Dec 18, 2022
I have recently tried to upgrade my Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 9 5900x in my Gigabyte b450 aorus pro Wi-Fi and it is not working. I have updated the bios to 63c(the most recent update that should include the new cpus) and I have given it time after powering up the system again as sometimes it take a minute to go through the bios config. I do not receive a post and the error lights never get past dram on the board But it will regularly flash between DRAM and CPU. I have tried removing some of the RAM in the system and only using dual sticks in both of the configurations(a1/a2 and b1/b2)… I have cleared cmos and I have done everything I can think to get the system to boot. My old 1600 still works in the system with no issues. Would this mean the CPU was DOA? Thank you for any answers.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022
What are the complete specs of this system?
Cpu-Ryzen 9 5900x(trying to use this anyway) old is ryzen 5 1600
MB-Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi REV 1.0
RAM- 4x8 g skill trident z 3200
GPU- msi RTX 3060
PSU- RM850x
2 2TB HDD- ones and older seagate SSHD and the other is a newer WD blue
ADATA 256gb m.2(specifically for windows)

that’s everything in the case excluding fans. I have not attempted an OC or any custom setting for the hardware.

Dec 18, 2022
Did you go through the steps when updating bios? V 40, then 50, then 63?

I have the same board and a 5900x with no issues running it. I did the steps when updating the bios though
I did update to 40 first but I skipped the 50 as I must have missed where it says I needed to do that first. I will try that now and see if it works. Thank you very much for that info!!

Dec 18, 2022
i was on 40 when i upgraded from a 3600x and i went to 50 and then to the top which at the time was 63b if i recall right. took mobo a minute to adjust on next boot but then it was good to go.

so that's my first thought as to what might be going on.
I have rolled back the bios and updated in the order stated and I am still unable to get it to POST.. nothing has changed sadly..as i have let the system run for a few minutes to see if it would work with enough time.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok next idea is to only have 1 stick of ram installed. this often works for me with ryzen cpu's.

1 stick and the cpu to see if it will post. then you can add the rest back once it boots.

do you happen to have some way to test the cpu on a different mobo? to see if it happens to be DOA?

Dec 18, 2022
ok next idea is to only have 1 stick of ram installed. this often works for me with ryzen cpu's.

1 stick and the cpu to see if it will post. then you can add the rest back once it boots.

do you happen to have some way to test the cpu on a different mobo? to see if it happens to be DOA?
I will try this as soon as I can, but at the moment I do not have another AM4 board. I believe that with Me complaining to a friend about the issue they are getting a new board for me for the holiday so this may not be an issue next week. I will keep you updated as soon as I can. Thank you for the help!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem.

if you get a new board at least you got a combo you can sell to help recoup the cost of the 5900x :)

the b450 aorus pro is a decent board and it can provide all the power the 5900x asks for. i see under 190w max when torture testing it which falls in line with what i saw in reviews, prime 95 sits around 180w. i see only about 150w max in real world use if i am taxing most of the cores so it is easy to cool. playing a game or something is below that even which is great for the performance.