Question 5900x Running Too Hot

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Bought a 5900x before Christmas, didn't realise the temps until recently.

My CPU idles at around 56-60 degrees celsius, and when running a game (Halo Infinite) 70-78 degrees celsius.

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212x CPU cooler with one fan.
My friend suggested I reapply my thermal paste but that's a lot of hassle.

Would you lot recommend a different method such as buying a new CPU cooler or is this normal?

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
The 5900x is probably a bit much for a 212x, a cooler upgrade is probably a good plan. Your still going to need to clean off all old paste from the cpu.
That's what I thought, if the cooler isn't good enough, why would I want to do something I'd be doing anyway to install a new cooler.

Any recommendations for a cooler?

That's what I thought, if the cooler isn't good enough, why would I want to do something I'd be doing anyway to install a new cooler.

Any recommendations for a cooler?
Thats my point, changing the cooler will still require you to clean the cpu.

As for cooler it depends a lot on budget, how much space your case has, any limitations of tall RAM in the first slot and if you want an AIO or air cooler. There are lots of 'best cooler' lists about.

Fireboy_JET

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Thats my point, changing the cooler will still require you to clean the cpu.

As for cooler it depends a lot on budget, how much space your case has, any limitations of tall RAM in the first slot and if you want an AIO or air cooler. There are lots of 'best cooler' lists about.
Would you recommend the Arctic Liquid Freezer II?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I have a 5900X with a 360mm AIO and my idle temps are anywhere from 37 to 43C. While playing Cyberpunk 2077 my temps are averaging around 71 with a peak of 76C. Like Sizzling said, the 212 isn't suitable for a 5900X. If you mount a 360mm AIO in the front of your case you may get even better temps since mine is mounted at the top in an exhaust configuration.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Would you recommend the Arctic Liquid Freezer II?
I would. I have the 5950X and the hottest it ever spikes is ~76C, where the average usually hangs at ~65C at most. Before that, I was running a Noctua NH-D15 on my 3950X before that build went to my son in law. He loves the performance that Noctua still gives him and I would give two huge thumbs-up to the Arctic II 360 otherwise. The temps are consistent, as I normally run Folding At Home when my computer is up at nearly all times.

BTW, my Arctic is top-mounted...my case (Fractal series) doesn't allow it to go on the front.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS