Question 5900x insane idle temps, no idea what to do, please help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 27, 2020
My 5900x is constantly running at 90-95 °C, even when idle and when the actual cpu usage is just 5%.
All fans are on max speed and liquid cooler is also on max according to bios.

I have no idea at all what could be causing this or how to fix it, please please help.
If you need any extra information, let me know and I'll answer as fast as I can.

I tried it and also reset my bios to default, then did a test, now it's on 50-64 °C when idle, around 75 °C when browsing chrome (10 tabs open) and around 90 °C when chrome (10 tabs) + playing any game or when browsing chrome + updating a game. Already much better! But I'm not sure, are these normal temps now?
Another possibility is gunk (actually blooms of anaerobic organisms) clogging the microfins of the waterblock or pump impeller. It's common in some AIO coolers, not so common in others. It's usually controlled by biocides added during manufacture but they probably have a limited life time. 5 years is a normal life for an AIO but around 1-2 years is the usual time for problems like this to develop when the biocide gives up early. When you hit the block with a screwdriver it probably dislodged some of the blockage and they 'blew through', so to speak.

If you're the toolsy sort, it's not impossible to fix. You have to disassemble the water block, clean the fins, flush the radiator with an appropriate glycol/water solution, re-assemble and refill with the same solution being sure to include a biocide. A long-life glycol based automotive antifreeze is OK and they usually include a bio-cide.

And yes, those are pretty much normal temps for a 5900X, but now you know you have a latent AIO problem to take care of.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
the whole 'one tube warm, the other at room temp' more than likely means it is not pumping at all....; where the tube is warm is likely just stagnant/non-moving water relatively close to the underside of the pump where it contacts the heat-shield surfaces.

(not sure why folks think warm water can be brought back down to 22C temps in one quick pass thru a radiator, but, it does not happen quite that efficiently or quickly or thoroughly)
Another possibility is gunk (actually blooms of anaerobic organisms) clogging the microfins of the waterblock or pump impeller. It's common in some AIO coolers, not so common in others. It's usually controlled by biocides added during manufacture but they probably have a limited life time. 5 years is a normal life for an AIO but around 1-2 years is the usual time for problems like this to develop when the biocide gives up early. When you hit the block with a screwdriver it probably dislodged some of the blockage and they 'blew through', so to speak.

If you're the toolsy sort, it's not impossible to fix. You have to disassemble the water block, clean the fins, flush the radiator with an appropriate glycol/water solution, re-assemble and refill with the same solution being sure to include a biocide. A long-life glycol based automotive antifreeze is OK and they usually include a bio-cide.

And yes, those are pretty much normal temps for a 5900X, but now you know you have a latent AIO problem to take care of.
Yes, I thought about doing this but despite all the tools I have, I could not find a single fitting screwdriver for the two middle screws on the galahad (pic: https://static.tweaktown.com/conten...60-rgb-closed-loop-cpu-cooler-review_full.jpg) so I couldn't even remove the copper plate

Yes, I thought about doing this but despite all the tools I have, I could not find a single fitting screwdriver for the two middle screws on the galahad (pic: https://static.tweaktown.com/conten...60-rgb-closed-loop-cpu-cooler-review_full.jpg) so I couldn't even remove the copper plate
Really cheap of Lian Li to do that: those are security screws. The only way I know to remove that type is to drill it out. You'll need to do it on a drill press with the block held securely in a vise to prevent the bit from walking around the the hard stainless screw and wallowing the soft copper plate.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
New AIO came in, and after constant 90 temp and shutdowns due to overheating (I think like 5, hope no permanent cpu damage from that), temps are back to normal again, so the AIO pump really was broken, or only working partially, thank you for everyone's help!!!

Nov 27, 2020
Really cheap of Lian Li to do that: those are security screws. The only way I know to remove that type is to drill it out. You'll need to do it on a drill press with the block held securely in a vise to prevent the bit from walking around the the hard stainless screw and wallowing the soft copper plate.
Yes, I saw a video of gamers nexus doing it on youtube, but I don't even know if it's still usable afterwards, with the two security screws gone.