Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonreyes545

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018
I recently just got the Ryzen 9 5950x, and immediately started benching the CPU on Cinebench R23. On stock clocks, my typical score for the multicore bench is around 14,000 with temps peaking around 70-72C. I have seen people reach scores up to 24,000 on stock, even surpassing Threadripper 2990WX with scores of 30054 overclocked. I don't know if it is my cooling solution or maybe my chip is flawed? Any suggestions?

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
Cooler: NZXT X63 280mm AIO. Push-Pull Configuration
Thermal Paste:
Arctic MX-5 (Will be switching to Liquid Metal for better temps.)

Solution
I recently just got the Ryzen 9 5950x...

I wouldn't suggest changing to liquid metal...it won't buy you enough temp margin to matter, it's potentially dangerous long term and definitely dangerous short term if you aren't perfectly careful with it's application. Should the socket get contaminated with it the motherboard is probably scrap since the metal is pretty much impossible to get out of the porous surface of the plastic.

First thing to ask is whether you're running the latest BIOS for the motherboard, and whether you reset CMOS. It's critical after any hardware change (like CPU) and a very good idea after a BIOS update.

Ryzen 5000 responds very well to PBO and undervolting using Curve Optimizer. That's probably what...
I recently just got the Ryzen 9 5950x...

I wouldn't suggest changing to liquid metal...it won't buy you enough temp margin to matter, it's potentially dangerous long term and definitely dangerous short term if you aren't perfectly careful with it's application. Should the socket get contaminated with it the motherboard is probably scrap since the metal is pretty much impossible to get out of the porous surface of the plastic.

First thing to ask is whether you're running the latest BIOS for the motherboard, and whether you reset CMOS. It's critical after any hardware change (like CPU) and a very good idea after a BIOS update.

Ryzen 5000 responds very well to PBO and undervolting using Curve Optimizer. That's probably what makes the better CB23 scores you're finding online. There are a number of how-to videos on Youtube, varying from the simple all-core curve to individual curves for each core. Look for how-to's that focus on dual-die CPU's (5900/5950) because there are some slight twists to optimizing the curves and PBO.

Last edited:
Solution

brandonreyes545

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018

Ryzen 5000 responds very well to PBO and undervolting using Curve Optimizer. That's probably what makes the better CB23 scores you're finding online. There are a number of how-to videos on Youtube, varying from the simple all-core curve to individual curves for each core. Look for how-to's that focus on dual-die CPU's (5900/5950) because there are some slight twists to optimizing the curves and PBO.

I'll just return the liquid metal then thank you for the heads-up.

As for the CPU, right after I had installed it I had updated the bios and cleared the CMOS. I even downloaded the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard so everything should be running smoothly.

brandonreyes545

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018
I'm stupid.

Game Mode was enabled on Ryzen Master so it disabled 8 out of the 16 cores which lowered multicore scores. After disabling Game Mode and restarting my PC, the rest of the cores turned on and was getting scores of up to 26000 stock.

PSA Don't be like me.

Reactions: uWebb429
Status
Not open for further replies.