[SOLVED] 5950x Temperatures reaching 81C

Garfieldwxg55

Commendable
Mar 30, 2021
Hi, recently I bought a Ryzen 5950x processor, and a 360mm AIO to cool it. When running Cinebench R23, and playing Minecraft with the SEUS PTGI shader enabled, I noticed that the CPU temps would sit at around 60C-75C, but once peaking at 81C. Recently, however, I left my computer running with several applications open, and when coming back to the computer, after using it for around half an hour, the computer shut itself off and gave me a CPU overheated error. After enter the system BIOS, the fans in the system started much faster then they ever have so as a precaution I shut the computer off to let the CPU cool down. After waiting for around 15-30 minutes, I tried restarting the computer, and it wouldn't turn back on. After waiting for a few more hours, it did end up turning back on. I am running no overclock, so I was surprised to have this happen. Are these temps normal for a 5950x, or could I have an issue with my thermal paste/AIO?
Many thanks

sonofjesse

Distinguished
We get a lot of cpu temps questions here weekly. This one seems little odd, maybe we need more information. (shutting off before thermal limit??) 81C is under the technical thermal limit (maybe it spiked).

What is your level of experience of building computers? (first build, or 50th build?)
What is your level of experience with AIO's?
What thermal paste?
Full system specs?

Here is another thread.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...Cpu is now running at,cpu from running as hot.

Garfieldwxg55

Commendable
Mar 30, 2021
I didn't build the computer myself, it was a custom order from a local builder. The thermal paste was this:
https://www.startech.com/en-au/computer-parts/silvgrease1
The full system specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: Asus TUF Gaming 3090 OC
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Neo 3600Mhz C18
Storage: Corsair Force MP600 2TB
AIO: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix 360mm cooler
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w 80+ Platinum
I'll make sure the AIO is running at 100% in the bios :)

Reactions: Bassman999