[SOLVED] 5900X speed and temperature check

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I recently built a new machine. Running a 5900X.

I tested it today, and under full load (handbrake) I got all cores about 4.2 , temperatures around 61 degrees. Its my understanding that the 4.9 is a single core boost only, not across all 12 when under full load, its that correct ?

So I think the system is running nicely, just wanted to check with people more experienced than me. Im really happy with a 61 degrees max for full load.

Solution
I tested it today, and under full load (handbrake) I got all cores about 4.2 , temperatures around 61 degrees. Its my understanding that the 4.9 is a single core boost only, not across all 12 when under full load, its that correct ?
Not exactly....but keep in mind the base clock speed of the processor is 3.7Ghz for 5900x. So when running at any clock speed above that it's properly 'boosting'.

Ryzen 3000 CPU's would boost only a single core at a time to maximum rated clocks, but I believe Ryzen 5000 CPU's are capable of boosting multiple cores to max rated clocks (4.8Ghz for 5900X). But in both cases they only boost to max clocks when there is sufficient power and temperature headroom; that means it happens mostly in the...
PerCore-2-5900X.png

4200 on all core looks fine

Reactions: LeVzi
Not exactly....but keep in mind the base clock speed of the processor is 3.7Ghz for 5900x. So when running at any clock speed above that it's properly 'boosting'.

Ryzen 3000 CPU's would boost only a single core at a time to maximum rated clocks, but I believe Ryzen 5000 CPU's are capable of boosting multiple cores to max rated clocks (4.8Ghz for 5900X). But in both cases they only boost to max clocks when there is sufficient power and temperature headroom; that means it happens mostly in the light, bursty types of processing workloads typical of gaming.

When the processing is really heavy all-core workload, like when rendering a video in Handbrake, the boost frequencies will reduce to mid-range clock speeds, again depending on thermals. You might could improve on the 4.2Ghz with even better cooling, or running PBO with curve optimizer and a slight undervolt to help control thermals.

Reactions: LeVzi and CountMike
Solution