[SOLVED] 5950x Temperatures, Voltage, and Power Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2021
Hello y’all,

I’m just a little concerned with the temps and voltages of my new Ryzen 9 5950x.

First off, in the BIOS it’s stating that it’s idling at 50C and the voltage is at 1.468V which seems extremely high to me.

When I launch into Windows and open HWMonitor it does come down to 43C and the voltage hovers around 1.03V But it doesn’t stop it from spiking to 1.48V!

Also, when just opening a Windows task as simple as File Explorer, it’ll spike to 50C. Under loads with an average 7% usage and 85W power draw is sitting right at 70C. Wouldn’t that be considered higher than normal?

Lastly, I know this CPU’s TDP is at 105W but I’ll see it head well into the 120W range under certain loads.

I genuinely have no idea what are normal temps considering every post I see online has different results. So if anyone has any advice that would be great!

Side note: I’m running a Noctua NH-D15 for a CPU cooler.

Solution
First off, in the BIOS it’s stating that it’s idling at 50C and the voltage is at 1.468V which seems extremely high to me.

When I launch into Windows and open HWMonitor it does come down to 43C and the voltage hovers around 1.03V But it doesn’t stop it from spiking to 1.48V!

Also, when just opening a Windows task as simple as File Explorer, it’ll spike to 50C. Under loads with an average 7% usage and 85W power draw is sitting right at 70C. Wouldn’t that be considered higher than normal?
This is normal and intended behavior, 1.5V for light workloads(=low current) is safe. In high current workloads CPU will drop clock speed and voltage much lower. Also main temperature figure is from hottest spot within CPU, it's not actual...
Oct 9, 2021
Hello y’all,

I’m just a little concerned with the temps and voltages of my new Ryzen 9 5950x.

Lastly, I know this CPU’s TDP is at 105W but I’ll see it head well into the 120W range under certain loads.

I genuinely have no idea what are normal temps considering every post I see online has different results. So if anyone has any advice that would be great!

Side note: I’m running a Noctua NH-D15 for a CPU cooler.
What are the rest of your specs? like what mobo or GPU do you have? Any case fans etc?

Oct 9, 2021
As a test, remove the side panel. If temps drop significantly either you case doesn't have enough air flow, or you need more fans or different setup/profiles.

If it doesn't, revisit your paste and cooler attachment just to be sure.

All that aside, it is a beast of a CPU...
Do this and let us know how it runs without the side panel.

Reactions: govvern

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
Let me 1st congrat you for that nuts cpu. Second, 70C for a beast like that I don't think we can consider to hot.
The max temp is 90C so you are 20C far from that mark which is more then enough.
In any case, do the punkcat test.

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021

This is normal and intended behavior, 1.5V for light workloads(=low current) is safe. In high current workloads CPU will drop clock speed and voltage much lower. Also main temperature figure is from hottest spot within CPU, it's not actual temperature of the whole CPU unless it's sustained load and temperatures get equalized. Light load spikes are localized while rest of the CPU stays around same temp. Level of cooling is irrelevant, it doesn't have any impact. I suggest to use HWInfo64, it can read multiple sensors(CCDs, cores individually, IO die) from CPU and gives much better picture of thermals.
This is my 5800X with one core boosting momentarily. Notice how Tctl/Tdie is 67C while most of the cores are around 40C and IOD is 36C.
5LtDayJ.jpeg

7% usage might look like very small but it's worth of two threads at 100% which typically means two cores are boosting to max. Your CPU has 32 threads so one thread at 100% is 3.1% of total.
At stock AMD 105W TDP processor has 142W max power limit. It's how they work.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.