[SOLVED] 5900x is running at 84-86 degrees C while running Cyberpunk 2077

Dec 6, 2021
hey guys, just wondering if this was normal for other 5900x owners. a recent build got it no less than 2 months, and ive been reading forums and stuff, seeing people say their gaming temps are at ranges of 75 C while others said they had spikes of 86 while still being able to stay at low 80s. Mine stays consistently at 85 C with not that much spikes (this is on menu, not gameplay). So just wondering if this was abnormal and if it were, what type of things should i be looking out for to make it cooler?

My build is as follows:
5900 X
ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
64gb Corsair rgb rs ram,
Rx 5700xt Gigabyte

8.12 Edit :

I am using an AIO LianLi Galahad 360 mm, i havent really optimised it's fan curves yet. The case is phanteks p500A and the radiator is positioned at the top of the case where its fans are being utilised as exhaust fans. ambient room temps is around like 24-25 C, I'm using an air conditioner in my room, i still feel the heat radiating from the case during gaming. i get like 1-2 % at idle and the temps are 40 - 45 C, mostly at 44 C. It's Windows 10 v 10.019044. The Bios for my motherboard is v3801 which is the latest released 8.12.2021. My PSU is cooler master MWE 750W Gold rated. I havent got other titles installed, just cyberpunk so far. Ive just got Control installed and I;m giving that a go tonight. The rx 5700 xt is gigabyte as requested by JohnBonhamsGhost. The cpu likes to get up to like 84 at around 4.4 Mhz, its voltage is at auto but i see a general constant of 1.35V. You guys can find the picture of my build including its fans orientation below. Thank you so much for the responses guys!

pmihY2qbj

Last edited:
Solution
your system's temperatures are not due to any particular game but due to your system-wide cooling setup.
you can have the most demanding game in the world running at 8K with max settings at 240fps and if you have adequate cooling in place your temperatures will still be low.

what determines the max temperatures you will reach is the quality of your CPU cooler and it's fans, your case's ventilation and fan placement and fan quality, the ambient temperatures in the room, and the fan speed curve profiles you have in place.
just wondering if this was abnormal and if it were, what type of things should i be looking out for to make it cooler?
85°C CPU temperature for any game is very high.
not dangerous to the CPU but much higher...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What are you using to cool the processor? Make and model of the case as well as the airflow in said case? Ambient room air temps? What sort of usages do you see when at idle? Speaking of idle, what OS are you working with? If Windows 10 mention the version(not edition). BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU? Side note, do you see the same temps on other titles?

your system's temperatures are not due to any particular game but due to your system-wide cooling setup.
you can have the most demanding game in the world running at 8K with max settings at 240fps and if you have adequate cooling in place your temperatures will still be low.

what determines the max temperatures you will reach is the quality of your CPU cooler and it's fans, your case's ventilation and fan placement and fan quality, the ambient temperatures in the room, and the fan speed curve profiles you have in place.
just wondering if this was abnormal and if it were, what type of things should i be looking out for to make it cooler?
not dangerous to the CPU but much higher than you would like to see.
i rarely pass 60°C when playing Cyberpunk 2077.

list the rest of your system specs including all cooling; fans & their placement & orientation, case, CPU cooler, type of RX 5700 XT, etc...

Last edited:
Solution

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
According to MSI Afterburner, the highest temp spike I have while playing Cyberpunk 2077 with a 5900x is 76C. This is with a 360mm AIO cooler and a huge case with good airflow. I have the radiator mounted at the top of the case in an exhaust configuration. If I had it pulling in cool air I would probably be running a bit cooler. 85C sounds a bit high to me. Maybe redo your thermal paste. As Lutfij said, give us more information about your cooling and case.

hey guys, just wondering if this was normal for other 5900x owners. a recent build got it no less than 2 months, and ive been reading forums and stuff, seeing people say their gaming temps are at ranges of 75 C while others said they had spikes of 86 while still being able to stay at low 80s. Mine stays consistently at 85 C with not that much spikes (this is on menu, not gameplay). So just wondering if this was abnormal and if it were, what type of things should i be looking out for to make it cooler?

My build is as follows:
5900 X
ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
64gb Corsair rgb rs ram,
Rx 5700xt

85-86C might be higher than needed but it's not dangerous yet. You can expect 5900X temps to hit 90C and it's by design. It pushes for it unless you have 'better ' cooling. If you can keep to temperatures in the 70's it helps keep the processor boosting higher.

But also: what are you using to report out temps? You have to look for an average temp and not the hot spot temp peaks of the boosting core. Best way to see both is with HWInfo64.

Dec 6, 2021
8.12 Edit :

I am using an AIO LianLi Galahad 360 mm, i havent really optimised it's fan curves yet. The case is phanteks p500A and the radiator is positioned at the top of the case where its fans are being utilised as exhaust fans. ambient room temps is around like 24-25 C, I'm using an air conditioner in my room, i still feel the heat radiating from the case during gaming. i get like 1-2 % at idle and the temps are 40 - 45 C, mostly at 44 C. It's Windows 10 v 10.019044. The Bios for my motherboard is v3801 which is the latest released 8.12.2021. My PSU is cooler master MWE 750W Gold rated. I havent got other titles installed, just cyberpunk so far. Ive just got Control installed and I;m giving that a go tonight. The rx 5700 xt is gigabyte as requested by JohnBonhamsGhost. The cpu likes to get up to like 84 at around 4.4 Mhz, its voltage is at auto but i see a general constant of 1.35V. You guys can find the picture of my build including its fans orientation below. Thank you so much for the responses guys!

The cpu likes to get up to like 84 at around 4.4 Mhz, its voltage is at auto but i see a general constant of 1.35V.
Ryzen is very dynamic so it will change a lot. What are you using to monitor CPU temperature and voltage? HWInfo64 is recommended as it does a running average in a column for you to see. Also, there are actually several temps and core voltages. It's hard to know what other utilities are reporting but you can see most of them with HWInfo64. Look for the CPU Core voltage (SVI2 TFN) as that tells you the internal voltage the CPU is getting.

The rx 5700 xt is gigabyte
and what is the RTX device under the RX 5700XT in the image?
don't see any Nvidia components listed in your specs.

if your running two cards it could just be that there isn't enough exhaust for them both.
if the radiator is pulling two GPU's heat up through it then this could keep the CPU from getting cool enough.
maybe try turning all fans up to 100% and see how much the temps change.

Dec 6, 2021
The Geforce below it is palit 3060, apologies, didnt list it cause the hdmi was connected to the rx instead of the rtx, and i see in the windows performance that the rtx is not being used, unless i change the hdmi port to that card. I'm using afterburner to monitor with overlay during gaming, i also use task manager's performance window to check cpu utilisation and cross reference that with ryzen master's own readings. basically showed 85 C upwards to 90 C during 100% utilisation with 4.5-4.7 mhz all cores. So i tested control the other day and it was really fine at first, showing 4.7 mhz at 80 C and sometimes being able to get around high 70s C. Though further into game, say an hour or so, it starts to get hot and stays at 85-86/7 C. I will check that thermal paste thing. Is there any particular brands of thermal pastes that are known to be good for AMD CPUs?

Dec 6, 2021

not dangerous to the CPU but much higher than you would like to see.
i rarely pass 60°C when playing Cyberpunk 2077.

list the rest of your system specs including all cooling; fans & their placement & orientation, case, CPU cooler, type of RX 5700 XT, etc...

what video settings are you running cyberpunk at? I'm having it at its ultra settings. Dont know if that's got anything to do with it maybe?

The Geforce below it is palit 3060, apologies, ....
Those two GPU's are making the radiator's job a lot harder with it being mounted at top. Your case allows it, I'd put it in front and use cool outside air to cool it instead of the heated GPU exhaust air.

Two GPU's generate a much larger volume of heated air than one and it could be upwards of 20C warmer than outside air even by the time it gets to the radiator. That's the same as going from a room with 24C ambient to 45C ambient. While I can't say it would bring it to 64-67C it should knock it down quite a bit from the 84-86C it is now during Cyberpunk down by mounting it in front.

Last edited:
what video settings are you running cyberpunk at?
all highest settings except blur settings off,
Ray Tracing all on with ultra setting,
DLSS set to quality,
3440x1440p.

remove the RTX 3060 if you're not using it.
it's impeding airflow and taking up space for nothing.

mounting your radiator in the front is not a good idea in most scenarios.
even if the radiator may get some cooler air then all other components are suffering from it's heated air filling their environment.
as long as you have adequate cool air coming into the system top mounted is the best option.
but there will be scenarios where front mounted may work out better if you don't have adequate mounting options throughout the rest of the case.

you haven't reported how much temperatures change with ALL fans running at 100%.

you can also start lowering CPU voltage .005v at a time until your unstable.
each incremental drop will very slightly lower max temps.

Sorry...not true.
and one Youtube video does not negate 15 years of building & experimenting with liquid cooling.
and you'll find as many proving the other way around if that's what you're actually searching for.

and there are many more factors including the fans they're using, the ambient temperature in the room, etc.
anyone can alter their environment to make a video that will draw attention.

and one Youtube video does not negate 15 years of building & experimenting with liquid cooling.
and you'll find as many proving the other way around if that's what you're actually searching for.

and there are many more factors including the fans they're using, the ambient temperature in the room, etc.
anyone can alter their environment to make a video that will draw attention.

He's not the only one...I seem to remember LTT had a short piece doing same thing as well as Jays2 cents. With the huge mix of hardware and setups possible it's always possible to get weird results... but I say OP should move it and see for himself since he's got the problem. It's not that hard since this is an AIO and not CCL.

And I've seen exactly the same results for myself, BTW. I even turned air flow around in an mATX case just to get the 120mm radiator drawing cool outside air instead of discharging the hot GPU air through it. The effect was amazing...everything inside running cooler even VRM, GPU unaffected. CPU (Ryzen 1700) holding an OC at 3.9G where it could only hold 3.8G before due to thermals. Whether Folding (both CPU and GPU maxed performance) or gaming (Cyberpunk as it so happens).

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aye, it's going to depend on the chassis and the other hardware. Not too many want to put in the time to find out what works best with their hardware, with all the 'best fan setup' threads...
H500P Mesh
1080Ti + Kraken G12 + Celsius S36(using Phanteks T30-120) as pull intake at the front
7820X + Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 360(stock fans suck, replaced with the Celsius S36's stock fans) also as pull intake at the top
NF-A12x15 as rear exhaust
When running Cinebench R23 and Unigine Superposition(looped), I get a few degrees better thermals on the cpu with this than the recommended front intake, top + rear exhaust. Gpu pretty much stayed the same throughout.
I will be testing the Eisbaer as top exhaust later when I replace the acrylic panel with the mesh mod I've made for it. Will even try the rear fan as intake and see if that doesn't change anything.
Can't test the gpu AIO at the top, as the Celsius tubes aren't flexible enough; it doesn't reach. I'd have to put it on a riser to pull that one off.

@blai0790
In the picture, is the PC under your desk or something? That might have something to do with it; heat exhausted out the top and rear, but due to the enclosed space, some of it probably gets sucked right back in - well, it'll still happen in a more open space and with the PC elevated, but the cycle takes longer to reach equilibrium.
Dust is a bigger problem when the PC's on the floor too.

Is that an external drive bay sitting on top, and blocking some of the exhaust?

"Mine stays consistently at 85 C with not that much spikes (this is on menu, not gameplay)..."
I would just ignore that, or cap fps. Menus are easy to run, typically having much higher fps than during actual gameplay. It's going to run hotter during that.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Pretty hilarious that a 5900X runs so incredibly hot at stock that a triple-fan radiator can’t even cool it.

I’d agree with what others have said, the radiator in the roof blowing out is much less efficient than having the radiator in the front sucking in. You will likely keep it below 80 if you just changed the orientation.

also, having two GPUs in your system is a waste of time and will be increasing temps a lot for little to no benefit. Drop down to one GPU for best thermals.