[SOLVED] 5900x overkill for gaming, streaming and video editing?

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
This might be a long thread so skip to the end for the TLDR. I am going to build a gaming system that I hope will last me for years containing a 5900x(maybe), a rtx 3080, 32gb of ram cl16, and a 850w power supply. I have already scored the 3080 thank God, and the 5900x has not been bought. When I was thinking of building this system in late 2020, people told me that 6 cores 12t was enough for gaming/ and streaming. Now people are saying that 8-10 threads is good. I want this pc to last for a long time so is the 5900x's 12 cores and 24 threads good? Or is the 8 core 16 threads 5800x enough for the next 5 years.

TL;DR Is 8 cores 16 threads enough for the next 5 years?

Solution
There is something to be considered here, in relation to "real world" PC configurations. For instance, if you look at the Steam info on current systems, you see that the majority of systems and the largest player base are still WELL behind the curve of current technology. Now, this doesn't mean that what you buy today isn't soon obsolete, but there is a plus side to game and app/program developers to keep the top of that bell curve "current" as well.

In my own case I used to wait 4 generations or 30% uplift in performance. For a long time that was a great value proposition for keeping a somewhat relevant system. Just in the past few years we have seen a lot of innovation in the market. As much as I would like to say that the current...
I want this pc to last for a long time so is the 5900x's 12 cores and 24 threads good? Or is the 8 core 16 threads 5800x enough for the next 5 years.
One just can't answer such questions.. because longevity of PC doesn't depends on cores. If that would be the case, it would be safe to buy a Threadripper 64C/128T and not spending a cent in next 25 years.
It depends on what user will do with PC after 5 years. Let's say you're into video editing.. right now 16C/32T is more than enough for home and semi-pro use. But in just three years, things might change: you lose interest on video editing, or opposite, you try to do it professional. In both cases it turns out 16C/32T maybe wasn't the best decision.

So, I think one should look after what it needed now and buy next best. For example if 6C/12T is what you need now, get 8C/16T (if budget allows). And if CPU (+related hardware) is latest generation, it will for sure serve you well for next 5+ years.

jtk2515

Distinguished
Depends on your streaming settings. If your going to stream using x264 slow in1080p@60fps then the 5800x is not enough. If your going to use up to x264 medium then the minimum you would need is a 5800x. Using nvenc a 5600x is fine.

Reactions: Bassman999

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There is something to be considered here, in relation to "real world" PC configurations. For instance, if you look at the Steam info on current systems, you see that the majority of systems and the largest player base are still WELL behind the curve of current technology. Now, this doesn't mean that what you buy today isn't soon obsolete, but there is a plus side to game and app/program developers to keep the top of that bell curve "current" as well.

In my own case I used to wait 4 generations or 30% uplift in performance. For a long time that was a great value proposition for keeping a somewhat relevant system. Just in the past few years we have seen a lot of innovation in the market. As much as I would like to say that the current rate of innovation will continue....what if it doesn't?
AMD made an amazing, game changing product back in 2017 and have been building on that. Intel is having issue getting off 14nm, and they are among the most currency liquid companies in the world. Where will the market be in 2/4/8 years? Who knows?
Speaking for myself I will likely want a new toy before that long anyway.

With all that windiness over (lol) I think that gaming performance tends to favor the 6 core to cost/performance right this moment. They are a GREAT value proposition. When you add the productivity aspects, in my mind I say go for the gusto with the budget you are willing to put forth and worry about upgrading again when you feel the time has come.
Your rig will likely be relevant long after that point. (at least in my experience)

Solution