Sep 17, 2020
Hello!

Firstly i will add my spec list :

• Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI)
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
  • 2tb Corsair Mp600 NVme
  • Asus Rog Thor 850W
  • G.Skill trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 32gb (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC )
  • Asus Rog LC 360 Cpu cooler
  • Asus TUF GT501

i have been running this setup for about 1-1.5 month without any issues.

Im gonna begin from the first time it happened, so hold on and stay strong for my bad english
im not sure what order i got the bluescreen errors but here is the list of what errors

• Driver Overran Stack Buffer
  • PFN list corrupt
  • Memory management
  • Page fault in nonpage area
  • irql less or equal
  • Reference by pointer

I was playing call of duty Cold war zombies and had no issues as all , mid game i had a game crash, and seconds after I got a blue screen and the computer rebooted, i went past the bios on start and another bluescreen popped up
thats when i turned all settings back to optimized in bios ( i was running the standard D.O.C.P Standard profile , everything else was out of the box) i rebooted and got into windows, after a short while the computer crashed once again ... i got frustrated and was concerned my ram was the issue, so i started taking out one by one and switching tracks on the mobo ( originally i was using A2 B2 tracks, this was what the instruction manual said ) for a little while this worked but then i was back to bluescreening, this was the point where i inserted my Windows 10 usb stick and wanted to format, I managed to boot trough biso and got about 30% into the install and another blue screen, this keept on going ... until i finally got to install... but not long after i was straight back to bluescreens

i went to a friends place and tried some of his ram sticks in my computer and used my ram sticks in his computer, my ram sticks had no problems in his computer but i experienced the same issue with his sticks in my computer. i was able to run my sticks in A2 B2 for a while on stock speeds and wanted to stresstest my cpu and memory , i downloaded OCCT and prime95 and hwinfo 64 , what suprised me at this point was that when i pushed my cpu and ram to 100% in a test on occt the temps on my cpu went down to 38c at maximum, on prime95 it was maxed at 55c and i got the Driver Overran Stack buffer error in mozilla when opening tabs and random crashes on mozilla aswell
this was when i suspected the motherboard was faulty, so i ordered a new one of the same type.

i went to my friend and i put my 5950x into the new motherboard and tried to reformat, got two bluescreens and the install just froze and looped on the end of the install, the result of this made me think it was the harddrive, so i put my hardrive into my friends computer, installed windows (without any problems) then i installed the harddrive back to my pc, after that i booted up and got straight into windows.
I updated and installed all drivers ( graphic, chipset ) after i felt the computer was stable and thought that problem was solved by changing motherboard i went into the bios and set D.O.C.P profile and 1800 mhz Fclk , rebooted and everything seemed fine.
i started playing cold war zombie , and about 20 min into the game, it crashed , the game got an error code 0xC0000005 (0x0) N and i was about to reboot my computer to set back to stock speeds on my sticks but when i hit the reboot button i got another blue screen
the computer rebooted and never went past the windows loading screen without a bluescreen

so, at this point i was pretty much clueless on what to do, but there was yet 1 last option.

i installed my old motherboard back to my computer, and installed a 3700X into the motherboard, i formated the mp600 once again and no issues.
im now playing on the same specs as listed but only on a 3700X with oc ram, i played trough on Call of duty cold war zombies no issues , i rebooted computer several times no issues and im writing this to you at this moment without issues

so my question is :

Do i have a faulty 5950x ?
is it a bad combo with the mother board and not compatible?
is it unstable and i just have to live with it until the bios is updated once again?
or do i rma my 5950x ?

i need your help!

thanks you all for your patience and your help in advance

best regards from a first time amd user and a frustraded old soul that just want to feel the power of the zen 3

Dec 22, 2020
i have a very similar config :

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX
  • 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus
  • Corsair RMi 850W
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3800Mhz 16gb Cl15
  • NZXT Kraken Z63
And I have the same issue. Frequent BSOD without any error code.
I switch RAM , SSD, ... install again and again W10 , with or without drives, software ... same result.

The only 2 things remaining to test ar my 5950 and my Crosshair viii.

if you have any feedbak, it will be great

Dec 22, 2020
Nice builds. The BSODs you get make me think of ram instability. Try running at 3200Mhz and see if they stop.

it was my first thought too. I setup manually the ram frequency at 3200hz , same issue.
i try with another set of ram , same issue.
i try with the default mode (2133hz) , same issue :/

Sep 17, 2020
Well, I think Asus made a crap bios. I think you are the beta tester for their bios development team.
This is what i am afraid of aswell.. im afraid that sending in the cpu would just result in getting it back cause there isnt any issues or getting a new one that behaves the same

i have a very similar config :

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX
  • 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus
  • Corsair RMi 850W
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3800Mhz 16gb Cl15
  • NZXT Kraken Z63
And I have the same issue. Frequent BSOD without any error code.
I switch RAM , SSD, ... install again and again W10 , with or without drives, software ... same result.

The only 2 things remaining to test ar my 5950 and my Crosshair viii.

if you have any feedbak, it will be great
I will definitely answer what my solution is. When i know

Did this happen to you right away, or after some time ?

g-unit1111

Titan
Well, I think Asus made a crap bios. I think you are the beta tester for their bios development team.

It's not just that, the Crosshair series are notorious for bad BIOSes and VRM failures. They're essentially the motherboard equivalent of a high maintenance luxury car (think Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar, etc). I know a couple of the other mods have had them and have had to return them for multiple purposes.

Sep 17, 2020
It's not just that, the Crosshair series are notorious for bad BIOSes and VRM failures. They're essentially the motherboard equivalent of a high maintenance luxury car (think Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar, etc). I know a couple of the other mods have had them and have had to return them for multiple purposes.

but how do i conclude this is a motherboard issue and not a cpu issue?
would i have to buy another brand motherboard and try that instead?
and if that works, would that be a valid rma reason? that the motherboard does not work with the cpu even tho it states that it has ryzen 5000 support on asus homepage?

and if that works, would that be a valid rma reason? that the motherboard does not work with the cpu even tho it states that it has ryzen 5000 support on asus homepage?
It may be worth contacting Asus support and see what they say about your issue

g-unit1111

Titan

CPU issues are extremely rare, it's very difficult to diagnose that it is indeed a CPU issue. Motherboard issues are far more common, and this goes for both AMD and Intel.

Sep 17, 2020
CPU issues are extremely rare, it's very difficult to diagnose that it is indeed a CPU issue. Motherboard issues are far more common, and this goes for both AMD and Intel.
and this is why i need to figure out what's up .. cause my cpu didnt work in either of the 2 motherboards i tried .. or with the other ram sticks .... the only thing that "fixed" the problem was to change from a 5950x to a 3700x

g-unit1111

Titan
and this is why i need to figure out what's up .. cause my cpu didnt work in either of the 2 motherboards i tried .. or with the other ram sticks .... the only thing that "fixed" the problem was to change from a 5950x to a 3700x

That's probably because the BIOS revision on the motherboard wasn't updated to handle the new CPUs. X570 motherboards need an update before you can use the latest CPUs, like the 5950X. Some will allow you to flash the BIOS by USB drive but I'm not sure if Asus has that technology or not.

Sep 17, 2020
That's probably because the BIOS revision on the motherboard wasn't updated to handle the new CPUs. X570 motherboards need an update before you can use the latest CPUs, like the 5950X. Some will allow you to flash the BIOS by USB drive but I'm not sure if Asus has that technology or not.
i had 2702 for a mont with that setup, playing and using my pc for 24/7 ..... then it happened, i looked for a new bios and saw there was one, so i updated without any luck .. so if what you are saying is correct, thats the third bios update that asus releases without 5950x support, cause the first one i belive was 23 something or 24 ...

When i got the pc i could not even boot to bios without using biosflashback

Dec 22, 2020
I found a solution to my issue.
The instability was from the RAM , in auto mode (BIOS 3003) , the mother board doesn't manage properly the 3800mhz.
I activated the D.O.C.P and manually setup the Flickering Frequency to 1900mhz to have a 1:1 ratio.
The system is stable now and works perfectly

Reactions: Flayed
Sep 17, 2020
I found a solution to my issue.
The instability was from the RAM , in auto mode (BIOS 3003) , the mother board doesn't manage properly the 3800mhz.
I activated the D.O.C.P and manually setup the Flickering Frequency to 1900mhz to have a 1:1 ratio.
The system is stable now and works perfectly
i tried this aswell without any luck.. also it could not even work on stock speeds

Oct 7, 2020
Well, with the memory management BSOD, and the fact other ram sticks that are on the mobo’s QVL won’t work properly with or without DocP enabled, and switching out the mobo doesn’t do the trick, when the CPU is swapped, everything turns green and works flawlessly, I’m convinced the IMC is broken. I would just return the chip for a new one, if the new one works, case closed pretty much.

Sep 17, 2020
So, i would like to update this to everyone that may in the future have the same problems.

i did not get any conclusion what the problem was, however i now have rma'd it back to the store i bought it from and they have given me the money back for it, i would not belive they would do that if there was nothing wrong with the cpu

it kind of sucks cause i was one of the first to order (in my country and on that shop) so i got the cpu quite early, now im all the way in the back of the line cause they decided to pay me my money back instead of giving me a new product as soon as there was one.

anyways, it seems the cpu was broken in this case. and i would like to say thanks to everyone who gave it a thought and helped me out!

So, i would like to update this to everyone that may in the future have the same problems.

i did not get any conclusion what the problem was, however i now have rma'd it back to the store i bought it from and they have given me the money back for it, i would not belive they would do that if there was nothing wrong with the cpu

it kind of sucks cause i was one of the first to order (in my country and on that shop) so i got the cpu quite early, now im all the way in the back of the line cause they decided to pay me my money back instead of giving me a new product as soon as there was one.

anyways, it seems the cpu was broken in this case. and i would like to say thanks to everyone who gave it a thought and helped me out!
CPU faults are so rare when they do happen it's the last thing anyone thinks of. Glad you found the problem.

Oct 7, 2020
CPU faults are so rare when they do happen it's the last thing anyone thinks of. Glad you found the problem.
Yes they are, I’ve never experienced any faults with either mobo’s or CPU myself, the only component that had failed on me was a ATI GPU, actually two of them, one 3870x2 and a 4650 if I remember correctly. Bambozle on the other hand had issues with he’s 1080 with a separate water cooler to it, then a 2080ti, guess he’s only unlucky