[SOLVED] 5900x oc question

htoontm

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
I am studying oc options for 5900x. My understanding with Stock vs all core oc vs pbo vs pbo+oc are as follows

Stock
Base clock is 3.7 Ghz (is it all core clock speed or single core? i guess all cores are running at 3.7g at stock.)
Boost clock is 4.8 ( that is for single core boost only)

All core oc
All core are oc all the time to a set frequency.

PBO

It never goes above the boost clock speed when it is activated. ( Does that mean single core or all cores frequency?) with pbo on, can one core or multiple cores go up to 4.8?

PBO + auto oc

One core or multiple cores can go beyond 4.8.

Do i understand them correctly? Is that how it works? which route should i go to oc 5900x? All core oc vs pbo vs pbo +auto oc.

I am coming from intel platform and things are different.

Your time and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
I am studying oc options for 5900x. My understanding with Stock vs all core oc vs pbo vs pbo+oc are as follows

Stock
Base clock is 3.7 Ghz (is it all core clock speed or single core? i guess all cores are running at 3.7g at stock.)

All core oc

PBO

It never goes above the boost clock speed when it is activated. ( Does that mean single core or all cores frequency?) with pbo on, can one core or multiple cores go up to 4.8?

PBO + auto oc

Do i understand them correctly? Is that how it works? which route should i go to oc 5900x? All core oc vs pbo vs pbo +auto oc.

I am coming...

Stock

All core oc

PBO

PBO + auto oc

I am coming from intel platform and things are different.

Your time and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
With most Ryzen manual all core OC is limited to or under single core auto boost including PBO/PBO2 (yes max boost is is on only one core) because of they way they are optimized by internal algorithms based on load and temperature.
If your manual OC nets less than what max boost is, you'd loose on some single core performance even if you gain some multicore performance. You would also need to run it with more or less set voltage all the time and necessitate extra good cooling.
Base clock is 3.7 Ghz is for all cores but on auto (PBO etc) it's neither minimal or maximal unless you manually set it to. At full boost all cores but one that boosts highest should go to or exceed 4-5-4.6 GHz. I have seen that CPU boost to 5GHz or a bit more when set properly and is cool enough.

Last edited:
Solution

htoontm

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
With most Ryzen manual all core OC is limited to or under single core auto boost including PBO/PBO2 (yes max boost is is on only one core) because of they way they are optimized by internal algorithms based on load and temperature.
If your manual OC nets less than what max boost is, you'd loose on some single core performance even if you gain some multicore performance. You would also need to run it with more or less set voltage all the time and necessitate extra good cooling.
Base clock is 3.7 Ghz is for all cores but on auto (PBO etc) it's neither minimal or maximal unless you manually set it to. At full boost all cores but one that boosts highest should go to or exceed 4-5-4.6 GHz. I have seen that CPU boost to 5GHz or a bit more when set properly and is cool enough.

Thank you for your feedback. I have artic cooler 360. should i push all core oc or let pbo and auto oc handle. What do you do in your setup.

Thanks.

madchemist83

Distinguished
As stated in another thread about 5800x, PBO currently is not very well optimized, no pun intended.
Here's an example:
When running stock my 5900x cores would spike as high as 5.025 but voltage would go up as high as 1.500V and stay relatively high after that on idle, however it will also dip to around 0.965 V.
When turning PBO anf using motherboard default settings for PPT, TDC and EDC I get similar performance to stock, the only voltage optimization I can see is using Curve Optimizer and as noted in numerous postings to adjust best cores to negative 10 and the rest to negative 15. However voltage is still somewhat high.
Using any sort of voltage manipulation locks my cpu to stock 3.7 ghz setting.
In turn using AMD overclock + offset settings all on auto and setting manual multiplier to 45 does keep volts at a constant 1.25 and still yields comparative performance and as stated above you lose on single core but gain on multi.
So I guess until better BIOS comes out and there are tools like clock tuner for 5000 series I would leave it at a constant voltage. Not sure how real electromigration is these days but I feel more comfortable with constant voltage vs spikes.
When you will be able, in BIOS, to set max spike voltage and test how far each core can go that will be the day I'll give PBO a try.
Hope this helps and looking forward to more information.

htoontm

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
Thank you all for answering my question. I do not want to leave my cpu at stock as i have 360 rad, good air flow case, good motherboard and so on. This setup is more for testing, satisfying my curiosity and killing my boredom. I will try PBO and curve optimizer and all oc. This is just for fun. Stock performance gives me plenty of performance out of the box already. I can put together my system starting next week when all parts will be in my hand.

Please feel free to share your settings and guide you may have referenced.

Thank you once again.