Question 5950x can't reach 4.9GHz in single processor stress test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2022
Here are my PC specifications:

Case: NZXT H510i Elite (It's a little oven, hot as hell)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 VISION D (Latest BIOS version F15d)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

CPU Cooler: NZXT X63

RAM: 64 GB (4x16GB) @ 3600 MHz DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Neo

GPU: Gigabyte 3080 Vision OC

Boot M.2 SSD: ADATA XPG Gammix S50 Lite 2TB (69% full)

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-1000

When I run the Prime95 test with number of cores set to 1, hyperthreading disabled and small FFT mode (maximum power/heat/ CPU stress), I get these temperatures and frequencies:

PxF20Yq.jpg

As you can see, the maximum frequency never crosses 4.5 GHz, when AMD and the Ryzen Master app even promise 5 GHz (or at least 4.9 GHz).

Is 5 GHz only accessible with "Auto OC" instead of the Default mode inside Ryzen Master?

Is it a PSU problem as it's not delivering 130W but only 119.6W at its peak? Is the CPU automatically throttling itself because the temperature at around 4.5 GHz is already at 87° C ?

If we take into account that Prime95 is probably the most grueling test you can put your CPU through, shouldn't this system be able to reach around 5GHz when "normal" applications are used that don't torture the process?

Dec 21, 2022
Should be in bios. I don't use Ryzen master so it could be there but I'm not familiar with it

Thanks, I'll try it out now!

I just saw that PBO stands for Precision Boost Overdrive which is a form of overclocking. Shouldn't the 5950x reach the advertisted turbo frequency of 5 GHz in its default settings, without any overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.