[SOLVED] 5950x scalpers online when will more be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
you can surely trust them to price gouge
But only so long as their customers continue to bid up the price. What we're seeing is true open market economics, where the people who absolutely must have the fastest desktop processor in the world are willing to pay (nearly) any price to get it. How long that will last, allowing bids to drop down to around true MSRP and make scalping no longer viable, depends entirely on how many people there are who truly need it that badly.

I have to imagine AMD's dropping them off to distributors as fast as they can right now. It's probably a combination of how many good dies get through the binning process combined with slower than normal world-wide shipping in the pandemic. I also see an...
you can surely trust them to price gouge
But only so long as their customers continue to bid up the price. What we're seeing is true open market economics, where the people who absolutely must have the fastest desktop processor in the world are willing to pay (nearly) any price to get it. How long that will last, allowing bids to drop down to around true MSRP and make scalping no longer viable, depends entirely on how many people there are who truly need it that badly.

I have to imagine AMD's dropping them off to distributors as fast as they can right now. It's probably a combination of how many good dies get through the binning process combined with slower than normal world-wide shipping in the pandemic. I also see an effect that if they're trying to scatter them all over the world they're less likely to get all that many in the hands of any one retailer. That makes it easy for just a few scalpers to empty stocks quickly even when their 'bots are able to get only one at a time.

BTW: I "watched" around 300-500 5800X's go out the door over the last few days from the Microcenter's "close" to me by watching stocks diminish day to day. Being a 'brick and mortar' retailer they had a no online sales policy so it's easy to see that far more of them actually ended up in end-users machines at retail.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.