Question 5950x random restarts while gaming (and temperature question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Hey,

So recently I upgraded my PC with an Aorus Master X570 and 5950x CPU, marking it as the first PC I'm using with AMD, however I've had some issues...

This is exceedingly rare, but I've noticed twice in the last 2 weeks that my PC has randomly restarted, with both times being during a game (Destiny 2 and AC Valhalla), where the game would appear to freeze, black screen briefly, and then it's booting back into windows.
After this, I tried a stress test (AIDA64), to see if it would happen when the system is being strained, but no, I left it for an hour and it didn't happen. It's also strange in AC Valhalla's case at least, the restart happened during a short game session and I've had longer sessions since without issue.

I'm not sure what the issue would be, but leaning towards MB/CPU, as my GPU I was using on my older MB/CPU for around a month and had no issue.
Is there any way I can try and troubleshoot this or any information I can try and secure to find out why this is happening?
Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

The other question I'm not as concerned about, but wonder. So to cool the 5950x, I invested in a H115i Platinum AIO, which is the first AIO I've got and was expecting great things, but not sure the temps are as great as they should be.
On idle, the CPU is around 55-65 degrees c, and during a game it's around 60-70 degrees c. During the stress test I mentioned earlier too, I noticed the highest temperature it got to was 81 degrees c.
Does this all sound fine for an AIO? I set the fans to all use balanced profile, (Though due to an issue with iCue... or something else I can't nail down, I can't have the program open at all times, as it disconnects frequently and causes the AIO lights to flicker and fans to turn off briefly, so I assume it's set to the balances profile despite the program being inactive)

Thanks

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
81C is fine for peak temps in a stress test....

Check that mainboard is on latest BIOS...

Cool, and yeah it's on the latest "final" BIOS, which basically just added minimum support required to boot 5000 series CPUs. There's a beta one that's been in the works for a while, waiting for that to reach final before flashing that.

Did you reinstall Windows after upgrading?

Yeah, it was essentially a new PC and fully installed windows from clean. I only connected other SSDs/HDDs after containing games/files.

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
As an update, just had the sudden reboot again now, this time not during a game and just browsing the internet.

I'm looking at event viewer, and only things I see just before the reboot are warnings like:
"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID "

I see the critical event acknowledging the system rebooted suddenly:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
Which I don't see any more information contained in this to help..

The only other events I see of interest are WHEA-Loggers that happened after the PC rebooted:
"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 29"

Is there anything I can do to try and nail down what's causing this or fix these events?

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Other update, I managed to find DMP files were created and downloaded WhoCrashed to read them and found all DMPs listed the same cause:

"This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x97E5F6)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFF988F6511A8C0, 0xBEA00000, 0x1000108)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time."

Any suggestions for what I can check/do from here?

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

I have G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 K2 32GVKC 3600 (2x16GB)
I tried memtest86 for it yesterday actually, and had it finish a little over 1 pass and had no issues.
Is that a sufficient test to look into it?

I was also using this RAM on my older Intel/MB for arround 3-4 months and had no issue.

I have G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 K2 32GVKC 3600 (2x16GB)
I tried memtest86 for it yesterday actually, and had it finish a little over 1 pass and had no issues.
Is that a sufficient test to look into it?

I was also using this RAM on my older Intel/MB for arround 3-4 months and had no issue.
Technically, no. You'd want a few passes at least to be sure. But I don't think it's a RAM issue. Are you on latest chipset drivers from AMD website?

Regarding the iCue problems do you have HWINFO64 running at the same time?

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Technically, no. You'd want a few passes at least to be sure. But I don't think it's a RAM issue. Are you on latest chipset drivers from AMD website?

Regarding the iCue problems do you have HWINFO64 running at the same time?

Yup, I installed the latest chipset drivers yesterday, pretty sure I did before, but did again just to be sure.
I've also just tried putting BIOS back into default settings and putting XMP on and disable SATA hotswap. I'm pretty sure it was at default before, but it did say I should have put it at default again after flashing the BIOS, which I didn't do, so hoping that'll fix it too, so we'll see.

I really have no idea with iCue, I didn't have HWINFO or anything else that monitors the CPU (as far as I know anyway), running at the same time, also no persistent driver installed from HWINFO, so I'm not sure if it's a program conflict or.. something else.

On idle, the CPU is around 55-65 degrees c, and during a game it's around 60-70 degrees c. During the stress test I mentioned earlier too, I noticed the highest temperature it got to was 81 degrees c.
Are you using a utility that reports the average temperature? Ryzen processors boost very aggressively from idle and you get temp spikes at each boost which alone aren't very significant. The average temp is the important one as that's the thermal state of the processor as a whole.

I'd look at GPU for cause of lockups in gaming. Probably re-install drivers using a 'clean' install to be sure. And also, after flashing BIOS be sure to do a CMOS reset.

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Are you using a utility that reports the average temperature? Ryzen processors boost very aggressively from idle and you get temp spikes at each boost which alone aren't very significant. The average temp is the important one as that's the thermal state of the processor as a whole.

I'd look at GPU for cause of lockups in gaming. Probably re-install drivers using a 'clean' install to be sure. And also, after flashing BIOS be sure to do a CMOS reset.

Yeah had HWinfo on for about an hour now, average on idle for that is 62C.
I'll try the two things you said too, but seeing the MB only started being used like a bit over 2 weeks ago, the drivers were already installed clean, same for the BIOS that it never had a CPU or etc. before when I flashed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.