is concerned if you have normal amount of apps on PC. without chrome open i can get to 3% maybe.

CPU CCD1 (tdie) is average of all the cores, so the spiky core is less obvious. The spike is normal, its just how ryzen handles job requests. I normally watch this value as its less insane that temps that go up and down all day.
Your CPU on average is pretty cool, its just the spikes that go a little high
go into hwinfo sensor screen again and go into settings
set polling to 500 and click set button. This will make temps change more often and make it more obvious how fast it drops from those temps as well. It doesn't linger.

my 3600xt doesn't get that much warmer, package only hits 71c max and thats likely at boot.

Sep 9, 2021
Stock settings in BIOS as well as in all software.

I'm just in Chrome and in Task Manager, it says 5% load. It also shows up my anti virus software and CAM. The thing is, the temps are sitting at 50-60 degrees. I have a Z73 with stock thermal paste.

Specs:

5900X
ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti
Lian Li 011 Dynamic
Bitspower Touchaqua Notos (6 in the case)
NZXT Kraken z73 (stock fans)
cool, but how does it run while under a real load (anywhere under 80 is decent)

(Idk how well pcs are supposed to run under light load)

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I think most people consider their system to be at "idle" when there are no open apps in their task bar, some even going so far as to kill apps with icons in the notification area. To them any activity at all seems suspicious since with nothing in the taskbar or notification area they think nothing should be running, which is a fallacy of course.
World is full of bad software doing stuff they simply shouldn't. Especially bloatware bundled with hardware is notoriously bad. I try to avoid them as much as possible. Then people have various issues and they try to solve it by fixing hardware.
5% is idle as far as windows is concerned if you have normal amount of apps on PC. without chrome open i can get to 3% maybe.
my 3600xt
You have half of cores and threads. 5% workload on 5900X will take about 10% of your CPU. Is 10% still idling for you?

windows doesn't use all the cores to run,. most are idle so if anything all that PC has is more idle cores. still same amount of usage
It may not use all the cores simultaneously, but it can use them all as it moves processes around a lot more now. Since monitoring application polling periods are typically a lot slower than the scheduler...or should be unless you want to see the affect of the monitoring app itself...it can appear to be hitting all the cores at once if not careful.

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
It may not use all the cores simultaneously, but it can use them all as it moves processes around a lot more now.
At least Zen2 and Zen3 use preferred core system and Windows 10 scheduler is aware of it(since 1903). On my 5800X random light loads are concentrated on core with lowest priority ranking, supposedly "worst" core. If I run single thread CB, only first and second "best" core are used, these are marked in Ryzen Master. 2x CCD CPUs have 2 preferred cores on each CCD. I'd say thread migration isn't occurring as much as it used to do.

At least Zen2 and Zen3 use preferred core system and Windows 10 scheduler is aware of it(since 1903). On my 5800X random light loads are concentrated on core with lowest priority ranking, supposedly "worst" core. If I run single thread CB, only first and second "best" core are used, these are marked in Ryzen Master. 2x CCD CPUs have 2 preferred cores on each CCD. I'd say thread migration isn't occurring as much as it used to do.
It does tend to prefer cores, but it still does move threads around. I think it does it to spread the heat load around to different cores in the CPU. I understand it can be quite a bit different with Zen 3, most of my experience is with Zen 2.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
On HWinfo, it says my temps are on average 35-40. Core 6, however, is sitting at 50c. And when I closed an application, it immediately shot up to 70.2c. It seems like this is the troublesome one. How can I fix this? Also, most of my cores are sitting at 3,675 MHz and are randomly shooting up to 4,600 MHz. Is this normal?

On HWinfo, it says my temps are on average 35-40. Core 6, however, is sitting at 50c. And when I closed an application, it immediately shot up to 70.2c. It seems like this is the troublesome one. How can I fix this? Also, most of my cores are sitting at 3,675 MHz and are randomly shooting up to 4,600 MHz. Is this normal?
what makes you think something needs to be 'fixed'?

I was just wondering why it randomly shoots up to 70. This shouldn't happen when closing an application, I assume.
It's not abnormal by any means when a core boosts for whatever reason, even during the housekeeping that occurs when a well behaved app is closed. These are 'hot spot' temp indications, not the overall CPU temperature. It's a bit like a measuring the temperature of a match during the short time it burns and assuming it's the temperature of the room it's in.

And it's not in unsafe territory either. Ryzen 5000...the 8/12/16 core parts in particular...are known for spiking to fairly hit temps during boosts and it's fully expected. What's most important to watch are the AVERAGE temps (in HWInfo64) when the CPU's under a sustained stress test. If that's trying to go over 90 would be a good idea to check out cooling.

Last edited: