Question 5900X temps?

Jun 21, 2022
I just turned my new build on for the second time, and I've heard the 5900x goes hot but I dont know if 90c while installing updates and Valorant is right... it seems too high. I have it hooked up to a corsair h150i for reference

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Be sure the case is ventilated well and thermal paste is enough and then cooler installed properly, if so, then it is what it is, though you should be fine, tjmax of that CPU is 95°C and will most likely stay cooler while not installing apps.

I don't know where you are in the world but here in the UK, it's extremely warm and humid. Mine is idling at 48C and got up to 80C when loading a level in Gears earlier, stayed around 70ish while actually running the game though.

It's summer, they're hot chips. The advice above is good advice, especially regarding the case ventilation.

Jun 21, 2022
Be sure the case is ventilated well and thermal paste is enough and then cooler installed properly, if so, then it is what it is, though you should be fine, tjmax of that CPU is 95°C and will most likely stay cooler while not installing apps.
It SHOULD be ventilated good, its not pushed against any walls and I think I have a good intake/exhaust setup, I'm gonna check its idle temps while just running apps like discord, chrome and spotify. After tonight ill see how much it throttles while playing valorant tonight. The only thing I think might help would be vertical gpu (This is in the inverted version of the lian li o11de) because then my aio hoses are a bit more free instead of on the side of the gpu.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I have a 5900X in my newest build and it runs at a max temp of 78C and that is just the spikes reported in Afterburner. This is with a 360mm AIO cooler. Since your Corsair is a 360 mm you should be getting better temps than that. What kind of case do you have? It should be a mesh front and not a solid front with vents in the sides for airflow. Is your AIO mounted at the front pulling in cool air or is it at the top exhausting hot air? And of course make sure your AIO pump is set to run at 100%.

Jun 21, 2022
I have a 5900X in my newest build and it runs at a max temp of 78C and that is just the spikes reported in Afterburner. This is with a 360mm AIO cooler. Since your Corsair is a 360 mm you should be getting better temps than that. What kind of case do you have? It should be a mesh front and not a solid front with vents in the sides for airflow. Is your AIO mounted at the front pulling in cool air or is it at the top exhausting hot air? And of course make sure your AIO pump is set to run at 100%.
Its a lian li o11de, inverted, and the aio is a side mounted intake i believe(logo facing out?) I havent gotten around to installing any software for fans yet like L connect or whatever corsairs equivalent is

Jun 21, 2022
Definitely advise installing Corsair Icue.
So since you haven't your pump speed is low and your fans are not reacting to the rise in the coolant temp.

Try pump on Extreme and fans on Balanced.
And recheck your temps.
Tried doing that as well as putting every fan onto its max speed and it didnt drop it at all. now running at 90c with discord and chrome open... same temps with this (4% load) and Cinnebench @ 100%...

Jun 21, 2022
Can you post some images, but PLEASE remove glass panel before taking them. It helps to avoid certain reflections and the images will look less blurry.
You have to use a image hosting site, like imgur.com, postimages.org, imgbb.com, etc.
View: https://imgur.com/a/OyxrmYU

heres some images. still running at 90c, really dont know what else to do here, I followed that youtube video above and it caused it to crash so i reset it back to stock.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, the H150 is set to intake. It's got direct access to the room air, so I suspect something's off with the cold plate mount or the paste application.
Corsair AIOs have this handy function where the LEDs on the cpu block turn red when LIQUID temperatures get really high(a sign of pump failure or built up organics restricting flow)... or did the more recent models do away with that?

The fan setup looks ok, until I see the top... the gpu fans are positioned to do battle with the top exhaust fans. Possible deadzone up there... :unsure:
How have gpu thermals been under load?
Gpu core
Gpu Hotspot
Memory junction
You can use Gpu-Z sensors or HWINFO to view those parameters. Run 3D Mark Timespy and see what happens to them. Valorant is hard on a single core, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Could be we are overthinking this and he simply has lost the silicon lottery or his mainboard drives voltages of the CPU too high. However, I would check his fan setup as well. Most fans should be set on INTAKE, make no mistake. If you are not sure, check it. You can see it on the propellors.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022
For reference, I followed Christopher Flannigan's airflow guide for the Lian Li o11d evo, and as far as the mount its tight on, no wobble and the paste I did the Grizzly application in the X formation it says to do.

I ran the Valley benchmark on high settings (200 fps), Core hit 70c average, Other two hit 80 average. During rocket league it was a little bit lower, and during the whole time the cpu was sitting at 90 (its since dropped to 80 as Ive been typing this but stayed put there)

Jun 21, 2022
Could be we are overthinking this and he simply has lost the silicon lottery or his mainboard drives voltages of the CPU too high. However, I would check his fan setup as well. Most fans should be set on INTAKE, make no mistake. If you are not sure, check it. You can see it on the propellors.
the top and rear are exhaust. side and bottom are intakes. I as I put earlier I tried undervolting it by the youtube video above and it caused the system to crash repeatedly. I suppose it could be a bad chip, Its the first day Ive been using this rig.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Phaaze do you think flipping the rad to tubes down along with flipping the top and single side to intake could help both, it would be more intake then exhaust though.
Fan Color change can be configured, here is a snip from my H150 Icue Alert Options.
No, flipping the rad won't do anything unless it's really old or there's a leak. Plus they've already got side and bottom intake.
The top exhaust and gpu intake situation has me raising an eyebrow though. I figure the OP already has more intake than exhaust if the top fans and gpu are fighting each other.
I'm expecting one of those Dynamic Evos to get to me next week, so I'll get to play with that then.

What's the default color for liquid temperature warning - is it still the red thing I mentioned earlier?

For reference, I followed Christopher Flannigan's airflow guide for the Lian Li o11d evo, and as far as the mount its tight on, no wobble and the paste I did the Grizzly application in the X formation it says to do.
Thermal Grizzly paste is supposed to be applied manually over the entire IHS. That's why they provide the little applicator.

That's not good as it means that the AIO isn't pulling fresh air in, instead it pulls hot air through the radiator. Change the radiator to intake and something else to outtake instead.
The AIO is side intake already, getting fresh air from the room. The other 7 fans are Lian Li ALs.